Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 AM

322 posts, read 385,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
It's not just companies that don't want to train. Individuals don't want to train either. We often see candidates that don't care to invest in themselves. My employer is not going in invest in someone who does not care to invest in themselves.
I wish there were more employers like yours in my area then. I have been heavily investing in myself outside of work via courses at the local state university and through independent study and projects. None of this training has mattered to any employers that I have interviewed with since I began training myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 AM

7,937 posts, read 7,848,864 times
The other odd thing about some people being called cheaper to hire well why isn't it all just them then?

It has long been argued that men make more money then women. If that's the case why would any man have a job? If minorities make less then others why would an employer not hire them then?

If an employer can get away with hiring anyone for less don't you think that would have been done by now? Why aren't plumbers making $10/hr? why aren't doctors making 30k a year? Why aren't airline pilots making 40k? Because the amount of training validates hiring that person at that rate. You can't just show up and be a plumber there's various codes to learn etc.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:10 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,574,972 times
People would invest in themselves if they thought there was an increase in pay or quality of life that goes with it. Most people believe that. But why "invest" in yourself for the whim of one employer? If that is industry standard, and the industry is growing, people will do it. If the industry is dying or moving toward obsolence, what's the point?

Again, when we have more people hungry and looking than jobs available, the employers can call the shots. They had a harder time for a period between 2000 and 2008. Even in 2001 with that recession, employers never really got the upper hand. They should hope they keep it this time bc wage inflation is COMING.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
It's not just companies that don't want to train. Individuals don't want to train either. We often see candidates that don't care to invest in themselves. My employer is not going in invest in someone who does not care to invest in themselves.
Throwing out the free training, what if an employee cannot invest in themselves. Many unemployed people cannot afford paid training and re-training programs.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:46 PM

35,163 posts, read 31,461,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Throwing out the free training, what if an employee cannot invest in themselves. Many unemployed people cannot afford paid training and re-training programs.
Lots of certifications are also a limited lifespan. An employee could be spending hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars every year just on the certification treadmill. IT infrastructure is bad about this.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:40 PM

22,519 posts, read 12,072,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You are quite correct!

My husband works in IT and was unemployed for 10 months. This happened 7 years ago. Eventually, we dipped into our savings so that he could take a course to get a certificate, even though he was familiar with the work but employers wanted to see that piece of paper. We were fortunate enough to have the money saved so that he could do this but we both are well aware that many unemployed people don't have extra money to spare.

Also, when he was looking for work, he got called by a lot Indian recruiters. They would string him along, making him think that they were interested. One even gave him a flimsy excuse for not hiring him. That's when we learned just how much Indians blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:51 PM

7,937 posts, read 7,848,864 times
Well the IT sector just moves way too fast. I would argue that the speed is at double of what most industries are like. If someone has five years in it's probably like ten.

I think that MOOC's can have a value although it is not on a 1:1 ratio with higher ed. If you combine three or four on a given subject then I think there is more validity. I started taking some this year and there are those on a undergraduate and graduate level. On the surface they might not appear to be much but frankly since only about 8% graduate on average then the value goes up, not down. So at 50,000 it might be just 4,000 graduating but that's also for the whole planet. Factoring out students from other countries and it stand out even more. Then you have those that might use their webcams to get it verified more and add in a distinction track and well it keeps adding up.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM

9,827 posts, read 11,593,488 times
I laugh at some of the hypocrites in this forum and in this Thread. Some Posters whine that our AMERICAN Born kids should buckle up and compete the immigrants on their level(low pay, 12 hour work days,part time ect...)
These same people will be in the POC part of City-Data tomorrow complaining about, immigrants receiving U.S. Public assistants
It's sad that most of these major corporation are enjoying record profits, while only hiring Part time low wage immigrants Over the American workers.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I laugh at some of the hypocrites in this forum and in this Thread. Some Posters whine that our AMERICAN Born kids should buckle up and compete the immigrants on their level(low pay, 12 hour work days,part time ect...)
These same people will be in the POC part of City-Data tomorrow complaining about, immigrants receiving U.S. Public assistants
It's sad that most of these major corporation are enjoying record profits, while only hiring Part time low wage immigrants Over the American workers.
It's like the conservatives that complain about tax deductions but still use it on their own taxes. You can't go both ways on immigration and the tax code. What I find funny is those that say immigrants should drive down wages but then the minute an American gets assistance because they cannot compete, they complain. HELLO, you want immigrants in and this is a negative externality of that action.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You are quite correct!

My husband works in IT and was unemployed for 10 months. This happened 7 years ago. Eventually, we dipped into our savings so that he could take a course to get a certificate, even though he was familiar with the work but employers wanted to see that piece of paper. We were fortunate enough to have the money saved so that he could do this but we both are well aware that many unemployed people don't have extra money to spare.

Also, when he was looking for work, he got called by a lot Indian recruiters. They would string him along, making him think that they were interested. One even gave him a flimsy excuse for not hiring him. That's when we learned just how much Indians blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.
Yup. THIS.

I refuse to deal with Indian recruiters. I listen to their questions, tell them I'm not interested, and hang up. I delete their e-mails after reading them. I only read them to get fodder for Facebook so my friends can laugh too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search