Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,461 times

Advertisements

If employers truly have so much trouble finding employees with the talent and skills they need, why do they typically hire someone for the job that knows someone or was referred, over the thousands of resume submittals they receive? I mean none of those thousands of resumes had what they were looking for and that one referral did? It makes no sense.

Then employers say referrals are better, yet I know people who were eventually referred to jobs after looking for about a year on online for jobs (which meant they were not desirable), but then eventually got a job offer from someone they knew (which means they were the best candidate). But that is a contradiction because employers say the most desirable employees are not on job boards, but these people that got referred would have been deemed not desirable by the companies they got hired by if they had not been referred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I have no sympathy for companies that can't find qualified and competent employees. It all boils down to one of these things:

1. They are not willing to pay a decent rate to attract and retain the quality, intelligent, and pre-trained employees that they claim they need. How long do you think an engineer or scientist is going to work for a temp agency for less than $20 per hour before realizing they have better options and either leave your company or leave the field entirely?

2. Purple Squirrel-ism. Everyone is responsible for training the workforce except your company. The Universe should just magically pop out epoxy formulations chemists with 10 years of the exact experience you are looking for.

3. Dysfuntional Hiring system. Stop letting a stupid computer pick who is qualified for an interview based on which acronym and synonyms are present in which field, how many yes answers there are to your ridiculously over specific questions. [Have you used an Agilent 1290 with a API 3000 MS/MS to measure the concentration of Inosine monophosphate on a Thursday before Yes/No). Stop jerking around candidates for 90 minutes with your terrible application system. It doesn't select for better candidates only more desperate ones.

Get HR back on their leash. Let them sort resumes, administer benefits, and plan parties. That is all they are competent to do. Don't let them jerk around candidates with writing assignment, junk science psychological assessment tests, retarded behavioral interviewing and all their other nonsense that selects for nonsense rather than competence. If you select for BS you will get a good BSer. Are you hiring someone to do a job or go to job interviews every day? Don't let them impose their bigotries on potential employees. We don't want to hire the unemployed, this person has a gap, this person is overqualified, this person doesn't have 20 supervisory references. In more than one case I've withdrawn from consideration exasperated at dealing with out of control HR morons.

In short companies need to stop blaming the workforce for their greed, ineptitude and short-sightedness.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 11-24-2013 at 09:37 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
Here’s an example of the madness - I got this "exciting engineering opportunity" in my email a month or so back.

-----------------------
Below are some key highlights of the position, if this is of interest please let me know. I would be happy to arrange a time to discuss the details and /or to further determine which types of opportunities you may be interested in exploring.

Term: Temp Contract
Title: Manufacturing Engineer I – 000/3242
NOTE: NEW - Candidates will need experience with Minitab, ORACLE and Pro/E. Position requires a Bachelors degree and 2 or more years experience reviewing engineering documentation for updates/changes. looking for local candidates. They will need safety shoes and glasses for this 1st shift 40 hour per week position.

Brief Job Description:
• You will be a part of a Manufacturing Engineering team supporting a wide range of infant care products for both NICU and Labor & Delivery settings.
• Members of this team perform a number of crossfunctional duties as needed to support production and ensure our products are manufactured to meet quality, reliability and cost requirements in addition to meeting or exceeding customer expectations.
• The main emphasis of this position will be day to day manufacturing support including production process & equipment troubleshooting, process documentation creation and updating, and production process improvement.
• This position will also have the opportunity to participate in transitioning processes to the CLIENT Production System (formerly Lean).
This is a senior engineering role that will have a significant effect on Quality, Cost and Delivery of current and future CARE products.
• You will be expected to drive to goals at times with minimal supervision, to analyze designs and investigate failures, implement technical solutions and document your process steps.
• You may also supervise or coordinate the work of others to achieve specific business goals.

Specific Skills/Requirements:
• BS in an Engineering discipline.
• Minimum of 5 years work experience in Manufacturing Engineering, Support, or Operations with at least 2 years working in a medical products environment is preferred.
• Experience in mechanical design including assembly layout, GD&T, tolerance and process capability stack-ups is also preferred.
• Familiar with general processes of Engineering Change Orders (ECOs), Temporary Change Orders (TCs), Product Rework. Knowledge of FDA Quality Systems Regulations.
• Demonstrated leadership and problem solving skills.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills.
• Flexible and capable of dealing with multiple projects crossing functional boundaries.
• Six Sigma Greenbelt certification or training.
• May require occasional travel.
• Overtime will be required as necessary.
• You must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process.
• You must be willing to submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.

