Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
We walked in the door and asked to speak to someone in Human Resources.

I wish that was still an option.
We walked in and asked to speak to someone in PERSONNEL!

I was around before they came up with "Human Resources".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,062,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We walked in and asked to speak to someone in PERSONNEL!

I was around before they came up with "Human Resources".
Oh, how I miss the days of being able to walk around with copies of my resume and pop into any place, talk to the folks who do the hiring, and get my foot in the door. The same days of being able to walk through a mall, hit every store with a simple "Are you guys hiring?" "Yeah, here's the app, you can fill it out while you're here if you want", and come away having applied for like 30 jobs in one fell swoop, getting call backs for all of them.

Now it's, "A job? Sure, apply online. Oh, you want to talk to the people who'd actually be hiring you? No, no, no, no, silly one. You have to go online and if your application makes it through the practically arbitrary filters applied just to reduce the number of incoming apps and the scoring of the assessments that almost always have more than one answer appropriate for an ideal candidate for the position, someone might look at it and if they like what they see, you'll be contacted." Hooray for coming away with nothing but time to spend on the internet that leads to not being contacted ever!

But seriously, it was lovely, wasn't it?

Back then, I'd get hired on the spot most of the time just from interacting with the people doing the hiring while I was there filling out the app. These days, you can't even get a job washing dishes at a place like Chili's without going through all of that online skinamerink and that's if positions are even open as opposed to being filled with the friends/relatives of people already working there.

Day laborers and illegals are more likely to get hired off the street than anyone I know now lol Then people wonder why so many start doing things under the table, trying to skirt around the system.

Anyway, I recently discovered that either Home Goods or Marshalls still takes paper applications. I told my friend about it because she's looking for a job. She's had no luck at all with the online process. It's night and day compared to when she could do things in person. We'll see what happens! I don't know if it's all of them though or just the ones near me, so she said she'll check.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Oh, how I miss the days of being able to walk around with copies of my resume and pop into any place, talk to the folks who do the hiring, and get my foot in the door. The same days of being able to walk through a mall, hit every store with a simple "Are you guys hiring?" "Yeah, here's the app, you can fill it out while you're here if you want", and come away having applied for like 30 jobs in one fell swoop, getting call backs for all of them.

Now it's, "A job? Sure, apply online. Oh, you want to talk to the people who'd actually be hiring you? No, no, no, no, silly one. You have to go online and if your application makes it through the practically arbitrary filters applied just to reduce the number of incoming apps and the scoring of the assessments that almost always have more than one answer appropriate for an ideal candidate for the position, someone might look at it and if they like what they see, you'll be contacted." Hooray for coming away with nothing but time to spend on the internet that leads to not being contacted ever!

But seriously, it was lovely, wasn't it?

Back then, I'd get hired on the spot most of the time just from interacting with the people doing the hiring while I was there filling out the app. These days, you can't even get a job washing dishes at a place like Chili's without going through all of that online skinamerink and that's if positions are even open as opposed to being filled with the friends/relatives of people already working there.

Day laborers and illegals are more likely to get hired off the street than anyone I know now lol Then people wonder why so many start doing things under the table, trying to skirt around the system.

Anyway, I recently discovered that either Home Goods or Marshalls still takes paper applications. I told my friend about it because she's looking for a job. She's had no luck at all with the online process. It's night and day compared to when she could do things in person. We'll see what happens! I don't know if it's all of them though or just the ones near me, so she said she'll check.
This is why I was advised to overlook online applications and just go to a temping agency. This is where most jobs are placed today anyways.

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 11-14-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times
Don't forget merchants that have online applications but are only allowed to be accessed in the store. Publix, for example, uses online applications but you can only fill them out on their in-store computers. I don't know why, or if it's or not in the advantage of the job seeker.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:59 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,982 times
There were employment agencies just like Kelly services.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:30 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
What are you? An alien?
Networking was the same then as it is now but, jobs were advertised in printed publications instead of online and there were job fairs, just like today.
Words outta my mouth. Amazing how little people know these days.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Words outta my mouth. Amazing how little people know these days.
Guess what. Someone from 100 years ago would say the same thing to you. Times change. Paradigms shift. Get over it and get over yourself.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:48 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,424,256 times
IBM in a Boca had a large lobby with a stack of applications on a table. You filled the app out, threw in your resume if you had one, and slipped it into a large locked mailbox-type container.

Then they called you. Or not.

Or you called first and asked for HR, or personnel or whatever they called it. Then they would tell you to fill out the app.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-14-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
without internet and email, you had to mail in applications. However, stamps were cheaper back then then they were today, inflation not withstanding.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Doesn't it go both ways? From what I've researched from archives that were never uploaded into an electronic format, humans used to have to drive 6 miles, rain or shine, just to go to a movie rental building just to be told that all three of the copies of the movie they wanted were checked out, and they actually had to sit there and do nothing while doing something called rewinding the cassette.

You don't get out much, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I can't speak for non humans. Perhaps they did it differently.
Here's how my cat got his job: He showed up in my backyard and looked cute and pathetic at the same time.

I wonder how that would work for humans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
My first job, I chiseled my name and cave number into a rock and left it at the entrance to the quarry.
Huh, you must be older than I am; I used papyrus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search