Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 PM

11,268 posts, read 11,032,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
Personally, new emails at the top of the page are more likely to catch my eye vs. something halfway down the screen.
Have you ever thought of it this way?...... If you apply at 8am for a job, you're already halfway down the hiring managers e-mail list because of all the unemployed people who applied for the position between the close of business and on through the night up till 8am?

That, of course, is assuming the job wasn't just posted at the opening of business that morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
As a hiring manager, when I have an opening I log into the system several times during the day to see if any new applications have come in. I review them first, then tell HR which to invite for interviews. They check me to make sure they meet the minimum requirements. The time of day or day the person applies is of no use to me. In fact, the person I recently hired for one of my higher paying jobs applied at 11pm on the last day, 1 hour before the deadline.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:38 PM

231 posts, read 294,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
I'm going to go against the current of the thread here.

YES. DO THIS. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA.

Why? Well, my wife's been in HR for over 20 years, and at one point was a recruiting director for an IT firm. Her explanation is that (and I don't mean to step on any feet here, but this is what she says) most recruiters are both clueless and lazy, and if you're at the top of the list in their e-mail box when they get to work in the morning, you may well be the first person called, especially if you look like a good fit for the position being offered.

Another related way to make this work for you is to update any resume or profile you have on Monster, Dice or any other jobs website. Those sites will present the most recent updates/uploads first, so go into your rez/profile on those sites and make a tiny change, then save it. When the borks start trolling those sites after they roll in to work, you'll be up near the top.

Good luck in your job search.
Thanks!...I know I'm not completely crazy haha. I'm going to keep doing this, really can't hurt & based on your input it might actually be beneficial. I feel like If I apply during the evening/late night ..my resume is going to be buried under a flock of night owls

I am a night owl myself, but I always set my alarm for 8 or 9, press the send button & go back to sleep

Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Have you ever thought of it this way?...... If you apply at 8am for a job, you're already halfway down the hiring managers e-mail list because of all the unemployed people who applied for the position between the close of business and on through the night up till 8am?

That, of course, is assuming the job wasn't just posted at the opening of business that morning.
When reading emails don't most people usually start at the top & work their way down? I know I do

Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
I send my resume electronically as soon as I see the ad that I'm qualified for. Regardless of the time, night or day, off it goes.
applying on a company's site is different..I agree that It probably doesn't matter at all...but when you're instructed to send your resume to a specific email/person, I feel like good timing should be considered by the applicant.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Makes no difference at all.

I will be reviewing rsumestomorrow morning for a position I want to fill ASAP. Last I looked about 12 people had met min quals. I will review all of them and I will never even look to see when they came in.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,397 times
Quote:
applying on a company's site is different..I agree that It probably doesn't matter at all...but when you're instructed to send your resume to a specific email/person, I feel like good timing should be considered by the applicant.
If I'm perusing classifieds at night and happen across something I'm qualified for, and it states to reply to a specific email address, I will send my resume and cover letter right then, regardless if it's 8:00 p.m. or later. It'll be in their Inbox to see first thing the next morning.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
If I'm perusing classifieds at night and happen across something I'm qualified for, and it states to reply to a specific email address, I will send my resume and cover letter right then, regardless if it's 8:00 p.m. or later. It'll be in their Inbox to see first thing the next morning.
I am under the impression that If I send a resume out at ~10pm there's going to be at least 5-10 more applicants who will be submitting later that night.

I'm way too realistic to believe that my application is going to be the first thing they see in the morning.

This might be different for more experienced applicants..but competition at the entry-level is a b*tch.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Makes no difference at all.

I will be reviewing rsumestomorrow morning for a position I want to fill ASAP. Last I looked about 12 people had met min quals. I will review all of them and I will never even look to see when they came in.
most people probably aren't as thorough as you though...You have to assume the hiring manager is lazy. Especially when applying for positions likely to have over 100 applicants.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 PM

763 posts, read 2,605,397 times
Quote:
I am under the impression that If I send a resume out at ~10pm there's going to be at least 5-10 more applicants who will be submitting later that night.

I'm way too realistic to believe that my application is going to be the first thing they see in the morning.

This might be different for more experienced applicants..but competition at the entry-level is a b*tch.
I have known HR reps who have special email addresses just for folks to send resumes, as to not clog up their personal Inbox at work. I don't know if they personally go through each and every email, but I did have an interviewer tell me a couple of months ago that it was my cover letter that got her attention. She told me it was the most well-written, inclusive cover letter she'd ever read. Unfortunately, I didn't get that job, but it did make me feel better about my cover letter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search