Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:23 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,257,729 times

Advertisements

i'm looking to change jobs (actually been looking for a while now). although i'm mainly leaving because i want more experience and i'm bored in my current role, one thing i'm looking for is a *little* bit more flexibility. right now i'm very glued to my seat from 930-530 and there is absolutely no wiggle room. so i was hoping to find something a little bit more flexible. but i'm not sure how i can ask this in an interview. i don't want to give off the wrong impression - i feel like if i ask it will sound like i'm looking for an easy gig or i'm not a hard worker or i'm not willing to earn flexibility first before it's granted to me. i was thinking of posing this question "can you give me a few examples of how your company promotes work/life balance". or should i just straight up ask - what are the hours and is there any flexibility?

thoughts?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,569,955 times
Don't even bring it up until an offer is made. Then you can ask about the hours/flex time/scheduling, etc... Then negotiate/discuss if you don't like what you hear.

Bringing it up in any way early will be a red flag for most. Not saying I agree but it is what it is.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Don't even bring it up until an offer is made. Then you can ask about the hours/flex time/scheduling, etc... Then negotiate/discuss if you don't like what you hear.

Bringing it up in any way early will be a red flag for most. Not saying I agree but it is what it is.
ok yeah i thought it would be a red flag too. thanks

Old 10-21-2016, 12:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
I agree, when an offer is made, the employer has decided that they want you, so they are happy to provide details of the benefits, including work/life balance. Here, for example, we (the organization) offer flexible start/end times within a range, telecommuting, and flexible workweek. That is all up to the hiring manager, however, so if the HR person is providing you the answer, ask if that manager would allow it. Not all do, depending on the nature of the work. Sometimes the HR person might have to get back to you.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, when an offer is made, the employer has decided that they want you, so they are happy to provide details of the benefits, including work/life balance. Here, for example, we (the organization) offer flexible start/end times within a range, telecommuting, and flexible workweek. That is all up to the hiring manager, however, so if the HR person is providing you the answer, ask if that manager would allow it. Not all do, depending on the nature of the work. Sometimes the HR person might have to get back to you.
i wonder though if they would retract an offer if they frowned upon someone asking the question? although i guess in that case i wouldn't want the position anyway?

Old 10-21-2016, 02:52 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,891,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i wonder though if they would retract an offer if they frowned upon someone asking the question? although i guess in that case i wouldn't want the position anyway?
That could retract, but unlikely. Some businesses can accommodate, others can't. Even companies that do offer flexibility it's likely certain positions don't allow for it.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,562,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
why wait and waste both your time? Ask early or ask someone you know that works there is easiest way.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
If the company offers a great work/life balance, and flexibility, they won't mind being asked. If they are hard core structured, it will probably be used against you. It depends on how important that is to you, and how badly you want the job, it might be best to ask and not get the job if the answer is not what you want.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Ask them to describe an average day. They will usually indicate the workflow.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,513,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ask them to describe an average day. They will usually indicate the workflow.
Agree. I wouldn't say outright that you're looking for flexibility and/or a nontraditional work schedule because that can be interpreted in an unfavorable light. But asking about what the typical workday looks like can give you an indication of any flexibility. Otherwise, wait until you have an offer to ask about- and potentially negotiate- flexibility in your schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search