Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 04:08 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
He knows who I am. He's not going to say "I'm sorry, who are you and what type of work do you do?"
Keep in mind I've worked with his company in a consulting capacity in the past, several months ago.
Then why didn't you pick up the phone at the first sign your cousin said there was a job and talk to this guy directly? Or have you ever met him when you worked with this company before?

I think what all of us on here are puzzled with, is why are you allowing your cousin to be the go-between you and this company? All of us have had someone tell us about a job, and then we contact and speak for ourselves and handle it. We don't have a third-party do this. I don't see any benefit here to you working it this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Go and put him on the spot in front of his family, you definitely will be guaranteeing you will never work for him again. That would be a stupid a move as you could possibly make, and that just makes you angry. Everyone is telling you this and I repeat you are getting angry instead of listening to them.

There is a time and place for everything, and a small family gathering is no place to do something like this. You would be there to embarrass him, to try to get a job to shut you guys up. Wrong move. You have no way of knowing why he is not holding a job open for you, and it could get very embarrassing for you when he tells you why in front of all his family. And believe me if you embarrass him in front of his family, he will double embarrass you to get even, and you will never have a chance for any job in the future.

Most job offers, are subject to the HM checking out your references before it becomes final. You worked for him before. Chances are that he checked with your former supervisors, and coworkers to find a place for you to fit in, and they put the kiss of death on your so called potential job offer.

Get over it. He is not going to hire you at this time. Just walk away for the time being, and keep in as good relations as you can, and maybe someday in the future you will be given a job.
This is going to end badly for the OP. Making a confrontation about the job at a family gathering is the worst possible situation to do this in and will certainly burn your bridges. If the OP can't see that by now, then perhaps the situation that oldtrader described is exactly what happened. They asked around about the OP and got back a luke warm response and decided to pass on him. Not a big deal, not everyone is a match for the company and the job. It's not a crime, but that's just the way it is sometimes. Maybe you aren't right for a job today, but you might be in a year, but if the OP shows up and makes a confrontation about this thing he will be totally ruining himself with anyone associated with the company, because people are going to tell this story and mention his name with the guy who tried to confront their boss.

This isn't the end of the world for the OP, just pursue another job. He's not going to be satisfied with the outcome and it will only hurt his chances of being employed by this company in the future and others will hear the story about this guy who confronted the boss at his own party and made a fool out of himself.

In summary: Unless you have a written and signed employment agreement from the company which includes salary, title, who you report to, a start date and location...you have no job offer. I know this isn't what the OP wants to hear but it's the truth. In no place in the US workforce in 2014 is anyone going to claim they have a bona fide job offer without what I described here and has been mentioned by many here.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Maybe the employer found out it was not a good idea to hire his relative, and the OP gets kicked out of a job due to the other person that was getting the text messages angered the employer, or employees warned him not to hire that person. The OP may have gotten caught in the fall out.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I saw what his cousin said to my friend on his phone. He offered me the job. He is bringing me because we are certainly going to confront him and ask him why he offered us these jobs then reneged.

Why do you think it is appropriate to bring up a business issue at a family gathering?
Why do you think it is appropriate for your friend to take you to a family gathering that is not your family?

Do you really want a job from a man that you feel you have "to put on the spot" in regards to a job offer?

You need to step out of the family gathering, do your own job searching, handle your own details and stay out of anything that goes on between your friend and his cousin.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:52 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
I'd push the idea because neither of you have anything to lose.

But, to get back onto the thread, I have to wonder if this job offer family guy is the real decision maker in the business,
or if he has a "not so silent" partner that second-guesses all his decisions, i.e. a money man, so-called silent investor,
or business partner that has his own ideas as to the direction the company will take.

I've seen this a lot over the years. The guy in the Mercedes is actually a hood ornament for the real owner.
I'm sure he sent the text. He just may be wanting to walk out of the second guess on the part of the real owner.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:52 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Then why didn't you pick up the phone at the first sign your cousin said there was a job and talk to this guy directly? Or have you ever met him when you worked with this company before?

I think what all of us on here are puzzled with, is why are you allowing your cousin to be the go-between you and this company? All of us have had someone tell us about a job, and then we contact and speak for ourselves and handle it. We don't have a third-party do this. I don't see any benefit here to you working it this way.
I've already explained this. I'll explain again. When my friend and I first talked about this, he mentioned he was going to talk to his cousin. I really didn't expect I would get an offer based on the conversation he was to have with his friend. I hoped for an interview, or even for him to tell my friend "have your friend call me." Instead I got a job offer. I was to contact him last week to introduce myself, sign paperwork, etc etc.....
(that's when this dude disappeared)
I didn't pick up the phone to call him once he disappeared, because....well, it was obvious something was going on behind the scenes and I wasn't sure it was the right move to call him while he was avoiding his cousin's calls.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Maybe the employer found out it was not a good idea to hire his relative, and the OP gets kicked out of a job due to the other person that was getting the text messages angered the employer, or employees warned him not to hire that person. The OP may have gotten caught in the fall out.
I guess it's possible, but I think unlikely. As I mentioned, my friend and his cousin are like brothers.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

In summary: Unless you have a written and signed employment agreement from the company which includes salary, title, who you report to, a start date and location...you have no job offer. I know this isn't what the OP wants to hear but it's the truth. In no place in the US workforce in 2014 is anyone going to claim they have a bona fide job offer without what I described here and has been mentioned by many here.
I do have a job offer, just not a job offer in the way that you describe. I also disagree emphatically with your last sentence. I used to be part owner of a company a few years ago. If I offered a job verbally, I considered that a bona fide job offer. If I ever own a company again, I would still feel the same way.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Why are asking a question that you already know the answer to?
So I'm a bit confused, the title of your thread states that a job offer was reneged but later in the thread you state you have a job offer but not in the way that others think it is an offer.
In my experience there is one way to have a job offer and that is for the one hiring you to offer you the job.
Anyone else extending an offer is not a legitimate offer of employment.
So which is it?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So I'm a bit confused, the title of your thread states that a job offer was reneged but later in the thread you state you have a job offer but not in the way that others think it is an offer.
In my experience there is one way to have a job offer and that is for the one hiring you to offer you the job.
Anyone else extending an offer is not a legitimate offer of employment.
So which is it?
I think the owner of the company qualifies as having the authority to make an offer.
The owner made the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search