Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:04 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times

Advertisements

I have an interview for a job on Monday (which I know I will NEVER get). On the check-list of items that I need to take to the interview it included a prior pay check stub. Why would the interviewer need a prior pay check stub??

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 04:15 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,257 times
So they can lowball you. why do you think? I would show up for the hell of it with the other items though. It's none of their business what your prior job was paying you. THAT was between you and your prior job, and it doesn't concern anybody else. You bring that paystub and you're done. It's over. But then, it's your life and do as you see best.

Me? I don't enter into negotiations or even interviews with companies that have intrusive requests like that. What are they going to demand of you if they hire you?

Are you interviewing for a prestigious 6 or 7 figure salary working for the gov't that requires high level clearance? Is it a prestigious position at a F500 company as a C-level exec? No? Then I would absolutely not provide things such as paystubs, W-2, tax returns, Facebook passwords, or any other private info or documents.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Ask this company for a list of current employee salaries.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:34 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Fake one at a higher pay.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM

25 posts, read 38,006 times
Questions that seem odd are usually a sign that something is not right.

Recruiters ask for too much information like references up front, supervisor information, exact information about where you were interviewing. This information goes straight into their sales contact database. They can call and chat up these contacts and already have a foot in the door and a pretext for calling. I tell recruiters I do not give out references until after a F2F interview and only if/when a company is ready to hire. I never give out information about where I was interviewing.

Pay stubs contain all sorts of vital information. I had recruiters tell me that they have a position with Wells Fargo bank and they really want to place me but they need my social security and date of birth.

Here is my answer: with all due respect that is banking data and I do not give that out over the telephone.

In your case you can say that you did not keep any of your pay stubs.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:07 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
A. Why waste your time on an interview with no chance of getting hired?

B. at pay stub request. You show me yours and I'll show you mine. Fair, eh?

C. You could show up with a detailed analysis of what like-employed folks are getting paid in your neck of the woods.

D. But then again...why waste your time?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Ha ha...right? Y the hell not? Why else other than to lowball someone would any employer or recruiter ask for a paystub? There are other non intrusive ways to check if someone is legally allowed to work in the U.S. So that's not an excuse.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Tell them you used to work for Jordan Belfort.. (HAAAAAA...!?!?) Would they even know who that is?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Haaaa....!?!? Fake one a higher pay, with the name of Jordan Belfort's company Stratton___whatever, etc. etc. - I would love to see the look on that gamozze's face

Old 06-21-2014, 06:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
If they insist, then you might as well.

Employers that ask for this NEED to be LIED to, because they're already shady for wanting this info period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search