Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:38 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,660,065 times

Advertisements

If someone were to come to me and talk about their masters, I would be very interested in what they said about it. Since I just have a BS and considering the possibility of pursuing my masters, I would love to hear from the masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 11:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
Thanks. I appreciate the compassion and understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
If someone were to come to me and talk about their masters, I would be very interested in what they said about it. Since I just have a BS and considering the possibility of pursuing my masters, I would love to hear from the masters.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:42 AM

409 posts, read 2,635,345 times
You need to "fix" your resume depending on the job you are applying for. If you are applying for a teller job you are better off omitting your bachelor's degrees and just listing "some" college education. When applying for jobs paying more than 28K a year it should be OK to list one of your Bachelor's, but again it depends on the job.

Just think about it, if you were to hire and train an over qualified employee to your business, why should you waste your resources training him knowing that he is probably leaving as soon as another job that better suits his experience opens up?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:06 AM

361 posts, read 738,179 times
Good morning...
Yes, work is heavy on my mind today!
My $.02 worth: they talk about "targeting" your resume and that's what you want to do. That can mean selectively adding items and/or leaving them off or emphasizing certain skills/training.
One more thing: if who you know is important, can you get to know them -- e.g., through professional groups, courses, etc.?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:06 AM

201 posts, read 432,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I gave you all rep points for being helpful. I honestly feel like what I should do is try to pass the CPA exam. If I'm really diligent, I might be able to pass the exam in less than a year and a half. But that's such a long time and I really hate living here. So, that's not what I want to do. Ugh.
Why would it take a year and a half, cant you just buy the books and study and sit for it, I thought you said you had all your time in you just had to sit for the test. I personally dont mind studying so I have been certifiying up and taking classes while I am half way to my coveted 10 years experience of course im not in any hurry to age either lol.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM

690 posts, read 2,109,500 times
There are four parts to the exam and passing rate is low. It's recommended that you spend about 100 hours studying for each part. Since I have a full-time job, it'd be very difficult to get in 400 hours of quality study time in just a few months. And the exam is only offered eight months in every year. Most people take one part each quarter. Most people also flunk at least one or two parts the first time, so I'm allowing for the possibility of that happening.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLou View Post
Good morning...
Yes, work is heavy on my mind today!
My $.02 worth: they talk about "targeting" your resume and that's what you want to do. That can mean selectively adding items and/or leaving them off or emphasizing certain skills/training.
One more thing: if who you know is important, can you get to know them -- e.g., through professional groups, courses, etc.?
I wish that I could use a professional organization to network, but I get the feeling that I would only be able to network with people who live here...which is where I don't want to be. I'm not convinced I'd meet anyone who can help me get a job in the place that I want to be.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
Networking is very overrated. You have to be best friends with someone in human resources or related to the CEO in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I wish that I could use a professional organization to network, but I get the feeling that I would only be able to network with people who live here...which is where I don't want to be. I'm not convinced I'd meet anyone who can help me get a job in the place that I want to be.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 PM

201 posts, read 432,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Networking is very overrated. You have to be best friends with someone in human resources or related to the CEO in some way.
Yea thats for the most part true, but networking is probably the best game in town, just applying for some job on monster, that employer is going to see hundreds if not thousands of resumes so its probably more of a waste of time than joining a professional organization, going to meetings and I know AIChE for chemical engineers has their members email and phone numbers listed for other members and you can sort by zip code, there is also a rigorus process to becomming a member in the first place to prevent joe schmo from gaining access to these lists. I am sure CPA's have a similar system.

As far as the CPA exams just get the books and start and if you are one or two tests into the cycle and did not get enough studying in for the third then just wing it you might still pass. I always say its not about how many hours you put into studying its what you put into each hour that matters, once you develop really good study habbits and set up a war room you could probably cut that time in half. The PE exam is only offered twice a year so if you botch that test its 6 months before the next one. My war room is a full blown home office that I could probably write off once I get a buisness licence with my PE. If your "office" is in a common room where kids are running around and other activities are going on your going to fail (the office needs to have a door and you need boundries with the rest of the family, the only exception would be a sex break lol), I seen people that had there lap top on some counter near the kitchen and that was the most inefficient thing I had ever seen but they also believed that microwaves mutated their food.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janman345 View Post
Yea thats for the most part true, but networking is probably the best game in town, just applying for some job on monster, that employer is going to see hundreds if not thousands of resumes so its probably more of a waste of time than joining a professional organization, going to meetings and I know AIChE for chemical engineers has their members email and phone numbers listed for other members and you can sort by zip code, there is also a rigorus process to becomming a member in the first place to prevent joe schmo from gaining access to these lists. I am sure CPA's have a similar system.

As far as the CPA exams just get the books and start and if you are one or two tests into the cycle and did not get enough studying in for the third then just wing it you might still pass. I always say its not about how many hours you put into studying its what you put into each hour that matters, once you develop really good study habbits and set up a war room you could probably cut that time in half. The PE exam is only offered twice a year so if you botch that test its 6 months before the next one. My war room is a full blown home office that I could probably write off once I get a buisness licence with my PE. If your "office" is in a common room where kids are running around and other activities are going on your going to fail (the office needs to have a door and you need boundries with the rest of the family, the only exception would be a sex break lol), I seen people that had there lap top on some counter near the kitchen and that was the most inefficient thing I had ever seen but they also believed that microwaves mutated their food.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least start studying. The books and review materials are sooo expensive, but I guess I could tell myself that it's an investment. Even though I'm starting to doubt that forking over thousands of dollars to become more educated really helps a person get a job these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search