Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,575,968 times

Advertisements

Yes, definitely ridiculous, time wasting questions.
I'm in an interview I want to hear about the job, the department, the company. Tell me what you are looking for in a candidate, etc.
Then pull out my resume and ask me about my skillset, experiences, education so that I can show you, employer, how I'd be a great asset to your company, etc.
Other than the initial impression/greeting and the ''hope to hear from you soon'', the rest is a waste of time and produces nothing useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM

5,901 posts, read 3,910,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Other than the initial impression/greeting and the ''hope to hear from you soon'', the rest is a waste of time and produces nothing useful.
Even their time frames aren't useful at all anymore. When they say "We'll be reaching out to you on Friday," I know the exact opposite will happen lol

Old 09-29-2015, 03:32 PM

368 posts, read 413,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Then pull out my resume and ask me about my skillset, experiences, education so that I can show you, employer, how I'd be a great asset to your company, etc.
Exactly this All of the interviews Ive had in the past year revolve around these "situational" based questions & they are absolutely useless. USELESS. In the end, what ends up happening is, the best applicants w/ loads of experience & years under their belts get passed over for some kid who works at Starbucks who happened to answer some mythical questions better & just ends up quitting/getting fired a few months later because they have no work ethic & then, they are right back to square one, all over again. Ive seen it ALL over these 25 years in the workforce, lemme tell ya. The stupidity of these HR dolts is just maddening.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:55 PM

4,513 posts, read 5,065,438 times
I'm retired but apparently I wouldn't be able to land a job today. I absolutely hate the way companies hire these days. Back when I was looking for a job, you were interviewed by a foreman or manager that actually knew what the job required and judged whether or not they thought you could do it. Not some Human Resource person who has never done the job and just reads a bunch of questions made up by somebody else that's never done the job. I'd say that 99% of the jobs I had as a young man, were jobs that I had no experience in and just learned by doing them. This includes starting out at the bottom and ending up in a management position. I feel that if the person interviewing me, doesn't know how to do the job I'm applying for, then how can they know that I can or cannot do it ? I think a lot of people that could really do a great job and help a company's business, don't get hired because they answered some stupid ass question wrong. By the way, I got tired of working for some else so I started my own company and hired several young folks and gave them training and a chance to do the job. I always told my employees to suggest any ideas they had that might improve a project. I also used to let each person be the boss for a week just to see what it was like. Most of them were happy to hand it back to me at the end of the week. It was fun and taught them responsibility.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM

368 posts, read 413,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
. Back when I was looking for a job, you were interviewed by a foreman or manager that actually knew what the job required and judged whether or not they thought you could do it. Not some Human Resource person who has never done the job and just reads a bunch of questions made up by somebody else that's never done the job.

Winner You are absolutely correct, sir. Ive been in my field for almost 25 years, lost my job a year & half ago and have had 5 interviews w/ major corporations in my line of work, in this past year. Denied all 5 times. I was told straight from the horses mouth that, in HR's eyes, younger people w/ no or little experience are more "mold-able" & trainable. Not to mention that they just seem to have a better penchant for answering these asinine situational questions. Its just appalling.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times
I especially can't stand interviews.

I hate the field of psychology. I have no respect for the field, find its entire premise faulty and arrogant, went out of my way to avoid taking courses in it, and as a member of a field based on solid reasoning the stuff that comes out of it just makes me cringe and uncomfortable. I, therefore, really do not like when HR people with the brain size of a goldfish start prattling off psychobabble at me.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:06 PM

850 posts, read 903,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
(A)...... I don't understand. I thought with an unemployment rate of 5.2% there was a job waiting for just about everyone.
OK. That was snarky. But it wasn't directed at you.

(B)....I think with this question, I would go ahead and confess that I would really like to be as skilled at interviewing prospective employees as he is.
That would probably end the interview, but with idiot questions like that being asked, who cares?

BOL! Take care, there are idiots in charge out there.
There are jobs waiting but you competing with hundreds of applicants and you have to be almost flawless to come out on top. All you can do is smile and take it when going on interviews and hope and pray the odds are in your favor.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,938,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
All Employment questions have a purpose, and its not always apparent. We used to give out questions like this to prospective employees, and then send them to a "Think Tank" to have analyzed. Very accurate returns.
Thanks for inadvertently pointing out the silliness of personnel offices. I can only imagine the kind of brain power at work in an HR office "Think Tank"--it just might light up a 10-watt bulb.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM

850 posts, read 903,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

I hate the field of psychology. I have no respect for the field, find its entire premise faulty and arrogant, went out of my way to avoid taking courses in it, and as a member of a field based on solid reasoning the stuff that comes out of it just makes me cringe and uncomfortable. I, therefore, really do not like when HR people with the brain size of a goldfish start prattling off psychobabble at me.
Oh man, I just had a 4 hour interview with 8 different scientists with 8 different interview styles. 95% of the questions they asked were touchy feely psychology and behavioral questions. I felt so drained coming out of that interview. Can't say how well I did but I guess I will know in a couple weeks.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Are you a scientologist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search