Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The internet didn't really go "mainstream" at the speed it is today until the early 2000s.

Before, using the internet during the dial-up era was a hindrance.
Just seeing the term 'dial-up' makes me hear that screechy, grating sound.

Last time I applied in the old-school way for a job was in 2000. I responded to a classified ad, mailed my resume, interviewed, got hired, gave notice and started the job all in the same month.

On my very first job--much earlier--I walked in, filled out an application, took a test, interviewed, accepted the offer, and started the following week.

Once when living in a remote location I looked up companies in the phone book and wrote letters, got a call, interviewed (in person) and was hired.

I kind of miss how simple the process was and how fast it moved--sure the internet is convenient, but now it's you and how many hundreds (thousands?) applying. It's easy to feel like your information is disappearing into a black hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
What are you? An alien?
Networking was the same then as it is now but, jobs were advertised in printed publications instead of online and there were job fairs, just like today.
This. Networking has not changed. Traditional job searching methods work better than the internet.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Every so-called "real" job I had, starting in 1969, I got by showing up at the business and getting a paper application.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:09 AM

183 posts, read 292,449 times
So you are from another universe dude ? The medium just changed now otherwise process is still same. People get notified by employer websites and local international job portals plus newspaper ads and advertisement still there. So what was exactly the thing you wanted to ask ? seriously

Old 11-13-2014, 03:09 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
What was the hiring process like before the internet? Or did humans for the most part work at the local machine making place?

How did humans who graduate from universities across the country apply to highly sought after salaried positions in big cities, particularly when they have never been there? How did humans find jobs that were just as well compensated and just as good for personal development and lifestyle but were in a different location?
For low-end jobs before the internet and even before personal computers, the process was simple - you walked into the place and filled out an application. Often a resume was required too, but that was more for show, the information they wanted was on the application.

For the high end professional jobs you are asking about, first you sent a letter of inquiry (or phoned them) at an address that might have been given you at college before you graduated, or it might be found in the back of some technical/professional journal that could often be found at the college library. You would also usually attend a job fair, which got you more information. Your professors might guide you.

Then if they were amenable, they would send you an application. You would return it along with a cover letter (briefly stating what you were looking for and why you were cool), and a resume. Resumes were not usually very showy with graphics like they might be today, and were generally succinct, I think it was rare to send one with more than two pages.

If they liked what they saw, they would arrange an interview in person with you. You were almost always interviewed by a female personnel worker. Some personnel workers were all about business, but other interviews were almost like a date, dressing a notch above what you would wear on the job, talking about yourself with details, even trivia, with nice smiles on both sides if she liked you.

Afterward, they might send you a letter with a job offer. If your skill was greatly in demand, you could haggle a bit with them for more money.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,781 times
HR are a bunch of lazy.. overpaid smucks.. no longer do they complete their jobs in detail.. all is now reliant on computers to sift through the 100s / 1000s of Job Specific applicants.. whereas years before.. they would people to work fitting their abilities... KEY IS "ABILITIES".. not job specific as a requirement.. which is the black/white method.. no grey.. to PUT PEOPLE back to WORK.. !!! HR rather have it as easy as possible.. have each person submit multiple times for each and every job that is posted.. right? Afterall.. a computer can do the Applicant reviews within seconds.. even though the shear number of Job Applications received went through the roof.. and the numbers justify both their / HR Job permancy, retirements for themselves.. and, the 1,000 applicants processed instead of the 200 actual people applying for the 5 or 7 jobs posted?? RIGHT?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:25 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Finding a job was in the classifieds usually in the Sunday paper, of the largest city around.This job I have now I still had to fill out a pen/paper application, which was like 10 pages long. I think that was kinda funny.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:31 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
I used a headhunter when I graduated college in 1991. Found a job very quickly (a couple weeks). I don't remember how I got my second job - can't remember if it was with a headhunter or an ad in the paper.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Ah.... the old fax machines, with the rolled paper..... hated those things!!!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:28 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Follow up question:

How did Homo sapiens breath before the Internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search