Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:58 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I was one of the ones who went back to school and changed careers for the new workforce! Well, a lot of people had the same idea I did, because the field I picked went from begging for people to now, you can't get a job. There are temp jobs, not necessarily going to perm, but employers are trying people out and if they don't like your haircolor, next!
I agree with you, one can only spend so much money on constantly retraining for the economy and after awhile, one has to earn a living. Being in school for 3-4 years can really set you back financially, and I'm not just talking about the student loan.
Schools make it sound so exciting, oh boy, and I am someone who loves to learn, but I had no life when I was in school.
For the time, work, effort, and money I put into it, it hasn't paid off. I know for some it has. But we need jobs out there, and all the educations in the world aren't going to get us jobs, no matter how much we retrain, if there are no jobs to go to.
I agree that it is critical to do a lot of homework before you go back to school to make sure it's going to pay off.

This is one of the reasons I went into nursing. I too was worried about the labor supply being flooded but, as it turned out, the demand for positions is growing so much it's virtually impossible for the workforce supply to keep up, even with increasing numbers of people going into the profession.

I also tried to take into account regional differences. For example, I discovered it is better to be a nurse in California than, in Texas, for example. It definitely wouldn't have worked out as well if I was living in Texas or other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Work after 50

Being self employed, I hope I do not have to work for anyone else again. I know trying to find a job after 40, 50 is hard. However, having kids today - I have kept up with the technology - Blackberry, yes, Power Point, oh yes, easy! - I actually LOVE, LOVE the computer myself! (can't you tell???)

Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I've had people tell me it's real hard to find work after 50 is this true? What would be the reason if this is true?

John

It's only true if you believe it. If you believe it and take it to heart, then you won't find work so easily. If you go out there and pretend that you've never heard this in your life, you'll find work much quicker. Is there age discrimination, yes. There is also weight discrimination, racial discrimination, gender discrimination, etc. It's a wonder that anyone is employed, right? Don't listen to naysayers. However long it takes, it takes. The only person you can control is yourself. Be positive, smile, and don't hang around the turkeys. Wishing you the best.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's all well and good for people to 'suggest' you go back to school and get training in something else but for those of us who ARE well educated and spent thousands of dollars on BA/BS and MS/MAs or PHDs. it's not viable.

I feel like I put in my dues when it comes to my education. I also CANNOT afford more training to change careers. The only thing I would pay for, once I got an income, would be possible training in Excel or other computer programs I am not very fluent in.

I also agree with the problems of being highly educated and getting employed. If you have a Masters you can't just go to Dunkin' Donuts and say 'hire me' because chances are they are going to think you are wasting their time and just buying time (which I would be) till I found something better.

My only other option is PAY MORE money again and try to get certified to teach in this state and the next border state...it's a matter of a few hundred dollars I DO NOT have right now..

So, it's not just the 50 somethings having trouble..I'm a SAHM who has been out of the job market 10 years. Once I was finally able to go back to work full time--November--all the jobs seemed to 'dry up.' I only want to work 30 hours max and don't need benefits..

Gypsy Soul, I hear you. The standard response (not that I blame anyone) is to get more education, more training. I agree that this is one component of the entire equation. In theory, the more education and the more experience one has, the more valuable of an asset one is to a future employer (or current) employer. I've found that it's half the equation, not all of it. This seems to be a real phenomenon in the U.S. currently; there seem to be a lot of highly educated people who don't seem to have a heck of a lot of opportunities for good jobs. On the other hand, if you truly want a job at Dunkin Donuts, then don't put down on your application that you have a Master's degree. You will not need high-level CIA clearance in order to work there. To an employer, you're either overqualified or underqualified, so you have to revise your resume to fit the job you're applying for. The bottom line to (overqualified or underqualified) is $$$.

For me (as well as the lady above), I work for myself. I also am highly educated, but my common sense won out over my education and I found out that I can create my own opportunities, work environment, etc., by being self-employed. It took a long time to get to this point. I realize that not everyone wants to be self-employed. For those that don't, then you're (in general), going to be playing by the rules of your employer and playing the game to get to that employment status.

