Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:19 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
haha, I went on a few interviews like that! The hours were 8-6pm, but when I showed up they said the hours went from 11am - 7-8pm. I checked out mentally at that point and just went through the motions of the interview.
Yeah I don't play "Oh the by the way" game at all when it comes to false advertisement. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Before the interview. I showed up for an interview for "an appointment taker" job, which I assumed would be people calling me to set up appointments. When I arrived there, waiting for my interview appointment, I realized it was a telemarketing position. My first question when the interview started was this a telemarketing job, and when they said yes, I said this job wasn't for me, I got up and left. I even asked them for my application back, but they wouldn't give to to me, probably wanted to add it to the list of people they call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
haha, I went on a few interviews like that! The hours were 8-6pm, but when I showed up they said the hours went from 11am - 7-8pm. I checked out mentally at that point and just went through the motions of the interview.
Why Waste you time, if you already determined your not interested, just tell them so and leave. Why waste your time and there's?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:35 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Under 10 minutes for sure.

- Social work job was glorified camp counsellor

- Interviewer kept asking behavioural questions about "ages 8-12 xyz, what did you do when..." after I stated numerous times I had no experience with that demographic.

- 7-3/3-11/11-7 shifts were actually "maybe 10-10 or 9-9".

They were clearly starting-up and not experienced, I don't hold it against them, but it was a misrepresented job. They wanted a social work degree and experience, so they should offer a professional interview at least. It wasn't an entry-level ad.

I called them after and said I wasn't interested anymore.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:39 AM

671 posts, read 901,302 times
I'm from MA, but was flying down to Florida in a month to help my grandfather with my sick grandmother, so I researched some companies in Flordia, sent out my resume. I finally heard back from one of the companies, and I had a 30 minute phone interview with the guy and we set up a time and date for my interview.

The day before the interview, I call up the guy (since we hadn't spoken for over a month), just to confirm that we were still on for tomorrow. He had no idea what I was talking about, didn't remember my name, and then finally after I reminded him and reminded him about the emails, he remembered.

On my way to the interview, I get a call from a company in MA that I interviewed at a few months back. That director says "Hey, uh, what are you doing?" I said "I'm actually down in Florida helping out my grandfather." He then says "It's time for you to come home..." and makes an offer.

I drive on to the Florida interview anyways. I drive by the address and notice it's a (I think it's called a strip mall? Or maybe a plaza? But it's 3-4 business that share a long one floor building.) and it has a couple businesses. The windows are all boarded up and there's only a couple cars in the driveway.

I drive past and re-check the address. Yup, that was the spot. I sit in my car, looking over my resume and some notes... I briefly consider texting the address to my bad in case I get murdered.

Turns out it was a legitimate company, very small though. The interview went pretty well, though. He ended up asking me what I wanted for a salary, I told him what the other guy offered... his face kind of lit up shocked and he said that I wouldn't be able to get that much down here... I asked how much, and he offered an hourly rate that was half as much (and his offer didn't include benefits). I ended up flying home and taking the MA job.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Why Waste you time, if you already determined your not interested, just tell them so and leave. Why waste your time and there's?
It was in another state, so I was getting my time's worth. And it was good practice, so I wasn't going to just walk out. But I became disinterested in the job after that.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,980 times
in my case it was before and after the interview (i took the job because i needed one). before in that they were a rinky-dink division of a larger company that took up the 3rd floor of an old rundown schoolhouse. red flag #1. after in that on my first day, i walked up the stairs and met my boss in the hallway. he wreaked of liquor. i regretted my decision from that point on but stuck it out for 3 months. the killer is i had a chance to interview with another company the Tues of my first week at the new job but because i was working, i tried to get them to schedule it later in the afternoon. they didn't and i never heard from them again. if i had just put off accepting the offer for just a couple days (nobody was banging down the door to work there), i could have taken that other interview and who knows what would have happened.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:13 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
have way through, I got up and walked out before it was over. I done it twice.

people say, he just doesn't want to work, no, i just don't want to work for you.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:38 AM

285 posts, read 534,653 times
When I pulled into the parking spot at their parking garage before the interview. Seriously. My gut was telling me I should 'just go home'. I went to the interview, and then back for a few more... but I had pretty much known deep down since the first one that I didn't want to work there (for some reason this didn't register consciously). The people I spoke with gave off a shady vibe, and I can't describe the atmosphere other than feeling greasy. I ended up not accepting the role. Apparently they have a questionable reputation and now I know why.

Another place (that I did end up working at, but probably should have avoided), the interviewer (male) was so awkward it made it difficult to have a professional conversation. He just kind of sat there staring and smiling, not asking many questions, and made it hard to interview on my end because it felt forced and uncomfortable. He ended up being my boss and was just as socially awkward (with absolutely everyone) until the day I left. In fact, when I gave my resignation, he sat awkwardly smiling at me the entire time, which there aren't really adequate words to describe.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:08 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
The last interview I had I thought it was going to be a step up in pay and responsibility, so I was happy when I was offered the interview. When I got to the company's HQ, I had to wait 10 minutes after my scheduled appt. time even though I was there 10 minutes early. Strike #1.

Sitting in the lobby I tried to take note of the people walking in. Most seemed stressed or hurried. Not really happy to be there. Strike #2.

Met the guy I was interviewing with and he commented on me being "overdressed". Okay. I guess I thought suit and tie was pretty much standard in almost any professional/real estate related job. Fine, no worries. Start interviewing and he pretty much talks the whole time. I think he gave me a full 1 minute to speak during the whole interview. Strike #3.

He stated he pretty much gets in at 5:30am each day and doesn't leave until 7pm. Obviously a total workaholic, which means he likely expects that of his employees, also. No work-life balance? Strike #4.

Finally, we get to the topic of pay. He asks about range and I state I'd like to make 15-20% more than currently making since it would be a step up in title and responsibility (would be managing a team of 4-5 people whereas now I have no subordinates). Turns out the pay range they had in mind is about 15% LESS than I'm currently making. So...more work and many more hours for less money - all just to have "Manager" in my title? Thanks but no thanks.

Short answer: I guess I knew it wasn't for me within the first 20 minutes.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:48 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
The deadpan tone was enough for me to realize I wasn't getting the administrative assistant position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search