Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 AM

618 posts, read 939,013 times

Advertisements

Last week, I received a phone interview request with HR. I had to schedule the interview online. I selected one of the times given for the afternoon and was given the name of the Person. She called me 20 minutes late saying she was tied up in a meeting and asked if we could reschedule. I agreed. She called me the next day at the agreed time. Interview went well and she recommended me to the hiring manager.

I received a call from HR asking when will be a good time to schedule a phone interview with him. We agreed on the time and HR said they will send a confirmation. No confirmation came and I had to call them and ask if The interview had been confirmed. She sent the confirmation 2 minutes later. I am thinking she forgot to email me.

Anyway, the hiring manger was supposed to call me this morning and instead HR called 2 minutes before the interview wanting to know if we could reschedule for tomorrow because he was pulled into a meeting. I agreed but what is going in here?

Seems like this is a red flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
None of these are good signs. My current boss will wait 15-20 into a scheduled phone meetin to e-mail me that she is tied up in another call and we will reschedule for later in the day, which as you may have guessed never happens. To me it sounds like for them hiring the right person is low priority and if you are ever hired you will be low priority as well.

I ask why couldn't the hiring manager skip their othher meeting saying they are needed in the meeting they had with you?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:11 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
None of these are good signs. My current boss will wait 15-20 into a scheduled phone meetin to e-mail me that she is tied up in another call and we will reschedule for later in the day, which as you may have guessed never happens. To me it sounds like for them hiring the right person is low priority and if you are ever hired you will be low priority as well.

I ask why couldn't the hiring manager skip their othher meeting saying they are needed in the meeting they had with you?
If the meeting is with anyone higher in the organization, this is unlikely to happen. When I ask for impromptu meetings with anyone on my team, I always make sure to ask if they have anything else going on, and they will tell me if they have a phone interview with a candidate. Not everyone thinks to ask, however, they just pull in people when it's convenient for them and nobody objects.

To the op - you cannot really analyze anything at this point, so just go with the flow. A "later" is better than "never".

Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post

Exactly, it says a lot that not just once but twice now this has happened, two different individuals have done this to you.

Yes, issues do come up, but how about time management? I agree, the HM couldn't say "I have a phone interview scheduled, I will come into the meeting as soon as I am done".

I would be willing to be this is more due to a lack of planning on their part, than in both cases something out of the blue came up, this is their motus operandi.

And if this is how you're treated during the interview process what will be like to work there?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:25 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If the meeting is with anyone higher in the organization, this is unlikely to happen. When I ask for impromptu meetings with anyone on my team, I always make sure to ask if they have anything else going on, and they will tell me if they have a phone interview with a candidate. Not everyone thinks to ask, however, they just pull in people when it's convenient for them and nobody objects.

To the op - you cannot really analyze anything at this point, so just go with the flow. A "later" is better than "never".
Well it called having a tongue. Unless it is some emergency meeting, there is nothing wrong with speaking up and saying I have something scheduled if the higher up doesn't think to ask.

I never had any problem saying I had something scheduled if an impromptu meeting was called, it's called communicating, people aren't mind readers.

Now if the higher up tells you, cancel what you have planned you need to be in this meeting than you do that, if coming in to the meeting late after you done with what you have scheduled is not an option.

While I agree the OP shouldn't overanalyze and there is still a good chance this interview will occur with hopefully an onsite interview, it is somewhat off putting to have this happen now twice with two different individuals.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:38 AM

If I did the same thing to them, I doubt I would be a candidate any longer.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Yeah, so what? Are you just moaning and groaning about it? Are you upset that is seems like a double standard?

You aren't in a position of power here, you came to them, you're the one that wants the gig. If this post is about you needing to get out a little frustration and anxiety then OK, I get that.

Otherwise, don't be irrational.

Best of luck.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Then cancel. It seems you feel slighted in some way and you think this is a big red flag, so just cancel and tell them you don't want the job now.

See how easy that is?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:59 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
What field are you trying to get into?

I'm in IT. It is definitely within the realm of possibility that a critical issue might have come up that has sent everyone's schedules all to heck.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
What field are you trying to get into?

I'm in IT. It is definitely within the realm of possibility that a critical issue might have come up that has sent everyone's schedules all to heck.
Accounting. I'm not going to cancel, especially if it's only on the phone and I don't have to go anywhere. It it is a double standard however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search