I sincerely wish you well in whatever direction you pursue; whether to find employment with your current credentials or get certified in teaching. Take care.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
My husband should be reading this. He lost his high paying executive job in 2002. For more than a year, he would refuse to consider anything less than what he had, and the economy had tanked, he was in his mid-40's and it just wasn't happening. We got futher and futher behind, taking out a second on the house and running up credit card debt. After a year and a half, he was finally convinced (more like nagged, wheedled, etc.) to take some carpentry jobs to make some extra money. A friend of his, also looking for a job was the one who convinced him as he was doing the same.

He did this for a while with the friend and they were moderately successful. But then the friend got a job in a different profession and yes, he traded off salary in order to take the job. My husband wouldn't consider it. And then, without his partner, his enthusiasm for what he was doing dried up and he started to complain bitterly. I tried to bring in as much as possible but we were drowning in debt. We wound up filing for bankruptcy and eventually selling our house to avoid foreclosure.

Last year he got a job offer but he's complained constantly since he got the job. The company is rinky-dink, he says. He makes about 75% of what he was making at his last corporate job and he complains he is underpaid. He has projected all his unhappiness on to where we live and thinks a geographical move will fix our problems. I'm not opposed to a move but I've seen this movie before with him and want to make sure we do it for the right reasons.

He sent a resume out the other day and got an immediate call back. He had seen this ad about 4 weeks ago but was tying himself up in knots trying to deliver the "perfect" letter (this happens often and he misses opportunities). His timing was perfect. They had hundreds of responses to this ad, culled it down to a few and were getting ready to extend an offer but really liked the looks of his resume and want to move forward with the interview process.

The last thing he said to me was that the salary range ($20-30K more than he makes now) was still not "executive level" enough for him. When I told him it was in a cheaper-to-live area of the country and with the number of responses they got, he might not have any negotiating choice, he got mad at me.

I give up. Yes, he faces age discrimination but he's also his own worst enemy!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:00 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I had a frustrated job hunter tell me that he had spent a year in Plastic Surgery and had dyed his grey hair brown so he could look young. He had also gone on a exercise routine and learned to walk and carry himself like a young man again. He was 55 and thought he could look and act 45.

His plan was brilliant until companies started to require all applicants who interviewed for a job fill out a background investigation form that asked for your graduation date from high school and your date of birth. I see many supervisors act really curious about how old someone is. Again, it is all done very quietly.

Also, many employers do not like older workers because they are more likely to have medical issues and will jack up health and dental insurance costs.

Yes, so it is about money. I won't paint all younger people with one paintbrush, nor will I paint all older ones with one, but how are you finding qualified, experienced people if you don't want to hire anyone over 35?
Just remember, what goes around comes around. The people who are doing this discriminating will find themselves older before they know it, and will find out what it is like to have spent a lifetime learning a profession and not being able to find work.
Younger women are more apt to have babies, so I wonder if they want to discriminate against them? No pregnancy riders?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
My husband should be reading this. He lost his high paying executive job in 2002. For more than a year, he would refuse to consider anything less than what he had, and the economy had tanked, he was in his mid-40's and it just wasn't happening. We got futher and futher behind, taking out a second on the house and running up credit card debt. After a year and a half, he was finally convinced (more like nagged, wheedled, etc.) to take some carpentry jobs to make some extra money. A friend of his, also looking for a job was the one who convinced him as he was doing the same.

He did this for a while with the friend and they were moderately successful. But then the friend got a job in a different profession and yes, he traded off salary in order to take the job. My husband wouldn't consider it. And then, without his partner, his enthusiasm for what he was doing dried up and he started to complain bitterly. I tried to bring in as much as possible but we were drowning in debt. We wound up filing for bankruptcy and eventually selling our house to avoid foreclosure.

