Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Hey, whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night and justify your dishonesty. I hope someday you realize that you act as dishonestly and slimy as the people you complain about.
They make the rules. I just play by them. If you try to bully information that is none of your business from me don't be surprised if I just lie to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If a company is paying you as little as possible, then you aren't very good at your job. I have seen people quit and the company go after them offering more money for them to come back. Stop using companies as an excuse and try and improve yourself to the point where you deserve what you lie through your teeth to try and get.
Or they have you locked up in an iron-clad post-employment ban that requires you to leave the workforce for a year or move away if you quit....

I had one of the highest reviews in a department of 1000+ for several years, produced solid evidence of how I saved us $2.4M on one contract (even got my research methods published), and provided an industry produced salary survey showing I was being paid below the 10th percentile.
And the response was "if you quit, we will fine your new employer double your salary at your new position" (this is post-employment law for my public sector employer, not a non-compete contract).
Although, at least the procurement supervisor on that contract where I cut $2.4M got a $2k bonus for being the single employee who saved the most money that year :P

Some states favor employees on post-employment restrictions. But other states (like Missouri) are aggressively pro-employer on post-employment restrictions and are perfectly okay with 6 to 12 month regional post-employment bans. That gives employers huge amounts of leverage.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
According to this site
Legal Ability of a Potential Employer to Verify Salary History

I am not sure under what circumstances most companies will disclose your salary and how they know the person asking is a potential employer, the background check contractor, or a bank verifying income for a mortgage.

Personally I think most companies should respect a candidate's right not to give the info if they are uncomfortable. If the candidate is uncomfortable they are probably underpaid, they know it and are angered by it which is why they are looking, and if you use their salary info to lowball them you will anger them and they will either reject your offer outright or they will take it and quit soon after for a higher offer either way the company loses.
I'm not so sure about that text you cited...
my employer publishes my salary in the newspaper whether I want them to or not.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 AM

819 posts, read 3,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Please cite applicable state or federal law backing up your point. I will be patient while you spend a lot of time googling.

You will come up empty, as there is no such law.

Wow no reason to get snarky. Do you feel better about yourself now?

I guess I should have said, My company has a policy of not providing this information. I would assume that most companies would do the same thing.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post

I guess I should have said, My company has a policy of not providing this information. I would assume that most companies would do the same thing.
some companies do, some don't.

my previous employer (as i mentioned before, a very large hospital system that runs absolutely everything it does past an army of lawyers) will not disclose anything about my performance but will disclose dates of employment and salary information.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post

Your OP was simply wrong, providing less informed readers with misinformation. You did not post your company's policy, you stated it as a universally applicable law. Very different things.

Your assumption that most companies do it the same way as your employer is also wrong. Many do it that way, but many do not.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Or they have you locked up in an iron-clad post-employment ban that requires you to leave the workforce for a year or move away if you quit....
Even the most aggressive pro-employer state could not uphold such a contract. That should be challenged in court. Frankly your employer should be arrested. You could also find employment in a different state with more lenient courts. They would for sure laugh that contract out of court and award you damages, legal fees etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
This threads gone way off the reservation...

Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Let me know if you can figure out how to do it online. I tried last week and no joy, even though it says you can, so I'm going to do it via snail mail. Unless you are successful...
I am doing it snailmail. My employer is not a member.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I would say that unless they require you to provide your W2's or paystubs and you actually give it to them, most likely there's no way for them to verify the exact amount. You hear these scare tactics from HR reps, but here in California, they're required to send you a copy of the background checks, and I don't see any salary information confirmed. They only confirm whether you've worked at a specific company and for what dates.
They can ask your former employer what your last salary was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search