Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Yeah but some of these companies like Boston Consulting want the best of the best. It also gives bright students who didn't attend a top 20 a shot at marquee companies.

I think folks forget that the SAT was specifically used by the Ivies to widen access to the general population. Standardize tests are a great way for bright kids from outside of the elite to move up the ladder.
I still don't see the purpose of an SAT score for someone who has attended a decent university. You can gather enough about their intelligence by reading their published work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're missing the point.

How is an SAT score relevant to job performance?
It's the closest an employer can get to an IQ test that's legal to use. So, any field where learning quickly and thinking on your feet are highly valued, especially for entry-level candidates.

It's an unstated rule to provide it for people within a few years of college (basically the same time period GPA should be included for) in banking and management consulting and very helpful in a lot of other fields touching finance and some areas of tech (as in, you can get a job without doing so, but are at a significant competitive disadvantage to the people listing it).

In a way asking for it directly is a lot more fair and meritocratic because that way applicants who have strong scores but don't know to list it aren't penalized for their lack of knowing it should be on their resume. I got lucky and had a (tech) recruiter at a career fair give me a lecture on the value of this pretty early on (didn't have it initially and was told in no uncertain terms to add it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I still don't see the purpose of an SAT score for someone who has attended a decent university. You can gather enough about their intelligence by reading their published work.
Not everyone publishes, and there is a lot of variance among people who attend decent universities (and on the flip side some very intelligent people who didn't attend a good university for whatever personal reason). Having a quantitative tool to cut through the noise is nice. Granted, all of these things (university, GPA, SAT, etc.) diminish in value fairly rapidly as the years go by.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Many people have never taken an SAT/ACT. Really only those straight from HS to college do, other like working adults and veterans normally do not.

An SAT is not even close to an IQ test, I have no idea where you people get this from. Heck, they are even eliminating the writing portion of it now.

It is rare for any undergrad, or even grad school student to publish.

I would like to see a specific list of companies that are asking for this, and what positions it is for.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Disparate impact is on its way out. Holder negotiated two housing cases that dealt with disparate impact specifically because he thought the court would toss it out.
Disparate impact is being used now more than ever; the new front on this is people with criminal convictions, specifically, blacks with a criminal history.

Disparate impact has been used to lower the bar for standards going on over three decades now.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Many people have never taken an SAT/ACT. Really only those straight from HS to college do, other like working adults and veterans normally do not.

An SAT is not even close to an IQ test, I have no idea where you people get this from. Heck, they are even eliminating the writing portion of it now.
It used to be, and to some extent the verbal section still is. The writing section was almost certainly conceived as a means to give a leg up in subjective grading to favored groups (non-Asian minorities, and well connected elite types who know just which shibboleths to utter), while depressing the scores of earnest flyover types. It had nothing to do with IQ, and good riddance to it now.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
One thing you can do if putting an actual number on your resume feels gauche is included "coded" bullet points that indicate a high SAT/GPA/etc. - "National Merit Scholar," "Dean's List," that sort of thing, under the most relevant section.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:55 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
One thing you can do if putting an actual number on your resume feels gauche is included "coded" bullet points that indicate a high SAT/GPA/etc. - "National Merit Scholar," "Dean's List," that sort of thing, under the most relevant section.
"Voted least likely to reoffend by the faculty of the Bundy School For Troubled Youth"?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
One of the areas that SAT tests is reading comprehension. By the questions you are asking me, I can immediately tell that reading comprehension is a weakness of yours. I've already discussed in this thread how silly it is to ask for SAT scores.

Perhaps a conversation with you would be enough to tell an interviewer about your reading comprehension weaknesses. But that might also be present in your SAT scores... which now makes it interesting.
Again, how is reading comprehension on some boring, non related article and then answering some questions in a short amount of time a good indicator of success?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
All this to pay probably under $50,000 a year. Then how long do they expect people to stay on the job?

Here is the only test they need.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=nBJV56WUDng

Old 03-17-2014, 01:30 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
One of the areas that SAT tests is reading comprehension. By the questions you are asking me, I can immediately tell that reading comprehension is a weakness of yours. I've already discussed in this thread how silly it is to ask for SAT scores.

Perhaps a conversation with you would be enough to tell an interviewer about your reading comprehension weaknesses. But that might also be present in your SAT scores... which now makes it interesting.

LOL ... my reading comprehension is just fine, thankyouverymuch.....

you say its silly then you say its no big deal.... I just don't understand the relevance to job performance, because there is none....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search