Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 AM

424 posts, read 594,058 times

Advertisements

OKay, it's not as bad as it may sound in the thread title. So I went to a kind've interview fair today that was for one corporation. When a recruiter contacted me for this, she told me that there would be a bunch of general managers facilitating the interviews from around my city area.

So, I get there, sit down and interview. I think it went very well, but who's to know what the person interviewing thought. Anyway, toward the middle of my interview, she tells me "so there's a lot of managers interviewing people today to see if they feel like people would fit well in their location." I was somewhat caught off guard, I thought I'd be interviewing with one manager, not a couple, but I didn't mind at all.

Anyway, after I get done with the lady (who was my first interview), I go out to sit in the waiting room... she comes up to me with and says that the recruiter will contact me if I'm selected for a second interview and thanked me for coming.

... being as I was supposed to get interviewed by other managers, I don't know what to think of this. I know their day wasn't ending because it was very early in the morning. Thoughts? I'm also waiting to hear back from the recruiter to see how I did, but I'm pretty anxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:22 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
From what you typed, she didn't say you would be interviewed by multiple managers, she said multiple managers were interviewing people.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
From what you typed, she didn't say you would be interviewed by multiple managers, she said multiple managers were interviewing people.
no, she said I would probably hear the same questions multiple times speaking to different managers since different managers were all interviewing us (applicants) to gauge who'd fit better in what location. I got what she meant when she said it -- especially because managers were interviewing in closed off offices where you couldn't hear them speaking to candidates.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:30 AM

105 posts, read 225,486 times
Did other people leave after one interview? Is it possible you were suppose to still stay afterward? "Thanks for coming" could be a generic responds she says to everybody.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Fish View Post
Did other people leave after one interview? Is it possible you were suppose to still stay afterward? "Thanks for coming" could be a generic responds she says to everybody.
Unsure. I wasn't there for THAT long. I don't know if the guy waiting with me interviewed before I came and after, but I think he did.

And no, my interview ended, and she said; "nice to meet you" and that ended our interview. I was sitting in the lobby when she told me the recruiter would be in contact with me. I also said goodbye to the woman who set up the entire thing... If I had to stay I think she would've told me.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
My guess is that you didn't make the cut, and something in your appearance, dress, manners, or resume was a red flag for the company.

How did your experience and education align with the company and potential positions? Were you over/under qualified? Were you dressed significantly different from the interveiwers and other candidates? Did you make significantly more at your last job than these positions would have paid? Do you have gauges and tattoos and this was a conservative or profesional sales (or did everyone but you have gauges and tattoos because this was cutting edge fashion/technolodgy)?

I would waste much time waiting for a call back before getting out to other interveiws.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
My guess is that you didn't make the cut, and something in your appearance, dress, manners, or resume was a red flag for the company.

How did your experience and education align with the company and potential positions? Were you over/under qualified? Were you dressed significantly different from the interveiwers and other candidates? Did you make significantly more at your last job than these positions would have paid? Do you have gauges and tattoos and this was a conservative or profesional sales (or did everyone but you have gauges and tattoos because this was cutting edge fashion/technolodgy)?

I would waste much time waiting for a call back before getting out to other interveiws.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't have any tattoos or piercings. I was dressed in a suit, in line with what everyone else was wearing. They don't know what my prior salary was and my experience is exactly in line with what this company does.

I don't have a fresh haircut, but I have the type of hair where you don't really notice that. I *think* the lady who interviewed me liked me, but some people have a really good poker face where their body language says they like you, but they don't. Oh, well... I guess I'll hear feed back from the recruiter soon enough.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
It was a mini job fair. The first interviewer didn't like you and didn't pass you on to the next level. I doubt it was your appearance. It was your answers to the questions.

It happens. Move on.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It was a mini job fair. The first interviewer didn't like you and didn't pass you on to the next level. I doubt it was your appearance. It was your answers to the questions.

It happens. Move on.
There was no "next level," especially not today. The thing I dislike the most about this specific part of the forum is that people very much like to do selective reading here. From what she explained, it was a "speed interview" type situation that if one manager didn't like you for their location, there's another that possibly would. They were interviewing people to decide for their own branches. Simple.

I'm totally fine if she didn't like me. I'm not freaking out or trying to overanalyze it. I was just thinking maybe someone else had experienced something of the same situation.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

It happens. Move on.
This was my first impression and I'm not trying to stereotype or jump the gun re the OP.

OP, it would be great if the recruiter contacts you later for another round of interviews but I wouldn't hold your breath until they do.

I'm guessing that the interviewer was HR?

Hard to get past them if they say no.

Might be a good idea to contact your original recruiter to see if you can get some feedback.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search