Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:30 PM

408 posts, read 431,454 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your input everyone. The strange thing was getting a good offer just a couple days after that interview. Immediately after, I figured I'd either completely screwed up and had no chance, or that interviewer was just testing me -- seeing how I reacted -- and putting me in my place. So it seems like the latter. My first boss out of college was also somewhat blunt and harsh and while he was an effective leader in some ways, I never felt completely comfortable at work. The whole team, actually, always seemed to be kind of walking on egg shells, for fear of being one mistake away from getting berated in front of everybody. I never really thrived there and it'd be hard for me to work at a place like that again for long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 03:03 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
When a top guy is unprepared and rude, it just rolls downhill from there.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:34 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Don't look now, but I implied that in my response.
I know you did. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:39 PM

615 posts, read 666,489 times
So you decline an offer because he called you out for being unprepared and nervous and no other reason. I'm envious because I would like to be in a position to decline an offer for petty stuff. That guy is going to deliver messages right between the eyes. My kind of employer, because I like to give it right back. There is nothing wrong with being assertive.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:06 PM

30 posts, read 18,103 times
Actually, he likely wasn't going to read your resume anyway (that would take some time, and higher-ups have the attention span of a gnat - if it's not in Sparklines or bar chart form it might as well be written in heiroglyphics).

He was going to just glance over it, and then obnoxiously fixate on some random aspect of it and then he'd try to re-frame it as an error or blunder just to evoke a response or explanation.

This paradigm is the "S#!t-eater/Eating-s#!t" paradigm. Basically he wants to see you kowtow in a self-undermining way, i.e. if he says 2 + 2 is 5 and even if your position involves presenting numbers and insights to decisionmakers like him you're nonetheless supposed to agree with him. You dodged a bullet, though the paradigm I mention is really pervasive now, so you'll surely encounter more of it later.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
So you decline an offer because he called you out for being unprepared and nervous and no other reason. I'm envious because I would like to be in a position to decline an offer for petty stuff. That guy is going to deliver messages right between the eyes. My kind of employer, because I like to give it right back. There is nothing wrong with being assertive.
Perhaps you'd work well under his managerial style. Just goes to show we're all different.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
Actually, he likely wasn't going to read your resume anyway (that would take some time, and higher-ups have the attention span of a gnat - if it's not in Sparklines or bar chart form it might as well be written in heiroglyphics).

He was going to just glance over it, and then obnoxiously fixate on some random aspect of it and then he'd try to re-frame it as an error or blunder just to evoke a response or explanation.

This paradigm is the "S#!t-eater/Eating-s#!t" paradigm. Basically he wants to see you kowtow in a self-undermining way, i.e. if he says 2 + 2 is 5 and even if your position involves presenting numbers and insights to decisionmakers like him you're nonetheless supposed to agree with him. You dodged a bullet, though the paradigm I mention is really pervasive now, so you'll surely encounter more of it later.
Thanks, a week later zero regrets about turning down the offer. This was my first time applying for a corporate position. I've always worked at smaller companies in the past and I think that suits my personality more, I'm not all that competitive or aggressive in my career. It was a learning experience.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:25 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Extremely rude and unprofessional. Even if you didn't have an extra copy, he should have had one for the interview. And he was eating?! That's a sign to not work there.

You dodged a bullet.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:02 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What, did this guy go to the Steve Jobs School of Interviewing Prospective Employees? What a jerk
Nope, not a jerk. A jerk would tossed out the OP because a lack of resume and instead decided to take the time and make a job offer.

This might be why some people have trouble finding a job, they are looking for some Disney Land experience and a job where they just sit there and look pretty all day drinking coffee. The interviewer was giving useful advice, but the OP took it incorrectly as an insult.

I've never heard of showing up to an interview without a printed copy of your resume. That's just unprofessional and shows you don't think of contingencies.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:21 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Some of the best friendships can begin as awkward uncomfortable encounters in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search