Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,453,059 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was just hoping to hear if anyone could share their experience in landing a job, or at least an interview, in a city that's not close to you. For example living in Charlotte and applying for jobs in Philly.

I live in SC, and it may be because I'm entry level, but I've been putting in applications outside of my region and if I do get a phone interview or inquiry, after the first 2 minutes it's "oh sorry, let me know when you move here."

You'd figure in my current field - comm/marketing/business/strategy, etc - that Skype interviews or at least phone interviews would be more common now, but it seems companies are strict on in-person first or in-person only, and I don't have the money to fly back and forth for one 20 minute in-person interview. If it's down to the wire I'd definitely try to find a way there, but initially it makes no sense.

It's very discouraging and I can't figure out what to do. I'm close to wanting to just quit. Not a fan of the "just move there then look" idea because of the potential issues. I'd prefer the security of already having a job.

So I'm just wondering what do others do/have done? I understand the whole "they want locals first", so is there any hope for me possibly landing a job out of South Carolina, or at least an initial interview without them getting turned off and saying "oh, well if you decide to buy a plane ticket and find a way to our office, let us know!"

It's frustrating and discouraging. I network and have connections, but it's still not bread and butter. I see a lot of "hi, relocating from Maryland to Colorado, can you help me", "hi I live in Arizona and just got a job in Tennessee, can you help me" posts, so I'm curious how everyone else is managing to do it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Hi, I was just hoping to hear if anyone could share their experience in landing a job, or at least an interview, in a city that's not close to you. For example living in Charlotte and applying for jobs in Philly.

I live in SC, and it may be because I'm entry level, but I've been putting in applications outside of my region and if I do get a phone interview or inquiry, after the first 2 minutes it's "oh sorry, let me know when you move here."

You'd figure in my current field - comm/marketing/business/strategy, etc - that Skype interviews or at least phone interviews would be more common now, but it seems companies are strict on in-person first or in-person only, and I don't have the money to fly back and forth for one 20 minute in-person interview. If it's down to the wire I'd definitely try to find a way there, but initially it makes no sense.

It's very discouraging and I can't figure out what to do. I'm close to wanting to just quit. Not a fan of the "just move there then look" idea because of the potential issues. I'd prefer the security of already having a job.

So I'm just wondering what do others do/have done? I understand the whole "they want locals first", so is there any hope for me possibly landing a job out of South Carolina, or at least an initial interview without them getting turned off and saying "oh, well if you decide to buy a plane ticket and find a way to our office, let us know!"

It's frustrating and discouraging. I network and have connections, but it's still not bread and butter. I see a lot of "hi, relocating from Maryland to Colorado, can you help me", "hi I live in Arizona and just got a job in Tennessee, can you help me" posts, so I'm curious how everyone else is managing to do it.

Thanks.
My husband worked for a small regional airline down in the southern states and when United Hired he applied and got hired. I think it helps if you have skills or know a trade where locals can't really compete with you.
Can you use a local address?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:54 PM

I'm sure I can find an address from someone I know, but that doesn't really help because when they call and say "can you come in tomorrow?", I can't. So I'd rather just be straight up from the beginning. Maybe that way they'd at least say "well how about we skype first?" or "well are you available for a call?"

I did stay with a cousin in Maryland so I could use her address - and my old Virginia one, but I also was able to physically drive around the DC area.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:06 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
In demand positions in certain fields will cast nationwide searches and offer to pay relocation, especially at senior levels. Entry level comm/marketing/business/strategy will have plenty of local candidates in any college town so you'd have to really stand out.

Likely better off landing a local job with a big company that has offices where you want to move to and then put in for a transfer.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
As a hiring manager I would not be likely to consider an out-of-state applicant very seriously based on past experience. In my current job I have hired about 10 people over the last 6 years. Of those 3 were in other states. The first had an appointment for interview, and we confirmed the day before. No show, no call or email. The other two cancelled. Most recently, just last Friday we set up a Skype interview, and at the scheduled time emailed the person to see if he was ready. He said that he had decided not to move here after all. It was not a problem since we had 18 local candidates, but wasted our time and added to our preference for local people.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Hi, I was just hoping to hear if anyone could share their experience in landing a job, or at least an interview,
in a city that's not close to you. For example living in Charlotte and applying for jobs in Philly.
You go to Philly.
Bring some high quality or very particular skill/knowledge with you.

Quote:
So I'm just wondering what do others do/have done?
They'll have gone to Philly and gotten some lesser job that will pay their way while they resume-ed and interview-ed
their way around town for the 6-9 months it took to get the better job they wanted.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Likely better off landing a local job with a big company that has offices where you want to move to and then put in for a transfer.
Unfortunately this is not the right area for my field. We don't have "big companies" around here in this sector. Everything is local to regional. I understand the idea though as I tried that almost a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a hiring manager I would not be likely to consider an out-of-state applicant very seriously based on past experience. [....]
Well that's discouraging as that's not me. Matter of fact that's happened to me where the HR either didn't appear, didn't call, waited last minute to change, etc. Guess you can't blame oos HR for feeling that way, but hopefully everyone doesn't have that mindset as most of us really are serious about relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You go to Philly.
Bring some high quality or very particular skill/knowledge with you.

They'll have gone to Philly and gotten some lesser job that will pay their way while they resume-ed and interview-ed
their way around town for the 6-9 months it took to get the better job they wanted.
I'm aware some people just pick up and move, but it is not as easy as it sounds. I never stated but I wouldn't be moving alone either. I'm sure many people were about to stay in their home state and land a good position, which I'm hoping to figure out.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:58 PM

I interned in DC after school then came home. My professor first told me to look and network in DC, then told me to look and network in Atlanta, and now is conceding and saying I should just stay home. So is there really any point in me looking or should I just give up and stay home?

Old 10-18-2017, 05:02 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
You basically have to lie and say you already live there OR write a cover letter saying you will pay for all travel and relocation expenses (I've done both) Honestly, I would just move there if you think you can find a job in 1-2 months. That's what I was considering.

If you only have internship experience, there is no way they would consider you not being local. But then if that is all the experience you have, chances are you don't make much anyways, so just move there and get some part time jobs while searching.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:08 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I never stated but I wouldn't be moving alone either.
You and one other?
Easier than with two kids in tow as well.
---

If you don't have the skill & experience to be recruited for that skill...
and you insist that you can't relocate without a job lined up first...
then you need to focus on gaining that recruitable skill.

That's the choice: get the skill where you are or where you want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search