Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:17 PM

624 posts, read 763,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
They're only right because THEY KEEP SAYING THAT. You control your life by the words you speak and the thoughts you think. So if someone says "I can't find a job, life is so hard for me" then that is what life will deliver. Change your words, change your life. Until this generation starts having some faith, they won't accomplish anything.
Do you follow Joel Osteen?

Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 12:22 PM

624 posts, read 763,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
before welfare we didn't have an immigration problem...
why would anyone work their finger to the bone, when they can get as much or money for watching TV
With all due respect, you need to pick up an American history book. If I may make a recommendation, this will get you started.

When Chinese Immigrants Came From Mexico - Bloomberg View

Old 06-28-2014, 12:43 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't believe illegal immigrants are filling the jobs that require a college degree, a couple internships, and knowledge of various software applications.

If someone is a legal immigrant with the right to work in the US, then it's a fair competition. American workers have to be competitive.

Although, I believe this thread is nothing more than a veiled racist attempt to stir ill feelings toward immigrants.
Well, guess what? Believe it or not, not everyone has a college degree, wants an internship or has knowledge of various software applications. That's not the route some people go, and they decide to use their talents in construction. Used to be you could make a very nice living in the construction field. That's no longer the case (with exceptions), especially in areas where there is a large portion of illegal immigrants. They have driven the wages down to such an extent it is difficult to compete with them and still make a living wage.

There are plenty of qualified college educated American citizens that should be given a preference over immigrants when it comes to getting a job. The deciding factor seems to be that the immigrant can be hired more cheaply than an American.

And please stop with the racism accusations just because some people have a problem with non Americans taking American jobs. When you have to rely on a cartoon to make your point, it is pathetic. This country needs to start putting the welfare of its own citizens first. When everyone who wants to work has a job, then fill any available openings with legal immigrants. ILLEGAL immigrants have no business here, working or not.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:59 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
lol... young American college grads were not lining up for sh*tty low-paying jobs prior to the recession, save for the ones who refused to look at white-collar jobs outside of their own field and leave their little blue-collar towns. A large problem that never gets enough attention in the media is that mobility for young Americans, and employers' willingness to subsidize travel expenses for interviews and relocation, took a nosedive during the recession and haven't recovered.

Generation Stuck: Why Don't Young People Move, Anymore?

Old 06-28-2014, 02:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Well, guess what? Believe it or not, not everyone has a college degree, wants an internship or has knowledge of various software applications. That's not the route some people go, and they decide to use their talents in construction.

Yes, but they don't count, you see. If they really wanted a job they would go back and pursue an education even if they were down to their last dime, like I did, and then work hard, like I did, persevere, like I did, network, like I did, persevere some more, stop over thinking, network and then get a job, like I did. It's simple. Work hard for the big bucks! And those who don't want to do that don't deserve jobs anyway.

But enough about me - what do you think about me?

Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

I wouldn't assume that all illegals are spanish speaking. There's other illegal aliens. Will work crazy schedules? Well frankly not all jobs are 8 to 5 with weekends off. I know firefighters that might work 10 days in a row and then four off. I know police officers on call most of their life. Retail is all over the place. So is the issue the employers or the illegals?
The posters here have referenced construction, however. In all the articles I've read where the trucks pull up at 6am in the morning, looking for illegal aliens willing to work, none of them referenced German speaking people. Or any other language beyond Spanish speaking, for that matter.

Apart from your post, however, I don't think most people are saying immigration is the problem - people entering the country illegally is the problem. Comparing it to our relatives who came here a couple of generations ago doesn't really make sense, as most came over legally, learned the language, acclimated, and contributed to their country and communities.

This is one more indication our government is full of garbage. They will pull the prosthetic off of an elderly person at the airport but have done nothing to secure our borders. Smoke and mirrors.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's from CIS, an anti immigration think tank... not exactly a great resource. It's all they publish.
Yeah, not to mention the economy is pretty good. Heck in my town things are booming! Guess there are some pockets that aren't doing all that great out there, but most places are doing great.

Anyway, immigrants also create more jobs. The population increase alone is a help in the economy. They need to eat and live to.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:32 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Borders do have some safeguards. I've been though customs a number of times.

"In all the articles I've read where the trucks pull up at 6am in the morning, looking for illegal aliens willing to work, none of them referenced German speaking people. Or any other language beyond Spanish speaking, for that matter."

But that's the thing here. Illegal aliens doing farmwork is an old concept. After farm work was automated (to a point) they went further north and ended up doing other tasks that you might not consider otherwise like maids and nannies and taking care of horses etc. Working outside is only attractive to a certain point. If you want to see something a bit similar there is migration within China from the west to the east. it is like Okies from Grapes of Wrath. But eventually people get tired of doing such work and want something more sophisticated which is why people want to work in some of the factories. A roof over a head, night lighting, heat, a/c etc.

"Well, guess what? Believe it or not, not everyone has a college degree, wants an internship or has knowledge of various software applications. That's not the route some people go, and they decide to use their talents in construction. Used to be you could make a very nice living in the construction field. That's no longer the case (with exceptions), especially in areas where there is a large portion of illegal immigrants. They have driven the wages down to such an extent it is difficult to compete with them and still make a living wage."

But EVERYTHING these days is computer based. I can't imagine any organization that doesn't use computer down the line. Heck I was a junior in high school in '96 and saw one of my accounting teachers cry when they said it was all going to spreadsheets on a computer. That was 18 years ago! Construction can be nice I'm not putting it down but there's a huge difference between someone that designs buildings and rooms and someone slabbing it together. CAD programs are used to design houses now and you have to know the code and zoning etc. Back in the day a contractor could get away with things but now with AngiesList and social media good luck with that. Furthermore how long can someone physically do construction? I had a boss that left for it when he turned 40. Realistically speaking I'm not sure if that is a bright move. If you get hurt in construction you can be hurt for life. If you work in an office I don't think a papercut is going to kill you.

I've heard arguments that there were large amounts of subcontractors that went under in the housing bubble. Now that some things are coming back there's backlogs because general contractors end up having to do more of the work themselves.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Well this quickly turned into an illegal immigration discussion like all other "immigrant" discussions on CD.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well this quickly turned into an illegal immigration discussion like all other "immigrant" discussions on CD.

What are you saying here - that people have a problem with all immigrants and that's the topic posters should stick to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search