Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times

Advertisements

So experience doesn't matter? I really want to get out of this crummy job. I have been in manufacturing for 30 years, all phases. It's amazing how these young people come in and can't be self-starters, they don't know how to research and play and figure out the system without someone holding their hand. I don't know why someone would pick someone 25 over me, but they do and it's scarry for me to think, this could be it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
They will hire you but only if you want to work for the same amount of money. It's all about the numbers - beancounters rule. Quality doesn't mean jack squat anymore.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I work in Human Resources and know the hiring process well. I work for a highly respected Fortune 500 Company, but have hired people for a variety of places.

The answer is it is really hard to find a job if you are over 50 unless you are an executive. If you are on a senior management track, it is possible to find a job but if you are looking for lower level or mid career positions it is really hard out there because most employers want someone younger and fresher. It is all done silently and no one in a position of responsibility would ever admit they are discriminating based on age but rarely do not I see anyone over 50 hired.

Of course you realize many of us gray beards are now waiting expectantly for advice on how to beat these age bigots at their own game?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Old age and treachery win out against youth and skill... didn't you ever hear that one. My advice is to forget about the big companies. The little small businesses really appreciate and need the good help. No room and budget for slackers there.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
Default Dying your grey hair brown does not work anymore...

I had a frustrated job hunter tell me that he had spent a year in Plastic Surgery and had dyed his grey hair brown so he could look young. He had also gone on a exercise routine and learned to walk and carry himself like a young man again. He was 55 and thought he could look and act 45.

His plan was brilliant until companies started to require all applicants who interviewed for a job fill out a background investigation form that asked for your graduation date from high school and your date of birth. I see many supervisors act really curious about how old someone is. Again, it is all done very quietly.

Also, many employers do not like older workers because they are more likely to have medical issues and will jack up health and dental insurance costs.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
gardener34 - even if you were saying this in jest, you are so right. We have our own business and we have some insane days and some slow days, but certainly never dull days. And, we've had more than our share of weeks where we don't pay ourselves because the employees come first.

We do a lot of work for several fortune 500 companies - one is a major telecommunications company who is laying off workers again. Many are looking at us wondering what it was that we did right/wrong and envy us because they are up to their eyeballs working for a large company.

It isn't necessarily greener on the other side, and you work so very hard for what you do get - but you do have a modicum of control. Having said this, I believe you should trying striking it out on your own. Industry isn't going to change no matter age discrimination laws - age discrimination is rampent in this country.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Yes, I have been a freelance graphic designer on and off between jobs for years. I have worked for small firms and mega large uber corporations. So I have seen both sides of that fence.
I do know it is hard and I am definitely competing with the 20 somethings now that I am 40-something.
Esp. in the 2002-2003 chicago area downturn after 9-11. Companies were hemorrhaging jobs. The anderson accounting scandal took out a lot of employment and lucent was laying off in droves. Both local here.
Took me a year and a half to find a job. What was happening is there was a "sellers" market if you will. And employers could afford to be ultra ultra choosy. People with 20+ years experience were bagging groceries. And many of the companies I continually contacted went out of business during that time. It was ugly.
Market is better now, after 23 years in this business I had never seen it that bad and hope it never happens again.
Good luck!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM

6 posts, read 16,956 times
Default It can be done!

I have recently down, or at least sideways shifted. It takes some work, if you are looking at the same industry or require the big bucks then you are going to struggle. Think of changing direction or think about the self-employed area.

I have gone from 3rd level computer support (major Chemical Company) to Hotel Receptionist, and soon I hope the Postal Service. The Hotel work is great but they are in such a mess that I am in danger of telling them how to do it. I received no training and got dumped into it big time. Great to be working with people again though.

The biggest issue companies have about hiring older people, and I don't believe the medical argument holds that much water, youngsters today can have just as many issues because of environment and diet. When did you last see an older worker arrive a half hour late? The youngsters do not always have the same work ethic, and are more likely to move on once they get the training from the company so there is a greater investment required by the company that they do not have with an older worker.

As has been said here, use your experience to branch out on your own. The majors will hire if they think they are paying a consultant rather than a mere employee. You can then charge 3 times the rate they'd pay a worker

Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I don't know if this issue of finding and gaining employment after 50 is difficult is as true as some have stated. I hear more about folks being under- or over-qualified, but not that they are out of the running because of their age.

But, I am probably biased as I worked (past tense) in academics and public health, and old often meant "ripe," and savoury! And, not stall!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM

TRUE.
This is something that recently happened to a co-worker of DH: His fellow co-worker got laid off. Not 3 months later, the same company that laid him off hired him as a consultant on a freelance basis. His hourly rate is very large. And they have been having him consult for the last 3 years.
He is making much more $$ than he did actually working for the company.
He definitely had the last laugh there. I can't believe the corporation would rather pay $$ to this former employee than keep him around. My thoughts are that this person can now be written off, he is not on the corporate books, and he does not suck up benefits. So that is why they like to hire these consultants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search