Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:42 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times

Advertisements

Hot topic in Israel right now: should Israeli youth currently sitting and learning in Yeshiva be compelled to serve in the Israeli army, which in it's current form, is not set up so that a Torah Observant Jew can fully maintain his Torah values. Secular Israeli's are beginning to push the tide their way on this issue, as the Israeli Supreme Court recently ruled that the Kenneset must find a way to draft all chareidim. I thought this article below takes an interesting view on the matter:

Chareidi MKs: Secular Youth Should Be Drafted to Yeshivos » Matzav.com - The Online Voice of Torah Jewry

Quote:
Chareidi politicians have responded to this past weekend’s protest for equality in sharing of the military burden in Israel by saying that it was a manifestation of the public’s anti-charedi agenda.
“I think we should have an equal sharing of the burden,” Moshe Gafni, United Torah Judaism MK and chairman of the Knesset Finance Committee, said on Motzoei Shabbos. “There are not enough people who study the Torah. Some of the teenage youth who demonstrate in Tel Aviv - a large number of whom do not serve and do not study - should be drafted into the yeshivot. The people of Israel are under threat and we need all the help we can get, certain segments should serve in the military and other segments should serve in yeshivot, no one should be free from either form of service.”

MK Yisrael Eichler said that the organizers of the “service for all” protest movement are imbued with hatred for chareidim. He also said their ostensible overarching goal furthering the state’s security is only secondary to their desire to have the charedi youth who engage in Torah study re-educated and integrated in a melting pot.

“The secular regime regards the young pupils who study Torah and the yeshiva students as the real threat to the state,” he said, according to Israel Hayom.” All the conscription and integration plans are designed to destroy chareidi education and to sever the people of Israel’s ties to the Torah. Anyone who wants equal sharing of the burden should repeal the mandatory military service requirement.”

Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM

584 posts, read 598,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hot topic in Israel right now: should Israeli youth currently sitting and learning in Yeshiva be compelled to serve in the Israeli army, which in it's current form, is not set up so that a Torah Observant Jew can fully maintain his Torah values.
How so?

Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Hot topic in Israel right now: should Israeli youth currently sitting and learning in Yeshiva be compelled to serve in the Israeli army, which in it's current form, is not set up so that a Torah Observant Jew can fully maintain his Torah values. Secular Israeli's are beginning to push the tide their way on this issue, as the Israeli Supreme Court recently ruled that the Kenneset must find a way to draft all chareidim. I thought this article below takes an interesting view on the matter:

Chareidi MKs: Secular Youth Should Be Drafted to Yeshivos » Matzav.com - The Online Voice of Torah Jewry

The Supreme Court has ruled that the Tal law is unconstitutional and needs to be replaced. The majority of Israelis have come out to protest that all should serve either in the idf or national service.

Only the brightest should be allowed to stay in Yeshiva and continue to study Torah. The majority of Haridim should not be given a stipend, nor be allowed to avoid either the IDF or National Service.

They have grown substantially in population and Israel can no longer afford to support them.

They are a part of the State and citizens of Israel so they should help to support the state that has given them so much.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
How so?
Kol isha comes to mind. Jewish officers have compelled Torah Observant Jewish men to sit and listen to female singers/performers at recent military concerts in Israel, at punishment of time in jail if they refuse to violate their Torah principles. Think of the situation this puts a Torah observant Jew in: either violatethe Torah or go to jail. Reminds me of early 20th century Russia, where the gov't systematically dismanteled Torah Jewry in Russia.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Kol isha comes to mind. Jewish officers have compelled Torah Observant Jewish men to sit and listen to female singers/performers at recent military concerts in Israel, ...
So you would be fine with special battalions of conscripted Orthodox Jews operating under a different set of rules?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
So you would be fine with special battalions of conscripted Orthodox Jews operating under a different set of rules?
I think that's closer to a good solution. I'm no expert on Israeli military, but I think they already have something like this. But it doesn't exempt them from participating in events planned fore the troops at large.

I do like the point of the article I linked above. If the secularists are going to compel religious Israeli's to "serve" the state in the army, perhaps they should also compel the secularists to "serve" the state in the yeshivos. One view is that the people in Israel are responsible for the safety of the nation. The other view is that Hashem is responsible. Who is to say one view is the more correct view?

I've been reading a good book on the IDF recently, which goes into tremendous detail on the history of the Israeli military in the early 20th century. The early zionists who started the state were by and large godless secularists, and the early religious Jews were by and large opposed to the creation of a Jewish state in Israel. Not much has changed, I suspect.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I do like the point of the article I linked above. If the secularists are going to compel religious Israeli's to "serve" the state in the army, perhaps they should also compel the secularists to "serve" the state in the yeshivos.
I think that is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long, long time.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:58 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
I think that's closer to a good solution. I'm no expert on Israeli military, but I think they already have something like this. But it doesn't exempt them from participating in events planned fore the troops at large.

I do like the point of the article I linked above. If the secularists are going to compel religious Israeli's to "serve" the state in the army, perhaps they should also compel the secularists to "serve" the state in the yeshivos. One view is that the people in Israel are responsible for the safety of the nation. The other view is that Hashem is responsible. Who is to say one view is the more correct view?

I've been reading a good book on the IDF recently, which goes into tremendous detail on the history of the Israeli military in the early 20th century. The early zionists who started the state were by and large godless secularists, and the early religious Jews were by and large opposed to the creation of a Jewish state in Israel. Not much has changed, I suspect.
In a democratic state the rabbinate cannot make Israelis go to yeshiva. To do so makes it a theocracy.

Those who are in the idf are religious and secular.

Those who go into the idf and national service are not taking from the state but giving to the state.

The haridim are taking from the state and not giving back.

If they don't think the state ought to exist as the homeland of the Jewish people and the state of Israel then they should take nothing from the state.

They should not take even one shekel from the state.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I think that is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long, long time.
"How so?"

Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop
Hot topic in Israel right now: should Israeli youth currently sitting and learning in Yeshiva be compelled to serve in the Israeli army
Originally the ones who were exempted from from serving was so supposed to be a small group of Haredi. The rest were supposed to delay joining the IDF until completion of their studies. Through the years it ended up being nearly all the Haredi youths took the exemption and never entering the IDF. What changed? The US 2008 crash. The money they lived on was supplied by American donations. Israel until then let them slide because they weren't a drain a the Israeli economy. Now they are a drain on the system in numerous ways. First barely any of them have any social skills in dealing with people outside of their sect. Second they have no work related skills because they learned no trades. And third their school education (math, language, science, etc) basically ended at the end of elementary school. So now their on the welfare rolls. They are being forced to get jobs, but its difficult giving them one if they have no basic skills. What they are trying to extend is US lingo is "Generational Welfare" and the Israeli govt is putting an end to it as of August. So basically their basic education will need to include some secular studies in order for them to become part of the society. So basically a program called Shahar will start at a much earlier stage and there is already a foundation set up for the them to be part of the IDF called Nahal.

Quote:
Yet with the advent of Nahal Hareidi, men who are interested in doing army service – and receiving educational and vocational training – can now take part under strict religious conditions. Religious Zionists account for 30% of the soldiers, but the remaining 70% come from Hareidi homes.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/139983
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_Judaism
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.