Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 10:16 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

I applied for 3 internal jobs as they popped up over the past two weeks.

I am being interviewed for the first job Monday. Still in the wings with the other two. The person conducting the interview also is the HR recruiter for the other two jobs. It's a big department covered my smaller departments within. So the recruiter probably knows o put on for the jobs.

I mean I want full time work, bit want to keep current pay.

Now there is 3 jobs. One is a rotating 2nd/3rd shift job that only requires graduating high school and a year experience/or an associates degree. Job pays less than my current job, but with shift differential it's comparable. I put on my application when asked about pay rate said $20 an hour.

Second job is probably the closet to my current position. Requires an associates degree, year experience, and preferably a bachelors degree. Job is rotating 1st and 2nd shift. Pay is equivalent to current position.

The third position is same job as the first one I mentioned it's full time with 3 12 hour shifts.

I like the last one because it is easier to continue with school and I can work extra hours at my current job and float to other areas within other subdepartments at the new location.

Just not sure how to express interest in the other two positions over this one. I feel kind of wasting their time, but I don't want to throw away a chance for full time.

Appreciate any insight can give into the matter.

Also have a goatee it's kept tight and clean should I shave it? Have no issue keeping it with work so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM

353 posts, read 427,176 times
I think you take each interview as an interview ONLY for that position. I wouldn't go into interview #1 and make any remark about the other two position unless they bring it up. And if they bring it up only answer whatever question/comment they have related to it and do not go into it any further.

Re; Goatee
If facial hair is okay then I would just as well leave it. You know the environment there so you should know whether or not it is acceptable. Or you could play the safe bet and shave...always have an opportunity to ask them later after you're hired.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Any idea on what to say in regards to getting back to them. Want to hold off as long as possible. The other 2 jobs will be interviewing with the same person. They only has Monday next week and another spot 2 week's away for me to come in for an interview.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Any idea on what to say in regards to getting back to them. Want to hold off as long as possible. The other 2 jobs will be interviewing with the same person. They only has Monday next week and another spot 2 week's away for me to come in for an interview.
Don't lose out on all three jobs if they're only interested in you for one. I would take the first available interview.

Maybe at the very, very end, if they have not brought it up, let them know that you also applied for jobs b and c.

My cautionary advice is that you don't know if they are interested in your for those two other jobs, so you would be taking some gamble by not showing interested in the first one.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 AM

True not much of a gamble since I have a part time job with the company. I figure they'll at least interview me for the jobs. Only way I can see me being knocked out is by senority, which has happen. Can see myself being interviewed. As I said it's the same woman interviewing me. Just let her know at the end if not brought up did apply for job b and c.

I am leaning more to the 1/2 shift gig as I could slide into nights possibly 2 years down the road.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
True not much of a gamble since I have a part time job with the company. I figure they'll at least interview me for the jobs. Only way I can see me being knocked out is by senority, which has happen. Can see myself being interviewed. As I said it's the same woman interviewing me. Just let her know at the end if not brought up did apply for job b and c.

I am leaning more to the 1/2 shift gig as I could slide into nights possibly 2 years down the road.
The problem that you have, obviously, by bringing it up is that it might show the interviewer that you're not really interested in the job you were just interviewing for. You don't want that to happen because it'll be wasting her time...

Old 02-05-2016, 11:59 AM

I know and I am not interested in the job.

Should I call and cancel the interview gamble that the other two jobs may come through. I feel in my gut that be the best option. Think the HR person would respect me more for that.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
I expect they already know you have a goatee so it is probably not an issue -- you should be able to tell what their 'unwritten' policy is by the number of other people with facial hair.

Just be as honest and open as possible but if they don't bring up the other jobs I wouldn't either -- could be awkward.

Smile a lot, be friendly and good luck!!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 PM

Well, if you wouldn't take that job then don't take the interview.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:39 PM

So talked to a close friend who knows about the hiring process. Saying if you back out now can look bad. Go for the interview and if you come off as someone they want that can help you with the other 2 positions.

Now the job interviewing for is still able to be searched the other 2 jobs are not, they are still in review though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search