Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
This story is probably more accurately "Manpower: Employers struggling to find qualified job candidates who will work for $10/hr or less.."

Exactly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
How is the United States any different? Why would someone hire you if you quit a large cooperate job at say IBM or Intel? Maybe a small business but i doubt anther cooperation would look at you.

High salaries are nice, but don't mean anything to me when working for someone else. Minimum wage or $7 an hour is a ridiculous statement for people that put blood and sweat into their degree, while they work 40 hours a week to get through the month. Why would i spend thousands of dollars into a degree to earn $7 after graduation? Which would barely afford rent with roommates and default my student loans. There isnt enough time or energy to do anything but work, school, sleep. Show me the time for an internship with that schedule?

Then your asking "why did you get student loans if you worked 40 hours a week?" Rent, food, eletricity, gasoline, ect. all cost money. The point of student loans is for tuition and books. nothing else.

That is why i dont understand the mentality. I guess everyone is throw away now of days and nothing means anything anymore.

I work at IBM...I'm a contractor worker
Most of the IMB employees are contract workers
I do like my job...but IBM is known for hiring contractors so they dont have to pay liveable wages
The only reason I took this job here because it looks good on my resume
People who are regular IBM employees are getting let go so they can bring in contract workers and pay them less
Ive been here 2 years and gotten 2 paycuts
When I find a better job I will quit in a heartbeat

Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
I work at IBM...I'm a contractor worker
Most of the IMB employees are contract workers
I do like my job...but IBM is known for hiring contractors so they dont have to pay liveable wages
The only reason I took this job here because it looks good on my resume
People who are regular IBM employees are getting let go so they can bring in contract workers and pay them less
Ive been here 2 years and gotten 2 paycuts
When I find a better job I will quit in a heartbeat
In my neck of the woods-IBM used to stand for Itsy Bitsy Morons(course that was from the other side of town from Texaco. ) IBM has done some very shady things around here-it hurt our economy badly in 92 when out of the blue 11,000 were wiped from the payrolls. I've got a friend working there now-gone as of the 31st of this month as part of another lay off.

Manpower-they are a joke. Either that or I got the worst bimbo on the face of this earth when I tried to get temp work from them. When asked what my last job was-it was a school bus driver-woman told me "well bring in your GED certificate to the interview". Really?Are they that stupid with the people they staff their offices with? I told her-I don't have a GED-but I do have a college degree, will that work for you? Went in there for the interview-she says she's got a wonderful job for me-one that'll pay $9hr with medical benefits. I turned her down. I told her I couldn't afford to work for that little-heck our school and land taxes are now over $5700 a year-let alone pay for the rest of our expenses. She wanted to know what I would accept-I told her a "real" living wage. I need to make $25K or better. They seem to only get low paying employers through there-I haven't been holding my breath to get anything through them at all.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 PM

247 posts, read 751,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
In my neck of the woods-IBM used to stand for Itsy Bitsy Morons(course that was from the other side of town from Texaco. ) IBM has done some very shady things around here-it hurt our economy badly in 92 when out of the blue 11,000 were wiped from the payrolls. I've got a friend working there now-gone as of the 31st of this month as part of another lay off.

Manpower-they are a joke. Either that or I got the worst bimbo on the face of this earth when I tried to get temp work from them. When asked what my last job was-it was a school bus driver-woman told me "well bring in your GED certificate to the interview". Really?Are they that stupid with the people they staff their offices with? I told her-I don't have a GED-but I do have a college degree, will that work for you? Went in there for the interview-she says she's got a wonderful job for me-one that'll pay $9hr with medical benefits. I turned her down. I told her I couldn't afford to work for that little-heck our school and land taxes are now over $5700 a year-let alone pay for the rest of our expenses. She wanted to know what I would accept-I told her a "real" living wage. I need to make $25K or better. They seem to only get low paying employers through there-I haven't been holding my breath to get anything through them at all.
When I was unemployed a couple years ago, I had a temp agency send me to a business for an interview. $10/hr pay in a loan dept. The interviewer told me that I probably couldn't handle the job because "people who've spent most of their time in school don't know real stress---so you're not ready."

