Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Although I really only partake when I an in Holland anymore I am glad tests are not allowed here.
No one should use your urine against you. If they can't catch you fairly their problem.
What exactly is your definition of "fairly"? If not through drug testing how would you "fairly catch someone" using drugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What exactly is your definition of "fairly"? If not through drug testing how would you "fairly catch someone" using drugs?

I would venture to say that he means that if there is no evidence of someone being intoxicated while on the job, then it isn't the employer's business what that person does on their own time. Again, it's always the cannabis users that get caught due to the slow breakdown of the THC molecule in the body. Just because THC is in your system, it does not mean that the individual is currently under the influence.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I would venture to say that he means that if there is no evidence of someone being intoxicated while on the job, then it isn't the employer's business what that person does on their own time. Again, it's always the cannabis users that get caught due to the slow breakdown of the THC molecule in the body. Just because THC is in your system, it does not mean that the individual is currently under the influence.
That doesn't do an employer much good when screening new hires. I don't want to hire a crack head just because they managed to get it together during the interview. That argument can also be used for a criminal background.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
That doesn't do an employer much good when screening new hires. I don't want to hire a crack head just because they managed to get it together during the interview. That argument can also be used for a criminal background.

I more than likely wouldn't hire a crack head either. However; I would have no issue hiring a pot smoker. Just don't do it while you're on the clock. That goes for any substance, alcohol...xanax... oxys...ect.... Furthermore, if you're going to screen me, then screen me on my personality, my credentials, and work experience. Do not try to extract bodily fluids from me, which I find a huge violation of my individual liberties.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I more than likely wouldn't hire a crack head either. However; I would have no issue hiring a pot smoker. Just don't do it while you're on the clock. That goes for any substance, alcohol...xanax... oxys...ect.... Furthermore, if you're going to screen me, then screen me on my personality, my credentials, and work experience. Do not try to extract bodily fluids from me, which I find a huge violation of my individual liberties.
But if you don't want your bodily fluids given up how do you know if you are hiring the guy that does meth, crack, etc? What if the job involves driving a company vehicle or working with machinery?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
But if you don't want your bodily fluids given up how do you know if you are hiring the guy that does meth, crack, etc? What if the job involves driving a company vehicle or working with machinery?

So if someone smoked a joint let's say two weeks ago, keeping in mind that the effects of cannabis wears off in 1-3 hours, with no after effects, you're telling me that you believe they're still under the influence?

Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM

327 posts, read 774,620 times
Businesses have every right to exclude hiring workers who use nicotine or other drugs unless using those drugs puts the user in a protected class. Those that don't agree with these policies probably aren't a good fit for the company's culture, so they would probably be better off finding somewhere else to work.

I imagine a lot of the companies that are drug free now will continue to stay that way even as marijuana becomes legalized unless they have problems finding qualified candidates that don't use.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
Businesses have every right to exclude hiring workers who use nicotine or other drugs unless using those drugs puts the user in a protected class. Those that don't agree with these policies probably aren't a good fit for the company's culture, so they would probably be better off finding somewhere else to work.

I imagine a lot of the companies that are drug free now will continue to stay that way even as marijuana becomes legalized unless they have problems finding qualified candidates that don't use.

Correct. Which is why I like the company that I work for. While we do have a production side, they still do not feel the need to try and be a bunch of nannies. In a way it's also kind of like a don't ask don't tell. I've worked for a big company, and now I'm with a small company, and I can tell you I will never again work for ANYONE who feels they need to play dictator, and want to enforce a policy that extends to my private life, just because of some red tape bureaucratic BS from the insurance companies. When I'm putting in my 8 hour day, I'll give you my all, and do my job to the best of my abilities. Outside of work... stay out of my private life.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
That stuff is out of the system in like 3 days, pre-employment drug screening is really only for cannabis users.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
That stuff is out of the system in like 3 days, pre-employment drug screening is really only for cannabis users.

Correct. And it's the least harmful of all substances. There is no proof of physical addiction. There is also no proof of anyone dying from overdose. You cannot say the same about other substances whether they're legal or illegal! I mean, I could drink a bottle of Robitusin, and it's a good bet that I would wind up in the hospital! At any rate, while I don't advocate being high while at work, operating machinery, or driving, I do think that it's absolutely ridiculous to that one would think that just because there is THC in someone's system from several weeks ago, it means that they're still impaired! So indeed, drug testing is quite flawed, not to mention intrusive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search