Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Once we had an applicant who not only had a bachelors, but also a masters, both from UOP.

HR sent the resume to all the managers as a joke and everyone got a good laugh.

I would leave it off the resume. Absolute garbage unless you work government where a degree from anywhere is OK to qualify you for something like a promotion.
That's is halarious. It's so sad it's funny. Imagine the guy applying seeing 6 years of his life and all that debt being flushed down the toilet in a few seconds. Oops!

I think you still have to have it on there because you need a degree. You have to just take the chance that he employer won't notice or care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
That's is halarious. It's so sad it's funny. Imagine the guy applying seeing 6 years of his life and all that debt being flushed down the toilet in a few seconds. Oops!

I think you still have to have it on there because you need a degree. You have to just take the chance that he employer won't notice or care.
You need to apply to government jobs. Places that just look for it, check a box that you have it, and move on.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
I distinctly recall a Fed job ad that specified a degree from an accredited university and had a listing of such institutions and none of the for-profits were on there.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:09 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
There was a good documentary on PBS about these colleges last night (for profits). They had 3 girls who went through a nursing program and never had a single clinical! She said for their psych clinical, they went to a Scientology museum. I work with nurses, and real nursing programs have hundreds of hours in hospital/clinic settings, this program had none. The girls said when they applied for jobs, they kept being asked what hospitals they did their clinicals in and when they said they didn't have them, they had no job offers.

One girl paid off the $28,000 she owed for this program, then re-enrolled in community college and went through the nursing program all over again. This time with a job at the end, and only $3000 in costs.

These colleges are rip off mills. Their job placement rates are all lies. The senate tried to pass new rules regulating them, but the R-congress said no after very intense lobbying by the corporations who own the schools and their hired minions.

I don't know why anyone would attend these schools when both CC and most public colleges have options for study at home and are much cheaper.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/ar...oken-promises/

Old 09-15-2016, 09:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
As a senior manager, when I'm hiring, I view them as neutral to slightly negative. While I appreciate the effort that it takes to see something through to completion, I question the judgment of someone that would take that route v. a traditional CC/University path that would likely be less expensive and more informational.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:51 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
I have half a degree from UOP, and it really bugs me (for a non clinical role such as nursing that was mentioned above) that employers would look down on them. Let me tell you, these degrees are far more work than a traditional setting, where 50% of the battle is showing up. You are required to do a significant amount of work, 5 days a week, and write a paper every week.

When I complete my degree, whenever that may be, I'll be looking to go the traditional route - both because I don't have the time/energy to commit to that kind of grueling pace, and because of the perception. Unfortunately, CLEP exams seems to have gone out of favor in the last decade, so finding a school that will accept my existing credits will be challenging. I don't really want to lose any of the credits I have accumulated.

I want to finish my degree for a small modicum of personal satisfaction. Otherwise, it's just to satisfy those who think you are less than others without one. I've managed to do fairly well in my career without one, and have very little personal interest in getting one. However, society dictates that I have to, so....I guess I eventually will.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Let me tell you, these degrees are far more work than a traditional setting, where 50% of the battle is showing up.
Yeah, no. Have you done both? If so, then the traditional place you went was not all that great. You are the first person I've ever heard say that places like UoP are more work than traditional schools.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah, no. Have you done both? If so, then the traditional place you went was not all that great. You are the first person I've ever heard say that places like UoP are more work than traditional schools.
I have done both, in addition to friends who have gone through traditional Master's programs and said they had much less work involved than the workload assigned with online courses. I'm not making a judgement on quality of difficulty of work, merely volume. When I was a student at UOP, the participation requirement was that you had to make 2 "quality" posts on 5 of 7 days of all 5 weeks of the course. Quality meant that you had to have a substantive response, not merely agreeing or disagreeing, but backing it up. This was in addition to whatever assignments were due that week, which was always a paper. In the last week of the course it was a group paper.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I have done both, in addition to friends who have gone through traditional Master's programs and said they had much less work involved than the workload assigned with online courses. I'm not making a judgement on quality of difficulty of work, merely volume. When I was a student at UOP, the participation requirement was that you had to make 2 "quality" posts on 5 of 7 days of all 5 weeks of the course. Quality meant that you had to have a substantive response, not merely agreeing or disagreeing, but backing it up. This was in addition to whatever assignments were due that week, which was always a paper. In the last week of the course it was a group paper.
My online public college Masters program was the same way with quality posts. I was pretty disappointed overall with the quality of my online masters from a public college.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
I taught for two years at a online private university. (I am not saying it was phoenix by posting in this thread. I will leave the name of the "university" anonymous. )

Absolute degree mill. I couldn't believe what was being passed off as education. It was just a huge grant/school loan money grab.

No tests, just writing assignments, online posts/q&a, and a weekly homework assignment. All the grading rubrics where supplied by the university to me and it was impossible to fail as long as you just participated. Even turning everything in on time every week wasn't needed. They gave you the entire session to complete everything. I probably graded half of all the assignments during the last week.

It didn't even matter how well you did on your assignments. If you participated, you got your degree, even if you didn't know a thing.

Even with all this, 15-30% of the "students" in every single class dropped.

I felt so guilty being part of it, but I literally was barely getting by at the time and needed the money. As soon as I no longer needed to work there, I quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search