Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times

Advertisements

It's your money and your call. I wouldn't even consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 04:12 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager39 View Post
Fact is, I have enough cash to pay for either an interview trip or moving expenses. The difference is that moving expenses are incurred, exactly once, and at that, only if a job is offered and accepted.

Interview expenses could be incurred many times without an offer being obtained. That would get pretty expensive at $1K or more per trip if no job results from it/them.

Ten years ago, the firm that brought me to NJ paid for the entire interview trip and for half of my moving expenses. I was easily able to afford my 1/2 of the moving expenses since I knew I had a job upon arrival. Once a job is assured, I could pay the entire moving cost. It's matter of cost benefit analysis, not a matter of lacking the funds for airfare or moving costs.

OK.

But man, if they're not willing to budge an inch about at least helping out with the interview travel costs....I'd think twice.

Of course they'll interview you.....all they have to do is show up for work.

Been on way too many wild goose chases here in town.....

Old 05-21-2014, 04:20 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Well that's a different issue IMO. I'd say do it if you're desperate and can afford it, and actually believe they're not just jerking you around.

If one is desperate, one cannot afford it. If Voyager REALLY wanted to live & work in Atlanta, it MIGHT be worthwhile. From the OP...it's simply a working opportunity for now; willing to relocate for the right job.

It's NOT a different issue; it's the same issue.

And they are jerking Voyager around by not incurring any costs to get a potential employee from out of town down there to interview.

They don't give a flyin' fudge if it's a complete waste of time for the job seeker. After the interview, they might even laugh about it (poor soul, drove all the way down here....snicker...).....

Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager39 View Post
A company rep responded to me indicating that he was impressed with my resume, but that his firm did not pay for interview trips. I'm in NJ, and the firm is in Atlanta (just under 900 miles). On short notice, the flight would be at least $800 though I could shop around a little more. I am considering taking the time and driving there and back since I'm not otherwise making much headway with my job search. I have some concerns about this approach, since I have an older car.

I'm posting in case anyone has any insight no how to pull off this trip economically, as I'm not enthused about staking $1K or more on the combination of airfare and hotel costs required by a conventional trip.

Some advantages of the current circumstances that I'm able to exploit include (a) the firm appears to be flexible as to when I can interview, thus leaving the self-driving option open; (b) I am able to spare the time at the moment while still completing my job search requirements for NJ; and (c) I would try to stay in the cheapest motels along the way.

The bus and train schedules I've seen to date all seem to require overnight transit which doesn't work for me (though I will continue to look). Any helpful suggestions appreciated.
Phone call or Skype. It's the cheapest route. If they don't do it, forget them. There are many other companies that are using Skype and phone interviews.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Phone call or Skype. It's the cheapest route. If they don't do it, forget them. There are many other companies that are using Skype and phone interviews.
I agree and if you get the opportunity make sure to "work into" the conversation issues that may be a deal breaker, ie. lack of sufficient healthcare to qualify they are still a good fit for you.

After reading similar posts, and having a company fly me out to SV from Denver for 30 min interview that is known for being very frugal this doesn't sound like it has much opportunity unless you finish strong on the Skype interview.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
In my experience, companies that won't spring for the cost of the interview aren't serious about hiring you. I have found it to be a complete waste of time and money. I don't even bother if they aren't going to fly me out. Incidentally, I did tell one company that I was extremely interested and thought I'd be a great fit, then went on to ask if they could he. They ended up giving me a plane ticket.

I also worked for a company that would fly someone out to interview candidates. The interviewer would have the job applicant meet them in a hotel conference room at the airport. I don't know if that would be a possibility?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:44 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Skype it or forget it...
Yep. There's many technological ways companies can skin the employment cat short of candidate paid in-person interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's your money and your call. I wouldn't even consider it.
+1. The company has every incentive to make you waste your precious time and money for nothing. I wouldn't do it either. The company should pay for the interview, or no go, IMO.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
[quote=bande1102;34900527
I also worked for a company that would fly someone out to interview candidates. The interviewer would have the job applicant meet them in a hotel conference room at the airport. I don't know if that would be a possibility?[/QUOTE]

I had that too from a really nice company SM and C level both flew out to interview candidates in their local markets.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
Is this a preliminary interview? I would ask for Skype. If you're insistent on going, check the fares for Greyhound. At least you can sleep and don't do any driving. You can check into a cheap hotel to get showered and dressed, but all in all it seems expensive. If you drive, you will end up being exhausted. By the time you get home, you'll be wiped out! Do you think it's worth it?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:05 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Not paying for interview travel and refusing to skype tells me they are giving you a ___ job. 90% chance you will waste your time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search