Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,809,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletlee View Post
I get it, what I did was wrong. I'm living with the guilt and stress as is.
All I am asking is for advice, and not negative reactions.
well you cant decide the type of response you get on here. hopefully you took responsibility for this and move on. good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM

449 posts, read 495,680 times
Dude lying about a degree is pretty serious sh.t. If you did 3/4 years, why not go back and finish the last year and get that degree? Probably would help you in your job search, you could put your graduation date on your resume.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 82,013 times
Update: I recently signed a job offer, YAY, with a company that has my corrected resume.
I signed the offer letter, and background check forms on Monday (and today is Friday)
The hiring manager wants me to enroll in benefits through a portal for insurance, benefits, etc. He gave me all the paperwork to fill out- W4, I9, etc.
Does this mean I pass my background check? I haven't received any update from the hiring manager regarding it, and I just want to be all cleared before celebrating. I know I have nothing to worry about, however it has been 3 days.

Also, I saw on glassdoor that my position was relisted...is this an automatic post or they are still looking?

I am so nervous.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Congratulations. Unfortunately, there is no way anybody on this forum can definitively answer your questions.

It is fairly common for companies to start the onboarding process for benefits and payroll documents before receiving background check information. It is quite likely that your offer letter or application has a clause that allows them to rescind the offer if the check reveals something serious.

Similarly with the position posting. It might be for another position, it might be an automatic renewal, it might be a clerical error.

You really need to check with the hiring manager for final and definitive information.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
^^ As fish Sounds like you're hired unless they find something else about you that's not acceptable.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Don't worry if you were truthful this time and have nothing to hide.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:32 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Job titles are typically not a major issue, unless you also lied about your job responsibilities and authority. (Many embellish their resume job titles to more clearly match their job role an skills.
Stretching your Education is another matter.

Contact the hiring manager (not HR) and arrange a meeting during which you tell them face-to-face that you only 'completed' 3-years, 'giving yourself credit for work experience.' Tell them you know that was wrong and you intend to complete your degree, but, were forced to go to work, before you could do so earlier. (If your credits and field of study do not otherwise match your claimed degree, they will likely see your entire resume as fabricated).

One of two things will happen. They will either rescind their offer to you -- or keep the offer open (likely under the condition that you complete your degree). If the former, it's better to find out now, rather take a job with that hanging over your head. If the latter, it will clear the air and motivate you to finish your degree ... and stop lying.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:33 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Read TODAY'S update.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Congrats on the job offer OP!!!

A background check can take a week. Sometimes longer.
How many states have you've lived in and how thorough they want to be are factors.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:43 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,837,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley17 View Post
Have you turned in th background check form yet? If not, fill it out honestly and they might not even check it. I've done it a few times. Once I said I had a masters degree in a different subject on my resume, so I just left the masters off all together on my background check form and they never even noticed.

So fill out the background check form accurately, and the background check is usually outsourced. Leave off your college education or just don't check the graduated box. They only verify if what is on your background check form is true. If there no red flags, the report will come back as cleared and HR likely won't look at it any further (i know from experience). They don't normally compare it to your resume. This is without a doubt your best option. Not having the degree you listed will turn up a red flag. Confessing will assure you don't keep the offer.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search