Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:14 AM

514 posts, read 764,689 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed for a non-management, salaried position, both over the phone and in-person. To my surprise, I was as of yesterday requested to come in for an additional in-person interview. Asking why this was the case, I was told that it was a decision made yesterday, and the rationale is that there were hiring managers out of town during my initial interview.

I find this request alarming for a couple reasons.

1) Why was there not a definite, planned candidate search in place from the outset? Decisions such as requesting additional interviews should not be made "on the fly."

2) It demonstrates a severe degree of indecisiveness. If I met with three levels of management in my first interview, why was that not enough basis to make a candidate decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 07:19 AM

96 posts, read 101,094 times
It could be any number of reasons. Sometimes there are politics going on behind the scenes where managers feel slighted/concerned that they are left out of the hiring process. I had this happen to me and in my case it wasn't a red flag for me.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
This doesn't sound like a red flag to me at all. A company being cautious is not a bad thing when such a large commitment is on the line.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
This is very normal. We often call for a second round if there are 2 or more candidates that are very close after the first set, and may bring in different people from other departments that the person would work with. In my case, the first interview was with an HR person, the hiring manager, and someone from Accounting. The second was without the Accounting person, but included someone from Finance and another from Maintenance. I have also seen second interviews with all of the same candidates due to something odd like the hiring manager quits, or moves to another department.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is very normal. We often call for a second round if there are 2 or more candidates that are very close after the first set, and may bring in different people from other departments that the person would work with. In my case, the first interview was with an HR person, the hiring manager, and someone from Accounting. The second was without the Accounting person, but included someone from Finance and another from Maintenance. I have also seen second interviews with all of the same candidates due to something odd like the hiring manager quits, or moves to another department.
This seems like total lack of regard for the candidate's time. If I have to use paid time off to interview, I should be well aware from the very beginning of how much time I should expect to need to take off to satisfy the process.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 AM

96 posts, read 101,094 times
You can decline from moving forward, if you're not comfortable. Simple as that. If you were to decline, I recommend doing it diplomatically versus expressing disappointment.

For me, I would not have a problem. Things happen. People are overloaded and mutil tasking. Companies are dysfunctional and disorganized. It's your choice on how flexible you want to be. It sucks to have to use paid time off. That's the price you pay for looking for another job while actively employed.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:17 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Happened to me as well. Phone interview, face to face, then a second face to face with different people. Then I was hired, then asked to come in a 3rd time before starting work by my direct manager. That time should've been my red flag. There was absolutely no reason for me to come in, he had nothing planned to give me or tell me. That was an omen of the next two years working for this person.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post

I find this request alarming for a couple reasons.

1) Why was there not a definite, planned candidate search in place from the outset? Decisions such as requesting additional interviews should not be made "on the fly."

2) It demonstrates a severe degree of indecisiveness. If I met with three levels of management in my first interview, why was that not enough basis to make a candidate decision?

As a manager, if I am out of town, I do not mind if a candidate is interviewed, but I want final say. That means I, too, will want an in-person interview.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
This seems like total lack of regard for the candidate's time. If I have to use paid time off to interview, I should be well aware from the very beginning of how much time I should expect to need to take off to satisfy the process.
So tell them, "No thank you," and stay where you are.

I had a candidate just last week whine to me about this very thing, when she was the one who had submitted her resume to me.

I put her at the bottom of the pile; If she will whine about the hiring process, chances are she'll whine about a lot more.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
As a manager, if I am out of town, I do not mind if a candidate is interviewed, but I want final say. That means I, too, will want an in-person interview.
Then why would the interviewing process not take into consideration your availability, and proceed to schedule interviews accordingly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search