Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Hello everyone,

I am sure some of you remember my post about being fired from Target over ringing myself up for gum....but now here is a chance to start new.

Best Buy called me for a job interview! I am beyond thrilled.

Has anyone worked for Best Buy or know someone who did? Is it good? Also, what can I expect at the job interview since it has much more to do with technology?

Thank you so much! I hope I get the job!

I know one thing for sure. You don't have to know anything about technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:59 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know one thing for sure. You don't have to know anything about technology.
Did you work there?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 24,481 times
Use company Web sites and podcasts to get information about companies in which you are interested. They are increasingly offering more and more data online so you can get a sense of the company culture and philosophy. In return, during the interview you can show to the interviewer that you are really interested in their company because you know more about them.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,439,063 times
They will ask you why you want to work at BestBuy. Instead of saying "Gee, I'd like to work at BestBuy cause none of the other 30 stores I applied at ever called back". You must find some information about the company and tell the interviewer what is so darn special about their store. They want to hear that BS, even though they know that you are probably sick of working at McDonalds flipping burgers, so working at BestBuy would at least add 2 more dollars per hour. They know that. But they want to hear how great BestBuy is . Look in the internet for Best Buy history and practices. You might find something like "BestBuy supports natures wildlife, blah, blah, blah". If you support natures wildlife too , bring it up at the interview and say you want to be hired at a place that supports the wildlife...... nature's that is.

P.S. I don't know if BestBuy supports nature's wildlife. i just made that up.

Last edited by temptation001; 09-07-2009 at 03:54 AM..

Old 09-07-2009, 03:48 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
Just let your positive attitude and enthusiasm shine through. There's a lot to be said for that!

Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
Congratulations on your second interview! I think you could say something like you like the fact that they are willing to match the prices of their competitors which proves they put their customers first, that they are the go-to store for electronics, that they offer you the opportunity to learn more about their products and be apart of their team, that you've always wanted to work their because of the positive climate when you walk into their store, etc. Look sharp, arrive early, and talk up yourself and BestBuy. Best wishes!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,578,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
They will ask you why you want to work at BestBuy. Instead of saying "Gee, I'd like to work at BestBuy cause none of the other 30 stores I applied at ever called back". You must find some information about the company and tell the interviewer what is so darn special about their store. They want to hear that BS, even though they know that you are probably sick of working at McDonalds flipping burgers, so working at BestBuy would at least add 2 more dollars per hour. They know that. But they want to hear how great BestBuy is . Look in the internet for Best Buy history and practices. You might find something like "BestBuy supports natures wildlife, blah, blah, blah". If you support natures wildlife too , bring it up at the interview and say you want to be hired at a place that supports the wildlife...... nature's that is.

P.S. I don't know if BestBuy supports nature's wildlife. i just made that up.
Yep. I have been researching about the company. I am good with that. LOL.

Do you know if Best buy pays more than min wage? I have never made above 8 an hour. So if this is true, I would be so excited.

Thank you for telling me that you made up the wildlife thing. LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Congratulations on your second interview! I think you could say something like you like the fact that they are willing to match the prices of their competitors which proves they put their customers first, that they are the go-to store for electronics, that they offer you the opportunity to learn more about their products and be apart of their team, that you've always wanted to work their because of the positive climate when you walk into their store, etc. Look sharp, arrive early, and talk up yourself and BestBuy. Best wishes!
Thank you! I certainly hope I can make it. I have the interview tomorrow.

The thing is though-I am confused. I read online that they consider the online application (personality test) the first interview. The second interview is the first in store interview and the third one is the job offer if you make it.

Anyone here who can verify that or tell me otherwise? So will tomorrow be the job offer or will tomorrow be interview two?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,515 times
Good Luck and congratulations on the second interview. In order to keep your sanity in the unfortunate event that this third interview isn't a hiring one, continue to look for other positions. If you have another prospect to focus on, it will go a long ways toward keeping you from being upset if you for some reason don't get the Best Buy position.

Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Did you work there?
No, but I shop there. If that tells you anything.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,184 times
The other thing is to try and steer clear of the Target mishap. Do the best you can to not step on their toes and say anything bad about Target, or why you arent working there anymore. Don't bad mouth the store, and don't mention the bad supervisor, the bad manager, the people out to get you. If it comes up, do your best to come up with a positive reason why you don't work there anymore. ie, closer to school, home, a job with a future. If you say anything negative about Target, then the people at Best Buy will think you are going to do the same about them. Hopefully the HR at target has already given the greenlight on your past performance and you should only have to say, I didn't see myself going anywhere at Target, but, I see a future at BestBuy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search