Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

But another thread for you to question is how Elohim (the g_d) became Allah (g-ds name (even though Al- means The-))
It is true if Allaah as written as 2 words it would be Al-Lah two words meaning approximately the Highest. But it is written as a one word Name

Keep in mind Arabic and Hebrew are dialects of the same Language. The letters are nearly identical except for the script. Looking at the words Allah and Elohim it should be apparant both words are virtually identical

When written in Arabic it is: الله Alif-Lam-Ha

Elohim when written in Hebrew is: Aleph Lamed Hey Mem אלוהים

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 10-15-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just curiuos,what do you guys think of Jehovahs witnesses using the name to pray?
From Judaism 101: The Name of G-d
Quote:
Some people render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah," but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word "Jehovah" comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH ("J" is pronounced "Y" in German), and the name stuck

Old 10-15-2011, 10:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Keep in mind Arabic and Hebrew are dialects of the same Language.
Correct. And this is why both require their followers to read it in its original language so there no mistakes in translating certain words. English readers don't seem to understand that the different spellings are used due to the context they are in rather than being another version of the actual name.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Correct. And this is why both require their followers to read it in its original language so there no mistakes in translating certain words. English readers don't seem to understand that the different spellings are used due to the context they are in rather than being another version of the actual name.
I read and speak Arabic. To be honest my Hebrew is poor. and I do not consider myself a reader of Hebrew although I can understand quite a bit of the spoken as very many Arabic and Hebrew words are very similar. Also when I lived in Morocco and there was/is large Jewish populations in Kenitra were I spent a lot of time and I got to know quite a few Jews. We managed to carry on reasonable conversations with me speaking Arabic and them replying in Hebrew.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:24 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Since no Jew has answered the original question here. I will attempt to answer based on what little I know.

As best as I know no Jew has ever called G_D Jehovah. Jehovah has no connection to Judaism.

I can not envision any Jew concerned about JWs using the name Jehovah. The name Jehovah makes no sense in Hebrew and probably has no more significance to a Jew then if the JWs called themselves IWs and prayed to Ignatz Smith.
I am jewish and do agree. No one I know has any issue with the name being used. We do have an issue though with a loud knock on the door on a Sunday morning with someone trying to convert you.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I am jewish and do agree. No one I know has any issue with the name being used.
Many Jews do have an issue with referring to the Almighty as Jehovah as it is incorrect (a sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, incorrectly wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH ... ).

Old 10-15-2011, 11:38 PM

646 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Just curiuos,what do you guys think of Jehovahs witnesses using the name to pray?
What do you think would happen to such individuals?
Why did Jews cease to use his name?
JWs are doing the right thing.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:55 PM

646 posts, read 634,316 times
Quote:
Close...Close... If you looked at the word in hebrew and tried to read it literally it would actually sound out as y'huh or y'hoh as the third letter is silent by itself and takes on the pronounciation of the letter that preceeds it. This is why when you see two of them together then they create the vvv sound. Actual hebrew uses the second letter of the hebrew language Bet (be sound) and uses the secondary pronounciation as Vet (ve sound). An Eiyen would be pronouned as a W.
Any Jew would not pronounce it. Adonai (means Sir) is used for formal prayer and Hashem (The Name) for general informal reading. In Judiasm saying the actual name is disrespectful as its putting yourself on the same level.
Would you even a allow a young child to call an adult by their first name? Most likely not. Expectation is Mom, Dad, Uncle, Aunt, Sir, Ma'am, Mister, Misses, etc.......... Thus the same logic follows.

Thus:
Disrestpectful
What do you think would happen to such individuals?
Not an earthly consideration. a person is judged (upon leaving this plane of existence) upon everything in their lives not single incidents.
Why did Jews cease to use his name?
The general population never did. Only the high priest (or most senior rabbi) would actually know the proper name and be able to pronounce it correctly.
“. .For “everyone who calls on the name of JEHOVAH (not Lord; not God; not Jesus; not Savior; not Allah) will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?”” (Romans 10:13-15)

“For God is not unrighteous so as to forget YOUR work and the LOVE YOU SHOWED FOR HIS NAME, . . .” (Hebrews 6:10)
Who is he talking to? ONLY JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES LOVE HIS NAME! No one else has adopted it, so he will not forget their work and reward them with eternal life.
Do you love Jehovah’s name? Then why not bear it with pride, the way Jehovah’s Witnesses do?
Church members do not know Jehovah by his name. How will they call on him in faith? They are taught that he is 3 different persons in one, that he cruelly tortures and burns people in eternal torment, which means that they do not know him at all. You cannot have faith in someone you do not know - right?
The Jews now have a nameless God to which they can direct no one, so that argument can very quickly be dismissed.
About the “grammatical impossibility,” we find this interesting note:
In Hebrew:
Jeremiah’s name is YIRMIAH. Abraham’s name is AVHAMON. Judah’s name is YAHUDAH. Isaiah’s name is YESAYAHU. Zedekiah’s name is SIDQIVVAHU, John is JEHOHANAN and Sarah’s name is SARAVAH.
Since there were/are no vowels in Hebrew, the pronunciation of those names were determined by common usage, as recognized by the community using the language.
Here’s your problem:
You seem to have no difficulty pronouncing those names, even though their particular vowel sounds were/are unknown. But when it comes to YHWH - huge difficulty. Why? Why would anyone not want to use the name of the true God? It is a trumped-up excuse not to use Jehovah’s name!
Why do other religions not teach about Jehovah’s great name? Jehovah himself reveals the reason:
“. . .They are thinking of MAKING MY PEOPLE FORGET MY NAME by means of their dreams that they keep relating each one to the other, just as their fathers forgot my name by means of Ba′al.” (Jeremiah 23:27)
“Nevertheless, Moses said to the [true] God: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of YOUR forefathers has sent me to YOU,’ and they do say to me, ‘WHAT IS HIS NAME?’ What shall I say to them?” ……Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘JEHOVAH the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13,15)
So - we know what his name is and we love it. You give no indication that you do.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
“. .For “everyone who calls on the name of JEHOVAH (not Lord; not God; not Jesus; not Savior; not Allah) will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach?”” (Romans 10:13-15)

