Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
No idea why it took them so long but they really wanted me to interview after the six week wait. Two people called me to interview but I had already taken another job.
I see. Thank you. Must've been nice telling them to buzz off after having called you 6 weeks later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I guess it's a little longer when it comes to government jobs. I would email as a follow up so that they can respond when they get time. No point in calling and having a phone conversation that maybe arkward.
Thank you. It seems to be the norm for gov't jobs to take much longer than private jobs. Unfortunately this particular job I'm waiting for is in private.

I was thinking the same thing. I once called the HR contact a week after my interview, she spoke to me in the most annoyed tone imaginable, as if I woke her up at 3 am in the morning. Coincidentally, I received a rejection letter later that afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I see. Thank you. Must've been nice telling them to buzz off after having called you 6 weeks later...

Thank you. It seems to be the norm for gov't jobs to take much longer than private jobs. Unfortunately this particular job I'm waiting for is in private.

I was thinking the same thing. I once called the HR contact a week after my interview, she spoke to me in the most annoyed tone imaginable, as if I woke her up at 3 am in the morning. Coincidentally, I received a rejection letter later that afternoon.

Exactly, just follow up from a distance.........email

Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
yes but we were both following up with each other throughout the process. have you followed up? have they?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
It's typical in the video game industry to have an average 4 week wait from final interview to getting an offer or not. Knew a guy that got an offer 6 weeks after the final interview.

Best to always keep looking elsewhere though, and if you do get a job offer elsewhere, you can go back to the company you are waiting to hear from and tell them you have a pending offer.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:31 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I interviewed in January. The background started in March. Was offered the job in May with the start date in August. It was in the same organization and the need to staffing.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
It was very satisfying to tell them I already had been hired somewhere else.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Government employers and contractors are notoriously slow going. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those drug out for three months.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It was very satisfying to tell them I already had been hired somewhere else.
I had to do that but to be honest it was the job I wanted the most because it was walking distance from my apt and more money. So having to say that was hard but I still ended up in a cool situation and only a 20 minute commute.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Exactly, just follow up from a distance.........email
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yes but we were both following up with each other throughout the process. have you followed up? have they?
Thank you. I have not followed up with them since sending out my thank you letters which was a while ago. One of the interviews did reply back to my letter which was nice. But, no, they also have not kept in touch with me either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
It's typical in the video game industry to have an average 4 week wait from final interview to getting an offer or not. Knew a guy that got an offer 6 weeks after the final interview.

Best to always keep looking elsewhere though, and if you do get a job offer elsewhere, you can go back to the company you are waiting to hear from and tell them you have a pending offer.
Thank you. That's interesting, I wonder why it generally differs from one industry to the other. This position is within the auditing industry. I'm definitely looking. I just submitted 4 apps today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I interviewed in January. The background started in March. Was offered the job in May with the start date in August. It was in the same organization and the need to staffing.
Thank you. That's an extremely long process which I feel is reserved for graduating seniors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Government employers and contractors are notoriously slow going. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those drug out for three months.
This job is private which makes me more anxious as I know gov't jobs can take long, while private employers can call the next day to give an offer if they really wanted to.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 AM

114 posts, read 431,487 times
I did. Received an offer more than a month after the interview. But I was told during the interview that the timeline could be that long.I emailed them once during that month to check if they had made a decision, to which I got a prompt reply informing me with the latest date by which they meant to complete the hiring for that position.

In conclusion, yes it can be long process, but there may be subtle indicators about your chances, in the way the HR responds to your queries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search