Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:02 PM

118 posts, read 126,213 times

Advertisements

Is it better to spend all your time and energy working a full time at a minimum wage retail job and job search in your spare time or to not work at all and devote all your time and energy to finding a decent job? I have a little bit of savings to live off. I've been searching for a job full-time for a month now and I've gotten 1 interview from a staffing agency and a couple of emails. That's it! I don't think I can take this for 1 or 2 more months...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,391 times
Take the low paying job. You'll never know how long it will take to get your dream job. You may run out of funds and still not have a job.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 AM

551 posts, read 583,202 times
I would take the retail job too. Yes you have savings, but why burn through that when you are able to work? What if an emergency need for extra money occurs? Also, I can't imagine working will hurt your resume more than a gap. You may find it much easy to get interviews if you are already employed as well.

I can't really see any advantage to continuing to do a "full time" job search actually, when you can easily fill out a handful of apps daily in a matter of an hour or so. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2016, 10:43 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Is it better to spend all your time and energy working a full time at a minimum wage retail job and job search in your spare time or to not work at all and devote all your time and energy to finding a decent job? I have a little bit of savings to live off. I've been searching for a job full-time for a month now and I've gotten 1 interview from a staffing agency and a couple of emails. That's it! I don't think I can take this for 1 or 2 more months...
I did retail for 7 months. If I can do it, you can too. Yes, found another job and it pays low, gives GREAT benefits and frankly I actually look FORWARD to going there everyday...God the last time I was eager for work, was 2003....

I checked the state job bank everyday, plus had put my resume online (And on craigslist, got a 1 year pt gig that was fun) so again, you can take it, just keep looking....

Old 03-31-2016, 01:22 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,982 times
I had to do retail for a while before I landed a full-time job. I hsve nowhere to go but up now.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM

137 posts, read 199,757 times
Are you getting benefits at your retail job? I would suggest you hang in there either way but if you're getting benefits, I would highly recommend you hang in there.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:02 AM

174 posts, read 217,893 times
It depends on your resume. I failed to get jobs I wanted so I took a retail job all the while I continued to search for a really job. I worked the retail on for about 8 months before getting a job I wanted that paid well, and I don't think I would have gotten the good job if not for the retail experience on my resume. (Retail job + full time school at the time was my best trait).

Old 04-02-2016, 11:33 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,931 times
I think it depends how far your money can go and how big of the black hole is on your resume. Obliviously if money is tight then you should probably jump at any retail, if not you can stretch it out a bit more. Now in terms of "black hole", how big is that gap if I don't take job at Walmart, CVS, Stop & Shop etc...? I think once you hit the 4 month+ gap then it may be time to settle for retail.

In my experience, the unemployment gap has always, always been questioned and the longer the gap grows, the harder it is to explain to the interviewer.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:18 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
I would look for something part-time office related if possible. You'll have better flexibility when it comes to interviewing for FT positions and it will look more favorable on your resume should you happen to go a few more months without proper full time employment. As someone who was very successful doing retail while going to school, I can assure you that retail, in general, isn't well respected or appreciated by many employers, unless you're considering a career in retail management, call center work, or another retail job.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM

209 posts, read 292,626 times
It's a survival job. Whatever it takes to make ends meet. Besides, you'll at least have some place to go in to on a regular basis. You have no idea how demoralizing it is to wake up one morning with no place to go. At least in that regard, you'll be keeping your morale up while you do take the time to search for the job you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search