Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 AM

321 posts, read 292,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
What was the hiring process like before the internet? Or did humans for the most part work at the local machine making place?

How did humans who graduate from universities across the country apply to highly sought after salaried positions in big cities, particularly when they have never been there? How did humans find jobs that were just as well compensated and just as good for personal development and lifestyle but were in a different location?

It was the same, instead of emailing resume/cover letter PDFs, they were sent through snail mail.

And for other locations, I got the newspapers for the locations I wanted to move to. Big cities generally had at least one place that carried the newspapers for other cities. In Boston, it was Out of Town News in Harvard Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:25 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilywhite View Post
So you are from another universe dude ? The medium just changed now otherwise process is still same. People get notified by employer websites and local international job portals plus newspaper ads and advertisement still there. So what was exactly the thing you wanted to ask ? seriously

You're chastising the op only to say the process is the same and people get notified by employer websites?

Employer websites didn't exist before the internet.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Please don't tell me that you have a degree.
I have this thought a dozen times a day reading through posts here.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:38 AM

513 posts, read 737,739 times
Default Yep, I ran into this

when talking to my elderly aunt about job hunting in my old hometown where she still lived; she was at the time 70-something. She kept saying "go by these companies, you'll do better in person." One was the local hospital, local mall stores--she made me promise I would go there in person before I left town. I tried to explain to her that they would just refer me to their online application process (which of course was true--I went in person at the hospital and they directed me to their computers), but she didn't want to hear that.

One thing she volunteered was so funny in retrospect--she had always had a very deep and loud voice, mannish in fact, and she said it would be helpful to me to apply in person since I had a feminine voice!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:44 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Some people will get upset about any little thing...

Is it really that big of a deal that the OP said "humans?" Are we not humans?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:53 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
In the glory days, you just walked in and said hello. You were given an application. A manager would come out and scan over it. He would ask a few questions. If you did not come across as a total imbecile the Manager would generally ask when you were available to start. Those were the days!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
when talking to my elderly aunt about job hunting in my old hometown where she still lived; she was at the time 70-something. She kept saying "go by these companies, you'll do better in person." One was the local hospital, local mall stores--she made me promise I would go there in person before I left town. I tried to explain to her that they would just refer me to their online application process (which of course was true--I went in person at the hospital and they directed me to their computers), but she didn't want to hear that.

One thing she volunteered was so funny in retrospect--she had always had a very deep and loud voice, mannish in fact, and she said it would be helpful to me to apply in person since I had a feminine voice!
It sounds like your Aunt may have felt she was a victim of voice discrimination.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,397 times
I thank goodness I existed before the Internet and had the benefit of campus interviewing that actually worked. I also mailed in a resume to a newspaper ad that got me an interview and job offer. I have never used monster.com or any online service and will happily live the rest of my life hopefully never using the Internet to get a job.

PS I like how the OP referred to "humans" and I know it was tongue in cheek to add humor to a question.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:50 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,766 times
You would go in person and fill out the application.

Nowadays, if you walk into a business and ask for an app, they look at you like you are from mars. Everything has to be done online now.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
You would go in person and fill out the application.

Nowadays, if you walk into a business and ask for an app, they look at you like you are from mars. Everything has to be done online now.
Doesn't it go both ways? From what I've researched from archives that were never uploaded into an electronic format, humans used to have to drive 6 miles, rain or shine, just to go to a movie rental building just to be told that all three of the copies of the movie they wanted were checked out, and they actually had to sit there and do nothing while doing something called rewinding the cassette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search