Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM

268 posts, read 345,195 times

Advertisements

I spent over 2 years working my arse off to get an MBA from the UOP, little did I know then (8 years ago) that the degree is basically worthless.

My company paid for mine 100% so at least I do not have student debt to think about, but the wasted years of getting the degree I will never get back.

Should have just taken the GMAT and gone to a "real" school!

I leave the MBA degree off my resume now and just show my B.S. degree from a private state school, thank God that is still worth something (as good as a high school diploma now??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Question: how were you not aware that University of Phoenix isn't a real university? Honest question too - I thought that was common knowledge even 8 years ago.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:30 PM

268 posts, read 345,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Question: how were you not aware that University of Phoenix isn't a real university? Honest question too - I thought that was common knowledge even 8 years ago.

I knew when I started that I should spend the time and effort at a different school, but in the last few years the publicity started to really question the value of on-line/for-profit degrees....now pretty much everyone is aware of the problems w/ "those schools".

Just wondering how many people actually put the degree on resumes.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:35 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
not sure but my wife finished her BS at Pheonix.. she makes way more $$$ than me so fortunately for her, the company she works for holds her work ethics and skills to a higher standard that the school on her diploma might indicate. The companies I have worked for in the past look at the degree as an accomplishment more so than the actual school, unless of course that school is IVEY league... states schools are no better or worse than for profit schools like Phx... JMO

Old 01-26-2016, 03:42 PM

115 posts, read 146,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
I knew when I started that I should spend the time and effort at a different school, but in the last few years the publicity started to really question the value of on-line/for-profit degrees....now pretty much everyone is aware of the problems w/ "those schools".

Just wondering how many people actually put the degree on resumes.
A lot of well-respected, and of course accredited, schools offer all online programs now, and the degree you get ends up indistinguishable from one you'd get had you taken classes in person. For-profit is a different story, and in my experience (I work in online education) there is basically no reason to take attend a for-profit school because you can find the exact same programs with the same flexibility at equal or lesser cost from a nonprofit private (some of which aren't much better than for-profit) or public school. This might not have been the case in the past, but today you have so many options.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:09 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
I strongly believe that people should be judged on their worth, not on the schools they went to. If you're smart and can do the job, that should be noted.

Don't feel bad OP.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Leave it off resume

Old 01-26-2016, 06:48 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Leave it off resume
Employers can find that out you know...

Old 01-26-2016, 08:29 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I strongly believe that people should be judged on their worth, not on the schools they went to. If you're smart and can do the job, that should be noted.

Don't feel bad OP.
Basing life choices on "should" is a sure path to failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Employers can find that out you know...
No, not really. Not something like this.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
I spent over 2 years working my arse off to get an MBA from the UOP, little did I know then (8 years ago) that the degree is basically worthless.

My company paid for mine 100% so at least I do not have student debt to think about, but the wasted years of getting the degree I will never get back.

Should have just taken the GMAT and gone to a "real" school!

I leave the MBA degree off my resume now and just show my B.S. degree from a private state school, thank God that is still worth something (as good as a high school diploma now??)
I wouldn't put it on the resume at all.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. In my first career I was a diesel mechanic... got that first job via a degree from Universal Technical Institute. Not a great decision, but it's what they talked me into when I was a naive 18-year-old. Worked out ok considering that I got a scholarship cutting down the price substantially. And as a mechanic, that UTI degree was just fine on a resume.

But several years ago I went back to school and got a B.S. in mechanical engineering from a good state university... started my second career as an engineer in the aircraft industry. In this line of work, a degree from Universal Technical Institute will not be a plus. At best it'll be ignored... at worst it'll be seen as proof that I'm a gullible idiot. So I just don't put it on the resume. No problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search