Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:13 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times

Advertisements

Forgive me for asking such a dumb question, but I was wondering if the mountains in and around the Salt Lake metro area are forested, or bare rock?

Strange as it may sound, it is one of those little odd quirky things that will help me determine if I want to move to Salt Lake or not.

Now, a couple of other questions which will hopefully not be too dumb....

I asked this same thing over in the Portland forums, and I'd like to ask it here: Tell me about the recreational parks and other areas within about 25-75 miles of Salt Lake, where someone can go to hike some trails, ride on a paved biking path, take photos of stunning scenery (with or without lots of evergreens), see a waterfall, and maybe walk/relax along a rocky stream with some footbridges in a gorge. I'd be particularly interested in the more rugged areas, with lots of rocky outcroppings and cliffs.

Another question: What kind of unique shopping experiences are around the area, and would I be able to find some good cafes with great food and a nice ambiance?

Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
I don't think it's a dumb question at all. I grew up visiting my grandparents in the Cascades of Washington State, so I got used to forested mountains. When I came to Utah for the first time at age 19, I was surprised to see mostly bare mountains. In my opinion, nothing compares to the forested Cascades or the Tetons, with the Utah mountains being a shade behind. That said, I like Utah's climate better than either of those two places.

The mountains around are Salt Lake about 25 percent bare, 50 percent scrub oak, and 25 percent evergreens mostly near the tops. Once you get up the canyons, and on the back sides there are more trees. Some days I think the mountains are spectacular. Some days I think they are just "nice," but those are the days I might be a bit spoiled.

There are too many recreational opportunities to mention, but all of the things you mentioned are easily available. Mount Timpanogos is a great, but strenuous hike, that offers spectacular scenery. It takes all day and is not easy. My next project, in the next month or so, will be to hike Mt. Olympus near Salt Lake. It is supposed to be relatively easier and have great views.

Shopping is fine. Maybe even too available, but don't tell my wife I said that. You obviously won't have the selection of a New York or LA, but there are numerous individual restaurants and pretty much all the chains are around.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:58 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
SLC is very much forrested. If you love photography and beautiful landscape check out Logan Canyon it's about 2 hours north of Salt lake and it's beautiful you will drive through sardene (sp?) canyon before entering logan, and then on up to Logan canyon and if you do the drive in the fall it's absolutely breathtaking!! I miss it just thinking about it. It's a wonderful place to find inspiration for an artist.

Also SLC is very cute and you will find hip trendy places to shop and dine! Just stay in the downtown area, also you could try trolley square (but that's where some shootings took place last feb, so I'm not sure if it's still vibrant)

Also if you love mtn biking there are numerous trails in the salt lake area as well as places to hike. You won't be dissapointed in that respect!

Southern Utah is the redrock barren area.

Old 05-27-2007, 06:03 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
you could try trolley square (but that's where some shootings took place last feb, so I'm not sure if it's still vibrant)
I went to Trolley Square earlier this month. Seemed like business as usual.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I went to Trolley Square earlier this month. Seemed like business as usual.
Glad to hear, I always liked that place.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
People have been able to cope with that and begin the healing process.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Can anyone post specific links to some of these recreation areas? My heart is in a 3-way tug-of-war right now, between the Portland, Denver, and Salt Lake metro areas.

Also, are there any regional food specialties in SLC? For example, in Cincinnati we have a distinctive sort of chili (that contains chocolate), as well as something called "goetta" - which is spiced ground pork (sometimes beef) mixed with pin oats and onions, and then fried.

I appreciate all the responses.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM

242 posts, read 854,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Can anyone post specific links to some of these recreation areas? My heart is in a 3-way tug-of-war right now, between the Portland, Denver, and Salt Lake metro areas.

Also, are there any regional food specialties in SLC? For example, in Cincinnati we have a distinctive sort of chili (that contains chocolate), as well as something called "goetta" - which is spiced ground pork (sometimes beef) mixed with pin oats and onions, and then fried.

I appreciate all the responses.
I've never been to Portland so I can't say anything about it, but the one thing that I like about Salt Lake over Denver is that the mountains are literally right there. I was in Denver back in March and the mountains seemed so far away. Of course I was in the downtown area my entire trip but the mountains seemed like they would take forever to get to. I'm not sure about the actual driving time. What I have found in Salt Lake is that no matter where you are in the valley you are surrounded by mountains and I just love that view. Plus it is just a short drive to get practically anywhere in the mountains for recreation purposes.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:36 PM

^I have to admit, that's one thing I, too, like about SLC over Denver. But I also don't mind a bit of a drive into the mountains, because currently I'd have to drive at least 6 hours to see any decent mountains (the Smokies in Tennessee), so it wouldn't bother me too much to drive 45-60 minutes to get into the heart of them outside Denver. Right now, I already drive about 40 minutes just to get into a local state park, and that's just for some hills and a lake.

More than anything, I just want to be able to drive somewhere (that won't take me a whole morning to reach), pull off the road to see some rugged beauty and streams, hike a little bit, take some pictures, and be back home before it gets dark.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM

242 posts, read 854,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
^I have to admit, that's one thing I, too, like about SLC over Denver. But I also don't mind a bit of a drive into the mountains, because currently I'd have to drive at least 6 hours to see any decent mountains (the Smokies in Tennessee), so it wouldn't bother me too much to drive 45-60 minutes to get into the heart of them outside Denver. Right now, I already drive about 40 minutes just to get into a local state park, and that's just for some hills and a lake.

More than anything, I just want to be able to drive somewhere (that won't take me a whole morning to reach), pull off the road to see some rugged beauty and streams, hike a little bit, take some pictures, and be back home before it gets dark.
That is certainly doable here. Last weekend I drove to the Little Sahara Sand Dunes for a day camping trip. I joined a friend and her family. The scenery was completely different from the Salt Lake Valley and was within a two hour drive. Plenty of picture taking opportunities. I was going to bring my camera but decided against it because I didn't want to find out how much damage the sand could bring to my camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area