Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM

140 posts, read 223,400 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I just need some opinions on this as I've never encountered a situation quite like it before. So to give you the run down, I interviewed for a position multiple times right before the holidays and was called on Dec 29th by HR and was verbally told that I 100% had landed the position if I wanted it and that I would get a formal written offer letter and various BGC packets via email the following Monday. At this point I was ecstatic and of course accepted! So the Monday comes around and I receive nothing. So to be courteous I wait until EOD on Tuesday to call them, which I end up doing as I still have received nothing. I'm then told by the same person that I will receive it on Thursday by EOD of the same week. Thursday comes around and then Friday and I still hear nothing. So I call them the following Monday as I don't want to seem too eager or desperate. I'm then told that the company had a big event and all the people who needed to sign off on the offer were away that prior week and that I would get an offer the coming Wednesday and if I don't to call HR again. Wednesday EOD comes around and still nothing, I call HR and the same person tells me that the offer letter is sitting on the COO's desk waiting for sign off and that no matter what I would hear something in 24-48 hours by that Friday. That Friday has past and it's now Monday (Holiday) and I still have heard nothing.

So my question is what do you all think, am I being strung along? Could they have someone they'd rather hire and have me just be on the back burner? or is this legitimately how long some companies take to offer a written letter post verbal offer? I'm a 10 year professional and have never witnessed this type of delay for a written offer letter. Additionally to put things into perspective it's been 3 weeks since I was verbally offered the job. Should I be worried? Could this just be an inexperienced HR person?

So far I've been applying to other positions in the meantime until they give me a concrete offer, which I feel is the smart thing to do, however, I really would love this position and the pay is what I have been aiming for.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 02:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Until you have the letter in hand I wouldn't count it as an offer. I have never had anything quite that bad before with a potential job. It sounds incredibly stressful.

Hopefully they are being honest and have been a bit crazy. I have had (much shorter time) that happen before for a couple of weeks.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I would continue to follow up each week while applying to other positions, as you're doing. I've never had something postponed like that. Perhaps they wanted to figure out their budget before making you an offer.

I would wonder if this is a red flag, however. I'd worry less about HR and more about the guy who has the offer sitting on his desk.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Until you have the letter in hand I wouldn't count it as an offer. I have never had anything quite that bad before with a potential job. It sounds incredibly stressful.

Hopefully they are being honest and have been a bit crazy. I have had (much shorter time) that happen before for a couple of weeks.
Yeah that's pretty much been my mind set, just keep looking and interviewing until they actually send me something in writing. It is extremely stressful because this position is essentially a dream job for me and I know I'd be really great at it. The thing that's most upsetting though is if they are just jerking me around then why not just tell me I don't have it by the first/second week why wait over 3 weeks to tell me anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I would continue to follow up each week while applying to other positions, as you're doing. I've never had something postponed like that. Perhaps they wanted to figure out their budget before making you an offer.

I would wonder if this is a red flag, however. I'd worry less about HR and more about the guy who has the offer sitting on his desk.

Good luck!
Yeah, that's exactly what I've been trying to do by following up each week. At this point I feel like the HR person is not doing their job and I'm the one who keeps checking in constantly. To put things into perspective since get the initial verbal offer the HR rep hasn't once initiated any sort of status update to me, I've constantly been the one emailing/calling for an update. So at this point I think I'm going to stop contacting them and let them contact me when they're good and ready. If two more weeks go by and I don't hear anything I'll call again and ask what the deal is and maybe stress that I'm looking at other opportunities?

Budget wise, I asked them for the lower scale on the salary range they had to offer so the salary amount shouldn't be the issue, I could have easily asked them for 5-10k more and been within their range. The only reason I didn't is because the company is so well known for my career and the position would be right up my alley that I didn't want to jinx/turn them off by a higher salary request.

I forgot to mention two things in my initial post, during my interviews they had said at least 5 times that they were looking to fill and hire the position a.s.a.p to quote them exactly; "We want this position filled last week". Second thing is when the HR rep originally made me the verbal offer they said that I should give my current company notice (which I luckily didn't otherwise I'd be screwed right now) and then as recently as last week the HR person said, "Don't give your company notice quite yet" which makes me think that this position won't happen or won't happen anytime soon.

The final question I have for you guys is after all of this should I want to work for a company like this? Or rather if I know the HR is this bad is it a good idea?

Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Never judge a company by the people in HR.

Having said that, it's possible the person in HR is faced with this a lot in this company and is tired of following up with people with no news. If the hiring managers are slow moving and slow to make decisions, which could be the case, I wouldn't want to work for that company. The problem is, how do you know the source of this issue?

Have you checked glassdoor to see what the reviews say?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Well another update, for the first time the HR person actually called to give me a status update. They said that the offer letter is still waiting to be signed on someone's desk and I may or may not hear something by the end of the week and to not give notice for any current job I have yet.

At this rate even if I hear back from the company by Friday I wouldn't be starting the position till February.

I'm perplexed about this whole situation. I've worked for 6 companies in my life and never had a hiring process delayed this much.

Additionally, I've been offered 3 interviews this week for other companies, which I plan to do as I haven't received anything official yet. I'm thinking about asking these other companies for higher pay and ultimately seeing who is willing to A. Offer more and B. Actually give me a real offer letter sooner.

Thoughts? Is what I'm doing smart?

Additionally, I forgot to mention that the sooner and higher of a salary I get the better as my fiancee and I are saving for a wedding this summer.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:45 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas185 View Post
Well another update, for the first time the HR person actually called to give me a status update. They said that the offer letter is still waiting to be signed on someone's desk and I may or may not hear something by the end of the week and to not give notice for any current job I have yet.

At this rate even if I hear back from the company by Friday I wouldn't be starting the position till February.

I'm perplexed about this whole situation. I've worked for 6 companies in my life and never had a hiring process delayed this much.

Additionally, I've been offered 3 interviews this week for other companies, which I plan to do as I haven't received anything official yet. I'm thinking about asking these other companies for higher pay and ultimately seeing who is willing to A. Offer more and B. Actually give me a real offer letter sooner.

Thoughts? Is what I'm doing smart?

Additionally, I forgot to mention that the sooner and higher of a salary I get the better as my fiancee and I are saving for a wedding this summer.

Of course. You currently have nothing from that company but lip service.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
What industry are you in?

If you're even peripherally related to Oil & Gas it's likely the position is just vanishing.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Of course. You currently have nothing from that company but lip service.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
What industry are you in?

If you're even peripherally related to Oil & Gas it's likely the position is just vanishing.
IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Have you checked glassdoor to see what the reviews say?
I have checked glassdoor. Reviews are mixed on the company 2.7 rating overall. Main problem seems to be that management only promotes certain types of liked individuals (which is typical for any job in my experience). However the benefits and salary for the company are all above area standards. Plus it's a company that I have praised for decades lol.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Ok I just wanted to give another update. It's going to be going on week 4 starting Monday. The hr person said that they'd get in contact with me by today and again no email or phone call. It feels like this is a horrible new record that is set.

The good news is that I had 3 interviews this week two of which went extremely well and I have another scheduled for next week. I know I'll be getting a second offer by next week. The question is should I negotiate and just take the newer offer if they offer more then this job that never gave me anything in writing or should I hold out and wait? I feel like 4 weeks and no written offer is an insult at this point, but maybe that's just my ego getting in the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search