Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
She wasn't even late, I checked the clock and she arrived just in time. It's the fact that she refused to acknowledge my existence that ticked me off. After having such a bad run in with interviewers during my job search, I said enough's enough and walked out with my dignity intact.

Am I the only one who didn't realize this bolded point above was the "issue"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 09:09 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Am I the only one who didn't realize this bolded point above was the "issue"?
IMO, none of this is an issue if you really need a job.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:00 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
Just remember, when your interviewing not only are they getting a feel for you, your getting a feel for them and what kind of place it is to work for. Just like you should be at your best, they should be at theirs as well.

Personally, good for you for walking out. As a leader, if something unexpected had to be dealt with, I would have appologized and explained the urgency to address and would hope you would have the time to meet. Managers do not realize how important it is to have respect for their employees that you get so much more out of people by having common curtesy respect.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 AM

352 posts, read 324,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I scheduled an interview with a hiring manager through the phone a week ago. I was scheduled to meet her today at 11:00am. I walked into the lobby and noticed another fellow waiting. Soon after, the hiring manager walked in and greeted only the other guy: "Hi, I'm Kelsey nice to meet you! Please follow me to the back." I sat there dumbfounded, did this person have two people come in at the same time? I walked up to the receptionist and asked what that was about and she replied: uhh, she's in another meeting, it might take 10 minutes or so..would you like water"?

20 minutes past and the receptionist walked to the conference room: "Kelsey, Boosane is here to see you." Kelsey decided to have me go to someone's office in the far edge of the building and told me to sit tight. It was now 11:40 and still nada. I walked up to the receptionist and told her I had to go.

That was a pretty awkward experience. I'm guessing she hired the guy. I didn't receive an apology email nor some sort of call to reschedule.

Thanks.
That's really unprofessional and clearly not a company worth working for.

I've walked out of an interview a few times, once was a cattle call that they tried to pass off as an interview...I came in and saw three other people who also had a 9am interview and just turned around and left. Another time it was for a mortgage company back in 2005 and the woman was just this insufferable "money is all that matters" type and about 10 minutes into the interview I just cut her off and said "you know, I just don't think this is right for me and I simply don't see how this revenue model can sustain itself so I'm not going to waste any more of your time" and sure enough that place was one of the first to go belly up in 2007 when the crisis' early stages hit.

I'm always shocked at the lack of professionalism in the world today. I may only be 33, but I grew up with an old-world kind of mentality that we are supposed to work hard, work ethically and keep to our word...that's clearly not the way this country thinks or acts.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:24 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sometimes people are running late for some reason. She was running late. She didn't schedule two people at the same time, she was just running that late.

....snipped....
For all you know, she may have apologized profusely and explained once she got to you. But you showed her alright. You showed her you are inflexible and have a short fuse.

And you expected her to call you to explain and apologize after you showed her you had a short fuse?

Bottom line, as I posted yesterday, was you didn't really want the job.
I say bs. If she was running late, when she walked out, she would have addressed both of them and said, " I am running late because of so and so and can you wait or would you like to reschedule....?" You don't ignore the applicant sitting there at their appointed time and walk away. I was an HR manager and this was very poor judgment on her part. She should have given him the option and the courtesy to decline the appt or wait it out. At least he would not have been sitting there, stewing over it but, obviously, she didn't care. Such arrogance on her part.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry, that's absolutely not the point here.

I see several of this type of sentiment on this thread, to somehow the blame the OP. Oh, you must have not wanted the job bad enough. You didn't wait long enough. So on and so on.

There's clearly a world of difference between waiting for a job interview, and then being treated with absolute disrespect.

Amen. This was an employer HAZING candidates. A true sadist in action.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:11 PM

158 posts, read 305,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Amen. This was an employer HAZING candidates. A true sadist in action.
True and I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately there are people out there who think you should just roll over and allow yourself to be disrespected, walked on and demoralized if that's what it takes to get a job.
Interviews are two way streets, or should be, it's not just for the HR to get to know you but it's your opportunity to observe the company and how the company is represented by the HR as well.
A potential candidate is supposed to present their best selves to the HR/interviewer, should the HR/interviewer not be expected to represent themselves and likewise their company in the same light? If you're not getting respect before you are hired there's very little chance it will happen if/after you are hired.
There is a lot to be said for first impressions both from a hiring/HR point of view and an interviewee's point of view. One should not expect the other to be at their best and not feel the need to extend the same.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

This is what you are saying with certainty:

The hiring manager did not address one of the two applicants and therefore, treated him with complete disrespect. She was hazing candidates and is sadistic. His experience would portend the terrible way he would be treated by her and by the company.

You can tell all of that based on one post.

Yet you can seldom conclude anything when you or someone else:

• goes on a lot of face-to-face interviews but seldom gets further in the process
  • sends a hundred resumes but is never called for a phone interview
  • gets some phone interviews but is not called in for face-to-face interviews

I guess the crystal ball only works for companies and hiring managers and not for people trying to land a job.

I agree she should have greeted him, apologized for running late, and stated she would get to him as soon as possible. It was poor form that she didn't do any of those things. Maybe she's unprofessional when it comes to that kind of thing. Or a social idiot. Both seem possible. But to make it sound like this was the most egregious thing in the world, and to jump to a huge conclusion that she is hazing and is sadistic, is beyond ridiculous.

We have become a society jumping on every opportunity to claim we were offended or disrespected. I heard on the radio the other day that in one guys neighborhood if you step on someone's shoes, even as an accident, that it's a sign of disrespect you'll be sorry for.

I'm surprised nobody has claimed she was trying to bully him. (note: I don't take bullying lightly so I'm not mocking that topic in any way)

When many of you think you are being scrutinized / judged by the hiring manager, you have a fit. How dare they jump to conclusions? They have no right - they don't know you!! Yet you're creating a fairy tale narrative around one moment with the hiring manager and judging not only her, but the entire company.

Do yourselves a favor. If you don't want someone judging you on one moment of stupid, be careful about doing that to others. She was ignorant. It stinks and it stung, but that's not the end of the world.

Last edited by MPowering1; 09-11-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 01:28 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,960 times
I agree that she was acting in an unprofessional manner. You are better off working somewhere that treats employees with respect. It's a shame to see that some posters criticize you for refusing to be treated with such a lack of basic courtesy. Some people seem to think that those in positions of authority have a right to treat others as badly as they want, smh.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I agree that she was acting in an unprofessional manner. You are better off working somewhere that treats employees with respect. It's a shame to see that some posters criticize you for refusing to be treated with such a lack of basic courtesy. Some people seem to think that those in positions of authority have a right to treat others as badly as they want, smh.

Another huge jump to a false conclusion, but if it fits the narrative, it's going to be stated and repeated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search