Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:02 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,832,318 times

Advertisements

We Are Screwed All The Way Around

Where do I begin? If you are in the Generation Y (or the upcoming Generation Z), you are pretty much screwed.......

- Cost of living is through the roof

- The divide between the HAVES and HAVE NOTS will get worse

Moderator cut: off topic

- We are going to soon be taxed out of the rear to pay $21 trillion in debt

- We are paying into social security but might not EVER see it back

- The status of the US across the world is horrible

- The Global NWO of big business, big government, and big media are destroying everybody else while they grow their own personal power and influence

- This is the worse job market since the Great Depression

Speaking of the job market, let me go into more in-depth information on that.

The Worse Job Market Of Our Time

It just seems like a very real possibility, for someone to go on 200 job interviews and get NO offers. When you really boil it down, the Employers in question have all of the power and they can punk slap you all around during the interview process all they want....with literally stupid questions, stupid procedures and IF you happen to get in, be prepared to deal with STUPID crap on a daily basis.

The reality is that we are dealing with a very difficult time in terms of the job market.

- Technology is taking away jobs.

- Globalization/cheap labor is taking away jobs.

- More people have a bachelor's degree today than ever before, creating more demand for jobs, which causes Employers to have to use robots and Moderator cut: off topic to filter candidates in terms of interviews to get in the door. HOWEVER, once you are actually in the door, said Employer is also mindful of said horrible job market so expect to be served crap and have to love it.

Job Market Inefficiencies

I posted a lot of this in another section, but here's more information:

#1.) Alot Of Them Hire On Personal Preference Of Who They Would Drink A Beer With, NOT Who Can Do The Damn Job

It doesn't appear as though your professional competency to do well and perform well in the position even matters, it seems like other CRAP that has nothing to do with professional competency is what is driving their "hiring decision" such as the Hiring Manager's own personal preferences of who they want to work with and don't want to work with.

- So if the Hiring Manager doesn't like introverted people, and you're introverted, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like extroverted people, and you're extroverted, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like black people that much, and you're black, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like white people that much, and you're white, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like fat people that much, and you're fat, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like people over 40, and you're 45, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like butt-kissers and you seem like you kiss butt, he won't pick you.
- If he likes butt-kissers and you seem like you don't kiss butt, he won't pick you.
- If he likes people he can bully and boss over, and you seem like the type he can't bully and boss around, he won't pick you.

It's this concept of the Hiring Manager wanting to sit down and have a "beer" with you. But the kicker is that who he wants to have a beer with comes down to his sole personal preference, and has nothing to do with professional competency. So if he only wants to drink beer with extroverts and you're not that, he won't pick you.

Like I said, I haven't been on many interviews but I'm noticing this trend and I honestly DO NOT like it! It's a waste of someone's time! I'm a business man, a professional, and I'm expecting that just like my clients over the previous 10 years picked me based on having the best "product" in terms of value/quality, I was expecting Hiring Managers to do the same thing!

#2.) They Post Public Jobs, But Don't Hire Anybody From The Pile Of People Driving 3 - 4 Hours Out To See Them

On top of this situation, you also have the inefficiency of the JOB BOARDS. What do I mean?

- A job is posted on a job board

- 200 people respond to it

- Some robot created by some kid in his mother's basement screens the applicants based on keywords to filter the list from 200 to let's say 65

- Then some Moderator cut: off topic who knows absolutely no technical information on the position and can barely even spell the name of the Employer......goes through the list of 65 and decides who to call based on how "pretty" their resume looks.

- Then she calls you, asks a bunch of CANNED HR Elementary questions, then when you ask her technical information on the position to get even a feel for what the HELL it is....she says you have to drive out 3 or 4 hours to speak with the "Manager" and he will answer all of your questions.

