Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM

173 posts, read 968,066 times

Advertisements

My most current, though past superior, will only verify information, company policy, and that is if you can reach him.
I do have a superior who will give me a great reference. But he told me a prospective employer, this was earlier this year, didn't like that fact that he was 2 companies removed, from our last professional relationship.

I can't contact or even locate the rest.

How do you manage your references?

It does seem logical that when you leave a company, you will not have contact with the employers. Unless you are very good friends, and even that becomes highly suspect and prejudicial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
I'm still in regular contact with my direct supervisor at three of my last four positions. I don't consider any of them "very good friends" but we are friendly. I guess it depends on why or how you left the job? Also two of the three were with small companies, I think people tend to get and remain closer when working for a small business.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
My most current, though past superior, will only verify information, company policy, and that is if you can reach him.
I do have a superior who will give me a great reference. But he told me a prospective employer, this was earlier this year, didn't like that fact that he was 2 companies removed, from our last professional relationship.

I can't contact or even locate the rest.

How do you manage your references?

It does seem logical that when you leave a company, you will not have contact with the employers. Unless you are very good friends, and even that becomes highly suspect and prejudicial.

Making sure I have a Manager as a reference from each job that is on my resume.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 PM

34 posts, read 115,984 times
Before I leave any job I always make sure to secure some good references. I only contact those people who I know will give great references. I collect their business cards and personal phone #'s and personal email addresses in case they leave the company I could still reach them.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
I used to keep in close contact with my references. In the last 2 years their companies have gone under or they have been laid off/retired or foreclosed on. I have only been able to locate 1 former supervisor and I left her company in 2000. I used to have personal numbers for 2 of them, but they have moved and I lost them.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM

After I leave I keep in touch with former coworkers primarily through their home or cell numbers and personal e-mails, that way if they leave their job or the company closes I still know how to reach them.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:32 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
Since I was in Real Estate my last law firm went under. But I do have references from Lawyers I have worked with.

I also have letters of recommendation from many of my past jobs as I was a contract worker so who knows who is in those positions now.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twit View Post
Before I leave any job I always make sure to secure some good references. I only contact those people who I know will give great references. I collect their business cards and personal phone #'s and personal email addresses in case they leave the company I could still reach them.
that is a good idea and I never thought of that cause that would make sense if they do leave the company wow kuddos to you for that ,

Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 PM

943 posts, read 3,159,672 times
Default From a Recruiter:

Generally the best candidates are the ones who stay in touch with old bosses and have lots of senior people who can speak about their skills and talents. If they are really good then people will be ready to tell everyone who asks, if they are so so, then they are unlikely unemployable in today's terrible economy in a good job.

Another tip regarding references is to have a professionally written list of references with a paragraph describing your relationship with each person. Describe where you have worked together and a couple of things that you did together. This helps promote you as a candidate and makes it easier on the HR person or hiring manager who calls the references.

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 06-25-2009 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM

A paragraph? That's absurd. A single sentence is more than enough--when it's not self-explanatory. I don't know any HR people who want to read your autobiography in order to call references.

Let's say your a new college graduate and you have three references. One is the owner of the ice cream parlor you worked at over the summer for four year. You've already got "Sprinkles Ice Cream" on your resume, when you put "John Smith, Owner, Sprinkles Ice Cream" on your references, anyone who can't figure out the relationship shouldn't be calling references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search