Last year he got a job offer but he's complained constantly since he got the job. The company is rinky-dink, he says. He makes about 75% of what he was making at his last corporate job and he complains he is underpaid. He has projected all his unhappiness on to where we live and thinks a geographical move will fix our problems. I'm not opposed to a move but I've seen this movie before with him and want to make sure we do it for the right reasons.

He sent a resume out the other day and got an immediate call back. He had seen this ad about 4 weeks ago but was tying himself up in knots trying to deliver the "perfect" letter (this happens often and he misses opportunities). His timing was perfect. They had hundreds of responses to this ad, culled it down to a few and were getting ready to extend an offer but really liked the looks of his resume and want to move forward with the interview process.

The last thing he said to me was that the salary range ($20-30K more than he makes now) was still not "executive level" enough for him. When I told him it was in a cheaper-to-live area of the country and with the number of responses they got, he might not have any negotiating choice, he got mad at me.

I give up. Yes, he faces age discrimination but he's also his own worst enemy!

I can understand him wanting to be compensated accordingly. And bravo to him...because if people keep settling for lower wages, the wages are going to go lower and lower. That is what this is all about, undercutting people.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I agree that it is critical to do a lot of homework before you go back to school to make sure it's going to pay off.

This is one of the reasons I went into nursing. I too was worried about the labor supply being flooded but, as it turned out, the demand for positions is growing so much it's virtually impossible for the workforce supply to keep up, even with increasing numbers of people going into the profession.

I also tried to take into account regional differences. For example, I discovered it is better to be a nurse in California than, in Texas, for example. It definitely wouldn't have worked out as well if I was living in Texas or other states.
Schools are trying to fill up nursing too. Hospitals don't like paying hundreds of nurses all that high pay. There are schools with night and Saturday programs, and they are doing everything they can to help the hospitals fill up the vacancies.
I believe it will fill up, because employers don't like having to pay such high wages to attract nurses. That has happened in a lot of other areas of medicine. Where there were openings with vacations and bonuses to lure people on, now, there is nothing. Virtually nothing.
If nurses were smart, they'd keep their numbers on the lean side.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Yes, so it is about money. I won't paint all younger people with one paintbrush, nor will I paint all older ones with one, but how are you finding qualified, experienced people if you don't want to hire anyone over 35?
Just remember, what goes around comes around. The people who are doing this discriminating will find themselves older before they know it, and will find out what it is like to have spent a lifetime learning a profession and not being able to find work.
Younger women are more apt to have babies, so I wonder if they want to discriminate against them? No pregnancy riders?
Hi there, Nebulous! Hope that you're doing well. Now we come to find that 35 is over the hill? Great, first you're an old geezer if you're pregnant and give birth at 35+, now we come to find out that 35+ also means that you're unemployable. Isn't it nice how people make up all kinds of rules that affect all of us? The good thing to do is to ignore the rules and play by our own. Thinking about you; hoping that you find a good position that will utilize your education and skills.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think Purehapa hit on this and it rings true - it's the age of technology, and many of us "old" workers haven't kept up with the cutting edge stuff - we're poor on complex computer skills, don't want to run our lives by a Blackberry and text messages, and would have to literally study to do a Powerpoint presentation. The younger group? They teethed on technology and are far and away superior to us in a lot of electronic data transmission and comprehension. I'm looking at unemployment for the first time in 30 years (which is okay, I wish they'd let me go tomorrow, I want to plant flowers), but the new programs that are thrown at me daily? Well, this brain is having trouble absorbing them. My son who is 27, however, picked it all up in a matter of a couple of hours and was making these programs whirl and go. If we want to remain employed, the bottom line may be that we HAVE to dish out the money and stay competitive. We've already got our age and longevity of employment working against us - "I don't know about that" only works to move us to the bottom of the list...again.
I have excellent computer skills. I know how they work too. I even passed 4 physics courses. No one needs to know everything. They need to know what they need to know for their job. That's the problem nowadays, everyone expects you to be a know it all about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search