- You drive 3 or 4 hours to speak with the "Manager", and you discover that this idiot has about 5 other people waiting in line to speak with him and over the course of this week alone, he's probably interviewed about 20 people. You sit down, thinking you are about to have a business conversation about needs/solutions, markets, and quotas, but instead this idiot goes into more CANNED HR Elementary questions and he can't answer a damn thing about the technical aspects of the job either.....you feel like you are in La La Land!

We Are Screwed

Besides opening a business (which I could create 5 more threads on the issues relating to that), does anybody have any ideas of how to navigate this horrible market my Generation (Millennials) were born into ??

Last edited by yellowbelle; 05-02-2016 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: off topic social commentary removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:04 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,243,946 times
I suggest giving up. With such a defeatist attitude you can't possibly get ahead.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM

106,838 posts, read 109,092,448 times
if anyone tells you how to navigate this market you will just shoot them down and go back to your negative views so it would be a waste of time .

there are no guarantees , there are just odds of doing better with somethings then others . but if you do not see the positives out there , including low rates then game is over for you before you start .

instead of posting thread after thread about negatives after negatives why not spend that time researching and learning where the values are today . i don't mean individual stocks i mean the different areas of the stock and bond markets where things are actually undervalued they got hit so hard .

high yield bonds as an example .

we have doubled our income from what we were getting plus have seen appreciation too on them. the markets pummeled the high yield markets and they offer some great value now . that is just one example .

Old 05-02-2016, 11:46 AM

296 posts, read 319,911 times
I just worry about the things I can control.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
I just worry about the things I can control.

Smartest thing I've read on CD in a long time.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:23 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,123,488 times
If you have gotten 200 interviews and failed to get a job, that should tell you something. The extremely negative, defeatist, and depressed attitude will surely come across in an interview.

At the very minimum I would suggest some serious counseling and a psych exam. Also you certainly need to know how to present yourself in an interview. Look at this from the other point of view. No one would interview unless the candidate appeared qualified on paper. No employer wants to waste their time interviewing unsuitable candidates. Two hundred potential employers have wasted their time with you.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:27 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,644,294 times
Jotucker you nailed some key points. Yes the Millennial generation is screwed. Thanks to the preceding generations being fiscally irresponsible. Govt Gauranteed student loans increasing tuition costs to astronomical levels as they preach all children get to go to school etc, Medicare/SS insolvency known for decades now with nothing being done except continuing with the failing programs, ..the list goes on and on..

The younger generations can look forward to higher costs of living, higher taxes, higher debt load, etc

What they have to do is research what is happening and stop playing the system. I know of two friends of mine from High school that both have their own businesses and doing fairly well financially that incurred no debt from going to college.

Have to be smart.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,787,266 times
Yes, yes, yes. Next.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,832,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you have gotten 200 interviews and failed to get a job, that should tell you something.
Yes, that we are operating in one of the worse job markets in history.

Quote:
The extremely negative, defeatist, and depressed attitude will surely come across in an interview.
That attitude is an EFFECT not a CAUSE. Nobody graduates college, gets their required "2 to 3 years" of experience to qualify for the entry level position, fixes up their resume/LinkedIn.....and then runs out into the job market with a depressed attitude. That makes no sense.

But after applying for 3,000 different jobs, getting 200 interviews, wasting countless amounts of money on gas and even flights for the interviews (that the companies didn't reimburse you for), just to get NO JOB OFFERS....then how the hell you can expect that person to NOT be depressed is beyond me.

BTW, I haven't been on 200 interviews personally, but I DO KNOW people who are very qualified, good experience and good resumes, who have been on a hell of a lot of interviews and are experiencing the things I'm ranting about in this thread.

Quote:
At the very minimum I would suggest some serious counseling and a psych exam.
Right, attack the VICTIMS of this market and make fun of them by calling them psycho, gotcha

Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,114,300 times
Maybe if you didn't ***** and whine so much and learn to go with the flow, you would be a happier and more successful person.

If your attitude is fatalistic/doom and gloom, then you are done before you even begin.

Your opportunities are what you make of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search