“For God is not unrighteous so as to forget YOUR work and the LOVE YOU SHOWED FOR HIS NAME, . . .” (Hebrews 6:10)
Who is he talking to? ONLY JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES LOVE HIS NAME! No one else has adopted it, so he will not forget their work and reward them with eternal life.
Do you love Jehovah’s name? Then why not bear it with pride, the way Jehovah’s Witnesses do?
Church members do not know Jehovah by his name. How will they call on him in faith? They are taught that he is 3 different persons in one, that he cruelly tortures and burns people in eternal torment, which means that they do not know him at all. You cannot have faith in someone you do not know - right?
The Jews now have a nameless God to which they can direct no one, so that argument can very quickly be dismissed.
About the “grammatical impossibility,” we find this interesting note:
In Hebrew:
Jeremiah’s name is YIRMIAH. Abraham’s name is AVHAMON. Judah’s name is YAHUDAH. Isaiah’s name is YESAYAHU. Zedekiah’s name is SIDQIVVAHU, John is JEHOHANAN and Sarah’s name is SARAVAH.
Since there were/are no vowels in Hebrew, the pronunciation of those names were determined by common usage, as recognized by the community using the language.
Here’s your problem:
You seem to have no difficulty pronouncing those names, even though their particular vowel sounds were/are unknown. But when it comes to YHWH - huge difficulty. Why? Why would anyone not want to use the name of the true God? It is a trumped-up excuse not to use Jehovah’s name!
Why do other religions not teach about Jehovah’s great name? Jehovah himself reveals the reason:
“. . .They are thinking of MAKING MY PEOPLE FORGET MY NAME by means of their dreams that they keep relating each one to the other, just as their fathers forgot my name by means of Ba′al.” (Jeremiah 23:27)
“Nevertheless, Moses said to the [true] God: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of YOUR forefathers has sent me to YOU,’ and they do say to me, ‘WHAT IS HIS NAME?’ What shall I say to them?” ……Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘JEHOVAH the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.” (Exodus 3:13,15)
So - we know what his name is and we love it. You give no indication that you do.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
If this is true and there is a supreme being, did you ever think that we weren't supposed to call him by his name? If you are respectful to your parents, do you call them by their name or their title? They are mom and dad, not mike and jennifer, or joe and amy. So if there is a supreme being, then it would probably be proper to use the word G-d and not anything else. By the way, any bible, new testament,etc...would be written by a human and not a supreme being so even if the individual was instructed to write as the being told him, how do we know for sure that he did? Maybe the real name is Lance. Maybe Walter. You're just reading a book written by another man.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:28 AM

According to Judaism 101: The Name of G-d
Quote:
Nothing in the Torah prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of God. Indeed, it is evident from scripture that God's Name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain "Yah" or "Yahu," part of God's four-letter Name. The Name was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

The Mishnah confirms that there was no prohibition against pronouncing The Name in ancient times. In fact, the Mishnah recommends using God's Name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot 9:5. However, by the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute Names for God. Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHVH according to its letters (instead of using a substitute) has no place in the World to Come, and should be put to death. Instead of pronouncing the four-letter Name, we usually substitute the Name "Adonai," or simply say "Ha-Shem" (lit. The Name).

Although the prohibition on pronunciation applies only to the four-letter Name, Jews customarily do not pronounce any of God's many Names except in prayer or study. The usual practice is to substitute letters or syllables, so that Adonai becomes Adoshem or Ha-Shem; Elohaynu and Elohim become Elokaynu and Elokim; Eil becomes Keil, etc.

With the Temple destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple, pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually the correct pronunciation was lost, and we no longer know it with any certainty. We do not know what vowels were used, or even whether the Vav in the Name was a vowel or a consonant. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about the difficulties in pronouncing Hebrew. Some religious scholars suggest that the Name was pronounced "Yahweh," but others do not find this pronunciation particularly persuasive. Historian Flavius Josephus, who was born a kohein at a time when the pronunciation of the Name was still known, said that the name was four vowels (War of the Jews, Book V, Chapter 5), probably referring to the fact that each of the four consonants in the name can serve in Hebrew as a vowel or vowel marker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism