Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,130 times

Advertisements

Here are a few things I found:

Seeking Employment with a Criminal Record

How to Get a Job with a Criminal Record - wikiHow

http://www.dcejc.org/app/docs/crim-rec-wash-post%5B1%5D.pdf (broken link)

Is Your Criminal Record Keeping You from Working?

How ex-offenders can find a job ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
I strongly despise Ads By Google......if i punch in what socks should i wear today, red or blue, it will say red or blue socks.com...................yikes! and have nothing whatsoever to do with my query...just a wasted click of time.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 PM

152 posts, read 627,365 times
You've been given lots of good advice here and hopefully you'll have some way to approach your interview situation.

What strikes me is that you still have your WHOLE LIFE ahead of you. What you did, you did as a child. Whether you knew it was wrong or not, you got your punishment and now you are trying to move on. Take every avenue given here and FIGHT for your future. It will be the difference between remaining a "convict" or moving into society.

What you should NOT do IMO is set any expectations other than that of getting SOME KIND of job. Rembember it may be cleaning toilets or scrubbing floors, or it just may be in the field that you are trained in. Your focus should be to build TRUST, RESPECT and GOOD REFERENCES and returning the same to all in the next 2-5 years. Then try moving on from there.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 AM

177 posts, read 706,274 times
Considering that some people have gotten successful off the internet, I would suggest looking for work online.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 37,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
You committed a crime, thus you must do the time. A felony is bad. I don't understand these criminals who committ all these crimes and then blame the system. Normal people go there entire lives not committing felonies, so it is a choice period. I dated an ex-con and there is a reason why they are called cons.
you are right it is a choice as far as what people do in their lives. I have been convicted of two felonies. 1 i openly admit to and the other i was left out to dry by my attorney. don't go saying you dont understand why people do this or don't do that because you don't know peoples thinkin process. you know what i find funny? when people who are such honest people are just as crooked as other people. saying that, i mean when people work for companies for years never having been convicted scam these companies that won't look past the past. my felony is 9 years old i did my time. i have not been in a lick of trouble since i was wrongfully convicted. know the circumstances before you go and stereotype people.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need $ View Post
I'm surprised this is still going.

I kind of got some bad news last week. It's likely that the amount of time I will be listed on the sex offender registry in my state will be increased from 10 years to 15-Life. The state legislature is considering changing the registration laws in my state to match the Federal "Adam Walsh Act". I believe this is in violation of the ex post facto clause in the constitution but the SCOTUS has ruled it isn't. Plus my employers address would be listed on my registry page. Bringing the employer into my hell can't be good for my job prospects.

I've served everyday of my sentence, paid all my fines, and far as I'm concerned repaid whatever "debt" I incurred with society by committing a crime, but they keep changing my penalties to "protect" people I just want an opportunity to use my skills to contribute to society.

I still think it's too early to judge wether I can't obtain meaningfull employment, I haven't even finished my degree yet, and the economy is bad so I think if I'm not employed by graduation in may I won't consider it to be impossible for me to find a job. I haven't heard "no we won't hire you cause your a sex offender yet", but I've only had 3 interviews, and I'm still working on my interviewing skills.
It's very sad. You're right the economy is so screwed up you cant tell if it was you or not. You sound like a sincere communicator though and I'm sure you'll find a way with your skills.

Yes, in PA your work address is public on the sex offender site. When you google an address, all the offenders working there come up.

1. Here's a stupid idea that may work. Those guys have jobs why not you?
Google places that show the offender's work location then find out what companies they are and apply to them or similar ones.

2. Another thing is state and federal funding.

They give incentives and tax credits to private companies to hire ex felons and other targeted groups. FIND OUT WHO THEY ARE.

3. IN NJ they PAY ex felons money to go to college and start businesses through the voc rehab dept.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING EVERY DIME YOU CAN GET AND IF YOU CAN GET MONEY TO START A BUSINESS, DO IT.

Realizing your skills lag behind it's better to do school for now than a business most businesses fail so you'd have a challenge BUT if you could find an existing business you can partner or learn from them.

MY EX WAS A FELON. Manslaughter. He killed his fiance riding on his motorcycle. FLORIDA, YES A FELON. Because it was the 1980's and they were using coke.

Anyway, he did 5 years and when he got out and went back to NJ he got his entire undergraduate degree paid for, got his picture framing business paid for and big bucks including a print press....THEN he sued them for graduate school because "he didn't reach his potential" (HAHAH) and they PAID IT TOO.

Meanwhile find a girl you like to live with so you arent starving while getting your act together. This is how you will have to get by for awhile. I know. Unless you have good family support.

