Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The overall theme is that if someone is behaving badly you don't owe them the truth, whether they are a child molester, a petty crook, or an HR Person/Manager looking to rip you off.
So you are saying that an HR Manager is pretty much the same as a child molester?

You need help, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You could definitely be fired for it. Next time, instead of lying prove to them that you are worth a higher salary. The only people who say that you have to lie to get a higher salary are the people who can't prove they are worth it.
Agreed. That pretty much falls in line with the fact that the only people who have to lie on their CV / resume are those who simply are not good enough to qualify for a position on their own merit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
So you are saying that an HR Manager is pretty much the same as a child molester?

You need help, dude.
You need better reading comprehension. Everyone in the comparison series behaves badly (from worst to least) and everyone has an opinion as to how badly someone needs to act for it to be ok to lie to them or where to draw the line. As far as I'm concerned when someone is acting badly they don't warrant your honesty. I didn't think I would need to explain the comparison as it was pretty simple.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-14-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 05:43 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,673,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

You need help, dude.

It seems you need help in understanding plain english. He said if someone behaves badly then it is ok to lie to them. I would say i disagree with his statement but your post is a made up comment attributed to someone else.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,447 times
I have hired many people in the technical field and always ask for their prior salary. If they choose not to give it, that's fine. The company has a set pay scale for different classifications and years of experience with overlap between classifications, so some leeway for the hiring manager. I always start with 25% penetration in the pay range of the appropriate classification. However, if the applicant gives me his prior salary, I have at times offered higher to prevent him from having to consider a pay cut. I've never lowered an offer because an applicant's prior salary was low or because he was unemployed. I once had a person tell me his prior salary and it was 40% of what I was going to offer him, and I didn't change the offer.

You can't assume giving your prior salary will cause you to automatically be "low balled". If you have competitive skills and are in demand, the person doing the hiring is interested in making the offer attractive. On the other hand, if you have no particular skills that a person walking in from the street doesn't have, the you shouldn't expect an offer at all.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:37 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsemark View Post
I have hired many people in the technical field and always ask for their prior salary. If they choose not to give it, that's fine. The company has a set pay scale for different classifications and years of experience with overlap between classifications, so some leeway for the hiring manager. I always start with 25% penetration in the pay range of the appropriate classification. However, if the applicant gives me his prior salary, I have at times offered higher to prevent him from having to consider a pay cut. I've never lowered an offer because an applicant's prior salary was low or because he was unemployed. I once had a person tell me his prior salary and it was 40% of what I was going to offer him, and I didn't change the offer.

You can't assume giving your prior salary will cause you to automatically be "low balled". If you have competitive skills and are in demand, the person doing the hiring is interested in making the offer attractive. On the other hand, if you have no particular skills that a person walking in from the street doesn't have, the you shouldn't expect an offer at all.
Excellent post. My experience and philosophy exactly, except for the 40% part. I bet you made that guys day!

Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,447 times
Well he was a designer at a small firm and they paid very little. He got his degree and they never increased his salary. He was making much less than what we give new graduates right out of school.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:00 PM

341 posts, read 1,536,107 times
I work in television and when leaving one network I was offered a job at another, the HR folks asked me my current salary (which was low for my title because my last promotion was a "battlefield commission" during a hiring freeze). The new network absolutely used it to low ball me claiming that, as a very large corporation, they had an algorithm for determining salary offers that was tied to what the candidate was earning previously. The offer was a 30% increase, but still low for the title. They would not budge. And they def would have checked my w2s.

I ended up taking a job at a smaller, independent company for much more, which I delighted in telling the same head hunter when he called me a year later for the same job.

I know another producer who got hired... then 6 months later they used the fact that he had lied on his application as grounds for dismissal (with 1.5 years left on his contract). Guess what he lied about? Salary (and official title). Now, this was information they had to have long before it. But he was underperforming and the execs wanted him off their headcount. Does HR hold onto these things till they need them? Is it like insurance companies collecting premiums, then denying claims later when they "discover" a problem on the application? Maybe.

So, being honest about my salary screwed me at first, but was the only choice. In the end, much better doors opened.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
BTW companies do not pay people what they deserve. They pay as little as they can get away with and frequently less which is why money ranks up there as one of the top reasons people quit.
Companies are in the business of creating profit for their shareholders, not handing out sacks of cash to their workers. However, they pay employees based on their ability to generate value for those same shareholders in terms of productivity, sales, or generally contributing to overall profitability. And employees who demonstrate that in quantifiable terms are indeed rewarded and promoted.

People who complain about not getting what they deserve are generally people who have never learned to negotiate worth a damn. And negotiating begins with walking in with an honest, dollars-and-cents discussion of how the company benefits from their being there. Demonstrate value to the company and you will be compensated accordingly.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsemark View Post

This.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,396,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This is unequivocally false. You aren't very good at playing lawyer.
Try again. If someone says "I did not think Jim was a very good employee" if they are telling the honest truth and have the motive of telling the truth, there is NO legal repercussion.

If you are so good at "playing lawyer" as you call it, please find a single law that states otherwise.

Start now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search