Desired:
• Six Sigma Blackbelt certification or training.
• *Pro-E or other CAD tool experience.

-------------------

Summary: So, engineering jobs with 5+ years of experience requirements are now only worthy of a TEMPORARY, contract position, despite this job requiring the kitchen sink to be "qualified." And it only pays about $25 an hour, which wouldn't be terrible if it was a full-time job, but it isn't. The contract would last, at most, 6-months, from what the recruiter told me. I also can't be the only one who "loves" the idea of a senior engineering role for infant care related medical equipment being a temp job. What could go wrong with that? It's as stupid as the temp-job airframe analysis engineering positions I saw a few years ago... nothing like putting a ton of responsibility on a poorly paid temp work who won't be around to fix the problems when they come up later. Brilliant!

Gee, I wonder why companies are having a hard time finding people with a laundry list of narrow requirements for temporary contract work that doesn't even pay all that well? What a surprise! Who'd have guessed?! But nevermind that - let's just keep outsourcing the jobs, increasing the requirements, and getting rid of job security or real jobs. What could go wrong?

Last edited by Rambler123; 11-24-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
Company: Aerotek Scientific
Category: Scientific Jobs
Rate: $10.00 to $12.00 per Hour (would you like fries with those results)
Job Type: Contract-to-Hire
Posting ID: 2953193
Posting Date: 11/19/2013 Allegis Group Family of Hiring Companies

Apply Online for this Job Today
Already a Member?If you're currently a thingamajob.com member? Please apply here. Not a Member?We're hiring. Create an account and you can apply for some of the most desirable Scientific job opportunities in the country.

Entry Level Chemist Job Description:
Aerotek Scientific is currently seeking entry-level chemist with a background in sciences.

Requirements:
-BS Degree in Chemistry, Biology or other Science
-Basic analytical testing.
-QC testing ability/knowledge.
-Documentation & Data Analysis.

Qualified candidates that MEET these requirements should apply directly to job posting.

Required Skills for Entry Level Chemist Job:
■CHEMISTRY
■LAB TECHNICIAN
■LAB TEST INSTRUMENTS
■LAB TEST
■BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE
About Aerotek Scientific:

Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,752 times
MSChemist80: Ouch... okay, you win, or lose, depending upon how one looks at it. Yeesh... I haven't seen an engineering job yet that pays under $20, but they are working really hard to get it down to that level, and keep it all temp work to boot... with 5+ years of narrow requirements, of course.

But that posting just takes the cake! Wow!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,017,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Stop jerking around candidates for 90 minutes with your terrible application system.It doesn't select for better candidates only more desperate ones.

Get HR back on their leash. Let them sort resumes, administer benefits, and plan parties. That is all they are competent to do. Don't let them jerk around candidates with writing assignment, junk science psychological assessment tests, retarded behavioral interviewing and all their other nonsense that selects for nonsense rather than competence. If you select for BS you will get a good BSer. Are you hiring someone to do a job or go to job interviews every day? Don't let them impose their bigotries on potential employees. We don't want to hire the unemployed, this person has a gap, this person is overqualified, this person doesn't have 20 supervisory references. In more than one case I've withdrawn from consideration exasperated at dealing with out of control HR morons.

In short companies need to stop blaming the workforce for their greed, ineptitude and short-sightedness.
Damn MS, you laid it down there. I couldn't have said it better myself. This goes for ALL types of open positions out there. I'm so tired of putting forth 90+ minutes applying and jumping through hoops just to get a canned rejection letter a couple days later. A rejection letter with no reason, after meeting ALL of the criteria on the job posting. And then the job notice is left on the active board for another two months (or re-posted with a fresh date) as if they can't find a quality candidate to fill the position. Pathetic.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
Its freaking ridiculous that ypu're put through this crap.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Employers are there to make money, if they think such requirements will make them more successful then they keep using them. Eventually someone is hired, so it must be working for them. Sometimes it makes more sense to take more time in the hiring process to get the person they are looking for rather than "settle". I would never hire someone from a referral, having done it a couple of times against my better judgement as a favor I got burned both times and ended up firing them.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,652 times
Also these so called red flags that gets someone summarily rejected such as

Being unemployed for too long.

Any gap in employment for any reason

Bad credit or excessive debt in collection

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Also these so called red flags that gets someone summarily rejected such as

Being unemployed for too long.

Any gap in employment for any reason

Bad credit or excessive debt in collection

Sent from my iPhone 5 using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]
Not being "local."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search