Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 08:56 PM

217 posts, read 307,426 times

Advertisements

I'll try to make this short.

I'm a recent grad pursuing my dream job at a big company. The normal process for getting hired at this company is (1) having your resume selected as a potential candidate, (2) passing an assessment of job-specific questions which is taken online and (3) passing one or more in-person interviews.

After not hearing back for a few weeks after applying online, I had pretty much written off getting a job there. Then I met this woman who works there, and after I told her I had applied online but not heard back, she said that was no big deal and that if I emailed her my resume then she could get me an interview, thus bypassing step (2), and even help me practice for my interview since she's familiar with how interviews there usually go down.

When I got home to email her my resume, I saw that the company had just emailed me back about my online application, saying they'd now like me to take the assessment. I also emailed this woman my resume, thinking I was now in a better position since I was basically working two different angles into this company. (I also wasn't sure whether she might flake out on me, so I was glad to have started trying to get the position through the original way I applied.)

The problem is that I think I failed the online assessment. I was expecting it to be somewhat easy. While the questions were straight-forward, they were difficult and kind of broad-sided me and put me into a panic since the assessment was timed and I hadn't prepared for the material which involved some programming concepts I had learned in college. I'll know to review these if that woman I met sets up an interview like she said she could.

Suppose I find out I failed the assessment, but nonetheless the woman who I met does end up setting up an interview for me. Should I mention to her that I failed the company's assessment test? Or should it be my little secret and I view this opportunity as my second chance to prove myself, even if I might've not technically deserved a second chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
At this point you don't know you failed the assessment, I would wait until you find out how you did. If you get an interview, just let them know you took the test, nothing more. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:20 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Short answer. What assessment?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM

217 posts, read 307,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Short answer. What assessment?
You're asking me what type of assessment it was?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
You're asking me what type of assessment it was?
No. I'm telling you to ignore the assessment you took and rely on the connection/referral. That will carry more weight than scoring perfectly on any assessment.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
yeah, i would not bring up the assessment unless the employer does. and you DON'T know that you failed it, or what kind of importance it has compared to an employee referral.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:19 AM

382 posts, read 664,219 times
I agree if someone offers a bypass to something which candidates normally gets screamed out. Take the bypass and do not mention it at the interview. That might open up a can of worms - who knows.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, i would not bring up the assessment unless the employer does. and you DON'T know that you failed it, or what kind of importance it has compared to an employee referral.
I agree with all points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search