Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
I just won't work for less than $11 an hour. And a lot of these employers want to pay peanuts for difficult back-breaking work.

State your desired rate on your cover letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 05:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That's what I do.

If there's no stated salary, I don't bother. I figure there's a reason why it isn't shown, and that is probably because they will try to lowball me.
Win.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:36 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,790,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
That's what I do.

If there's no stated salary, I don't bother. I figure there's a reason why it isn't shown, and that is probably because they will try to lowball me.
That's not true and you may be missing out on a position that will be paying you what you want or more as often as one that is way below what you are looking for.

I applied for a job knowing that there was a good possibility that it would pay less that what I'm looking for because the cost of living is much lower than where I currently live. When I spoke to the recruiter she even warned me that the salary may be lower than I expected and then proceeded to tell me what they expect to pay and to my surprise the salary quoted was a little more than I made at my old position and when factoring in COL I would be making almost 50% more.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,356,597 times
They want to be annoying, even more so than they already are, by not posting it. I HATE when they ask me during their first call, "What are your salary expectations?" I hate that! It sets people up. Not a good start IMO.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post
They want to be annoying, even more so than they already are, by not posting it. I HATE when they ask me during their first call, "What are your salary expectations?" I hate that! It sets people up. Not a good start IMO.
This is true: employers these days want to be annoying. I would never state an expectation when I was looking and would say "I accept what you pay". No way I was going to go too high and have that fall back at me.

Also, get this people: there's no negotiating for 99% of the population. Here's who negotiates: people who earn seven figure salaries. That's who!

Most people are not so exceptionally talented or gifted, resourceful, connected, or smart that a company can't get someone similar. Middle class people seldom win in negotiation and if they do it is for what, an extra 2,000 bucks a year, an extra 50 bucks to a paycheck?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 PM

255 posts, read 402,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
State your desired rate on your cover letter.
Most of these jobs don't ask for a cover letter. Just a resume.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 PM

358 posts, read 512,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Unions used to set the bar for decent working conditions and fair pay.

Who will do that now?
I decide what I'm willing to work for and where and under what conditions, not some union.

A business won't post the potential wage because it might vary depending on the experience and capabilities of the applicant. But it won't vary much and only the most unusual hire will get anything above what is the norm.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
I decide what I'm willing to work for and where and under what conditions, not some union.

A business won't post the potential wage because it might vary depending on the experience and capabilities of the applicant. But it won't vary much and only the most unusual hire will get anything above what is the norm.
I've never heard anyone who made a living with their hands utter such nonsense.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
Some do, but many don't. And it's just becoming a waste of my time having to go through the process of getting an interview/being interviewed only to find the wages offered are too low.

I can understand why employers who are looking for fill highly-skilled positions wouldn't include a salary offer in a job posting. I'm talking about lower wage work. I'm a student and currently have a night delivery job. I'm always on the look out for something else though.

I just won't work for less than $11 an hour. And a lot of these employers want to pay peanuts for difficult back-breaking work. If they intend to offer only $9/hr in wages, why not just say that in their job posting and save everyone from wasting their time?

I had an interview today for a job, that while wouldn't qualify as skilled, still requires some knowledge and experience to do efficiently. The pay? $9.50/hr. No thanks, I told the gentlemen. He looked completely shocked. "You don't want to work?" he said to me. "Not for those wages" I said.

Probably because you need them more than they need you and if you turn down the job at the wage they offer the next guy in line will probably think he has hit the jackpot.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Probably because you need them more than they need you and if you turn down the job at the wage they offer the next guy in line will probably think he has hit the jackpot.
I think that's the way it is with most "unskilled labor". I hesitate to use the term unskilled because even something as mundane as answering phones or data entry requires a level of efficiency that can only come with experience. It takes skill to be a very efficient data entry person. But, I think with most low paying jobs (and I consider anything under $13 an hour low paying) the employer holds all the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search