Not to add to your misery but see if you have to pay your state back for your incarceration or any of this public funding. This may prevent you from being a property owner and you may have to plan life a bit differently.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-09-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 36,852 times
Default are you from Greenville

The dude who posted in 08 with engineering degree who was a convicted felon, if you are from greenville, you need to know this. The county has hired a convicted felon to work as a 911 operator. Maybe you need to bring that out in the open.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:05 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Need $ View Post
I need some advice on how to handle the fact that I am a convicted felon in search of a job.
Seven Years ago (I'm 24 Now) I was charged with a sexual crime. I was 17 years old, the person the crime was commited against was a 13 years old relative (female). For lack of a better description the "victim" was a willing participant in my crime. Since this crime was classified as a forcible felony, even though I was a minor, I was charged in Adult Court. My case could have been moved to Juvenille Court, however I didn't have a lawyer willing to put in the time to do this, so my case stayed in Adult Court.
My plea agreement was I would be allowed to plead guilty to a lesser charge if I completed a sex offender treatment program. It took 2.5 years, but I finished it, and was allowed to plead to a lesser charge. I was granted a deferred judgment with two years of probation. This meant that my conviction would be expunged from my record if I were to complete probation. A few months before I was to complete my probation, my probation officer filed a report of violation alleging I had tried to manipulate a polygraph examination that was given to me. I didn't do this. I was arrested. I hired a lawyer to fight the violation, and after I raised challeges to the violation in court the state filed another report of violation alleging I did not do well in their treatment program. (2 years after they said I recieved max. benifits from the program and gave me my plea deal) I had my day in Court, and the judge found me guilty on both violations, revoked my probation and sentenced me to prison.
I appealed, and in it's decison the Appeals Court threw out the violation relating to the polygraph, but upheld the violation in reguard not to doing well in treatment. They remanded my case back to the lower court to determine if my probation should be revoked, just based on the one violation. I was sent to prison. I did about 2 years.
I'm out now. I'm not on any probation or parole. Aside from 3 speeding tickets (7+ years old), 1 seatbelt infraction (5 years old), and too many parking tickets (ongoing) this is the only crime I have commited.

Along the way when I was on probation prior to prison I started to go to school to study engineering, and when I got out I went back to finish. In May I will graduate from a reputable state university with BS in Mechanical Engineering. I need a permenent FT job after I graduate. I'm starting my job search now, and need advice on how to approch the whole felony/prison thing with potential employers. I've had two interviews so far, and I fell on my ass.

Since prison is most of what I've done for the past two years, and they would find out eventually with Background Checks and so on, I've made this a major topic in the interview. I did a lot good stuff in prison (lossing 100 lbs, helping other inmates ect.), and am really motivated to be sucessful now that I'm out, but whats the best way to approch this in an interview. Basicly I try to minimize the crime by explaining I was a juvenille at the time I broke the law, and was up against a merciless justice system. And that I really matured through the whole situation

They types of jobs I'm trying to get would be designing manufacturing processes, or designing actual products. I have a couple years experience working in Factory type settings, just as a laborer though. I worked no internships in my field because I was on probation, and wasn't allowed to live, or work out of my county, and thats where most of these internships were located. I almost snagged one in county, but my probation officer messed that up for me by asking my probation to be revoked after they offered me it. I had an "in" there, sort of, because it was one of the plants I worked at as a laborer. This summer I worked for a family member on his farm. I currently work in a bakery PT. My GPA is above average for my major. I have one good reference(farmer). The correctional counselor at the prison thinks highly of me, would it be appropriate to list him (after asking of course). I'm nervous about putting anything prison related on my reseme.

I've gotten advice from someone in managment at a larger company to focus on smaller compainies. They'd be more understanding is what he told me. He said Human Resources would never clear me at his place.

I'd join the military in a second, but after talking to a recruiter he told me I couldn't because of the sex offender tag, even with the engineering degree, so thats out.

In short, I need advice on how to approch the topic of being a felon in the interview, and whether or not to list my correctional counselor as a reference.

Thank You in Advance For Any Help.
Never, never, never paint yourself as the victim of a cruel justice system in a job interview. You might as well be wearing a sandwich board that says "I CAN'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY OWN ACTIONS." Nobody wants an employee like that. Admit what you did and say what you learned from it, and move on.

I suggest you post your resume at hard2hire.org, which is tailor-made for people with prison histories who are looking for jobs.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 31,956 times
Hello all,Thank you for all of your informative contributions. I am a convicted felon of manslaughter (falsely, does not matter now) from 19 years ago. I have my B.S. and M.S. from a University that later went on to hire me as an Adjunct Professor. When my background investigation was returned they terminated me without being able to explain mitigating reasons as their policy states. Is anyone aware of someone who has been hired at Drexel University with a felony conviction?

Old 07-03-2009, 01:58 AM

70 posts, read 120,018 times
Be your own boss. You never have too answer that question, "are you a felon?". I have several violent felonies from years ago and make money off Internet advertising and selling stuff online. I also sell produce and eggs on the side of the highway and collect SSDI benefits. I am however registered with the Montana Dept of Justice website until 2016. it's ten years for violent offender, but lifetime and they post your picture up for sex offenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search