Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's because of hearing for so many years that if you go to college you have a job waiting for you after graduation.
That much is perfectly true. It turns out that college doesn't prepare you as much for the real world as its reputation hints. I went to Rutgers and actually majored in journalism--which meant virtually nothing when I got out of school and started looking for jobs in that field. (I've since abandoned the private sector and am much happier, thank you very much). But the Catch-22 part of the deal is that you're working from a huge disadvantage if you don't have that piece of paper to show prospective employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That much is perfectly true. It turns out that college doesn't prepare you as much for the real world as its reputation hints. I went to Rutgers and actually majored in journalism--which meant virtually nothing when I got out of school and started looking for jobs in that field. (I've since abandoned the private sector and am much happier, thank you very much). But the Catch-22 part of the deal is that you're working from a huge disadvantage if you don't have that piece of paper to show prospective employers.

I know, You get that piece a paper to show prospective employers but can't get a conversation with them because of littl experience, but if don't have that piece of paper then you are still unable to have a conversation with an employer-lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think college helps you to hand a job when you graduate, but by no means is it a guarantee that you will get a job. I think what your major is and that job market that you want to start a career in will also play a factor in your success of finding a job. I went to SJU and I pretty much knew I wanted to enter Finance. I never did any internships and the only finance experiece I had was working a summer job in a brokerage firm, but I started looking for a job early, almost immediately after my senior year started. I started interviewing by the time my second semester started and I was lucky enough to land a job offer in March, about 2 months before I graduated. It's a relaxed feeling to know you don't have to compete with everyone else who is graduating and you can start right away. Many of my friends who did this also had offers waiting when they graduated. Those who waited until they graduated, didnt find a job until months later.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I think college helps you to hand a job when you graduate, but by no means is it a guarantee that you will get a job. I think what your major is and that job market that you want to start a career in will also play a factor in your success of finding a job. I went to SJU and I pretty much knew I wanted to enter Finance. I never did any internships and the only finance experiece I had was working a summer job in a brokerage firm, but I started looking for a job early, almost immediately after my senior year started. I started interviewing by the time my second semester started and I was lucky enough to land a job offer in March, about 2 months before I graduated. It's a relaxed feeling to know you don't have to compete with everyone else who is graduating and you can start right away. Many of my friends who did this also had offers waiting when they graduated. Those who waited until they graduated, didnt find a job until months later.

I graduated in May and didn't start working until September. I was living off graduation money-lol

Old 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Congrats again, TVandSportsGuy. It's great to read a sucess story and I hope there are more on this forum to follow!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 PM

304 posts, read 1,433,962 times

Old 05-20-2009, 06:36 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
Quote:
Yeah I still plan to post on here even though I was hired.

BTW: i'm so in shock that I have read the offer letter about 9 times-lol
Too funny! Congratulations! Now start repeating all the good advice we gave you here!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM

84 posts, read 189,548 times
Congrats! You know I never have doubts you won't find work.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralegal3 View Post
Congrats! You know I never have doubts you won't find work.
I received another job offer today while I was at my new job-lol Of course I wil turn them down

Old 05-27-2009, 06:16 PM

84 posts, read 189,548 times
Quote:
I received another job offer today while I was at my new job-lol Of course I wil turn them down
Are you serious?? Whoo hoo. They know you got the skills. Don't forget to thank the person for the job offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search