Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:35 PM

417 posts, read 867,933 times

Advertisements

Yes, you should lie about everything...background, past jobs, criminal history, name, education, etc. Secret to success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
After all the ugly behavior from employers that I've experienced, hits the news, and gets posted on the forum daily I'd say employment has become a war with no rules. I'd feel no compunction about lying in an interview, inflating my salary history, and using fake jobs and references.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
If no one asked, it isn't a lie. And if someone asked about pregnancy or religion, they were inviting a lawsuit.

Not volunteering information is NOT the same thing as lying. And I'm speaking from an employer's perspective.
True.

You shouldn't lie because very often the truth will come out and then you will be discredited. Then you wonder why no one ever believes a word you say or if something is missing, you're the first one suspected.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:47 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
In general, I believe honesty is best policy.

On major exception: You are searching for a new job.. lie even if employer suspects you and confronts you with "are you looking elsewhere?"

Also, don't volunteer information unless being pressed to or if it's to your advantage.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:04 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
A lot of applicants do not realize that employers can spot lies, asking questions different ways, etc. Asking questions that the applicant hates. And by running checks on the employee. It is a lot easier to find out the information, than just interviewing the potential employee.

People lie. Then they wonder why they don't get jobs they apply for.

If you lie, and your employer finds out later, that is grounds to fire you.

Think about it. I have hired hundreds of people back in my corporate life, and have seen people telling lies are very often found out easily, and are rejected as employees.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:06 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
Yes, you should lie about everything...background, past jobs, criminal history, name, education, etc. Secret to success!
Exactly, just like that sort of stuff is what CEO's and billionaires are made of. Owners, administrators, CEO's, and all the other fancily titled people generally are abusive, deceptive, careless, and coldblooded, so I see no reason to be truthful all the time.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
Not worth it. You always get caught.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
False application? Sop u r fired

Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
White lies are fine such as only talking about the positives of past jobs with hostile environments (unless managers are drinking buddies or in the same circle, you SHOULD be clear.) However if it is I've never stolen yet you have a conviction for stealing, then you are screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I see what you're doing but that has nothing to do with maternity leave in nine months (which my boss isn't fond of so soon, but I don't see a problem with) or taking religious holidays without exception, with one of them occurring every week for Orthodox Jews, Shabbat.
You can always try to work around it. Say you have Catholic workers, some may do early morning mass on Saturday, some do late morning mass on Sunday, some do evening mass on Sunday, and others do Saturday evening. It's not like their church has a one mass offering and that's all.

As for pregnancy, that is a different issue that you cannot pass up in the hiring process just for that no matter the reason (cost of benefits, absenteeism, ect.) and it would have to be a legitimate reason that dismisses her, say she answered a different legal question in a way that isn't a fit for our company while the other applicant didn't.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As for pregnancy, that is a different issue that you cannot pass up in the hiring process just for that no matter the reason (cost of benefits, absenteeism, ect.) and it would have to be a legitimate reason that dismisses her, say she answered a different legal question in a way that isn't a fit for our company while the other applicant didn't.
Correct! My boss wasn't fond of her omitting it during the interview. I was fine with it.

I have had people lie for me in the positions I've held and salary and I don't list all the jobs I've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search