After working in the 'real' world since then, I cannot even imagine how they think this **** is more difficult than getting a Master's degree with a 4.0. Forgive me for laughing!

Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
They seem to only get low paying employers through there-I haven't been holding my breath to get anything through them at all.
Most of the larger chain agencies are low-balling bottom feeders. I don't even bother with Manpower, Aerotek, Kelly etc. I think it is not so much the companies are that cheap but that they are giving you about 1/2 your paycheck and keeping the rest for themselves.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I just ended a job posting, open almost two weeks. Of the 40+ applicants only 3 met the minimum qualifications as stated in the announcement. Another 3 had at least some experience, though not enough, the rest
had none at all. I think the problem is the lack of qualified candidates when you are looking for experience. The good ones already have a job. Most entry level jobs are not paying $30/hour to start with full benefits, even for a recent graduate with a 4.0 grade average.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

You are only worth what someone is willing to pay and they are only willing to pay that when you can demonstrate you have the ability to make the company more money than you cost.
This single sentence needs to be broadcast on an endless loop tape in every college in the country.

This is a harsh truth: Your interview for any position usually has nothing to do with you. That's it.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I just ended a job posting, open almost two weeks. Of the 40+ applicants only 3 met the minimum qualifications as stated in the announcement. Another 3 had at least some experience, though not enough, the rest
had none at all. I think the problem is the lack of qualified candidates when you are looking for experience. The good ones already have a job. Most entry level jobs are not paying $30/hour to start with full benefits, even for a recent graduate with a 4.0 grade average.
Companies that refuse to hire and develop less experienced employees have no right to complain about a lack of experienced employees. It seems that too many American companies are using parasitism as a business model for their workforce recruitment. Of course that can't go on forever and will create a shortage of experienced employees.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I just ended a job posting, open almost two weeks. Of the 40+ applicants only 3 met the minimum qualifications as stated in the announcement. Another 3 had at least some experience, though not enough, the rest had none at all. I think the problem is the lack of qualified candidates when you are looking for experience. The good ones already have a job. Most entry level jobs are not paying $30/hour to start with full benefits, even for a recent graduate with a 4.0 grade average.
I just ran across this job posting and so far it appears 40 people have applied

Quote:
Total applied: 40
Relevant Work Experience: 5+ to 7 Years
Career Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Education Level: Certification
Job Type: Employee
Job Status: Full Time
Job Shift: First Shift (Day)
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma or GED Certificate NICET Level III certification in Fire Sprinkler System Layout Proficient in all basic computer skills Thorough working knowledge of NFPA Proficient in hydraulic calculations Must have valid Driver’s License and good driving record

PREFERRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS5 years experience in the fire sprinkler design industry Working knowledge of AutoCad and/or SprinkCad, hydraulic calculations, stocklisting, technical products and computer skills Excellent written and oral communication skills

Only applicants that possess the basic qualifications will be considered. Candidates may be required to successfully complete an employment background investigation and drug screening. Compensation based on experience.

Only NICET Level III or Level IV need apply.
Probably not a bad job it most likely pays between $45 and $60k which comes with a pretty good benefit package. Three years ago starting wages would have been between $55 and $70k but wages have declined for new hires.

For the first time in our industry's history we are suffering unemployment right now with a rate of maybe 5% tops. Checking the registry there are 116 Level III and 48 Level IV certificate holders in the state for a total of 164 people who meet minimum requirements.

I doubt the unemployment rate in this group is 2% but even if it were 10% there would be only 16 qualified people but 40 applied? I know what the company needs the certificate holder for and even if you had an engineering degree from MIT but without the certificate there's not a ghost of a chance of being hired yet apparently people still try?

Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Finding a combination of fit, energy, availability and credentials is very difficult even in today's economy. The large company I work for in the Washington DC area is always re advertising job openings because we can not find the right person.
Maybe they need to re-think the job requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search