Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm a strange one, but I tend to pay attention to the Hebrew names of people called up for aliyot (Torah readings) in my synagogue. In fact, last week, I was able to figure out a brother and sister who were called up...based on their Hebrew names (they are in their 60s....different last names....).

I started thinking about what the Hebrew name of someone with a non-Jewish father would be? My own, uninformed opinion was that it would switch over to the mother, if she were Jewish. So Moshe, who has a non-Jewish father named William, but a Jewish mother named Sarah, would be called up as "Moshe ben Sarah". However I wasn't too sure about this reasoning.

I found a really cool website where questions like this are presented, and rabbis from the major Jewish denominations (Orthodox, Conservative, Reform) weigh in. I was surprised to see that the Orthodox take was ambivalent....saying that the mother's name could be used, or that the person can be called "ben Avraham" (like converts are). The Conservative rabbi basically makes the same conclusion, where the Reform rabbi suggests that the person utilize their mother's name in their Hebrew name.

Very interesting to say the least! Next, I wonder what percentage of Jews have only a Hebrew name (like myself...sort of), and which percentage have a Hebrew name that they only use in ritual, and have an English given name that they go by? My guess is in the past, many more Jews had two names.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
I attend a Conservative synagogue, and in that situation we tend to use the mother's name.

We also recently had a visitor who had just moved to the area attend a Shabbat service. He is a young adult with a Jewish mother, but wasn't raised in a religious home. He hesitated when called to the Torah because he didn't know his mother's Hebrew name. Our rabbi called him up as ben Yisrael.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
In all Orthodox shuls I have attended, they use "Ben or Bas Avraham." And they use "Ben or Bas Soroh" when needing Hashem's rachmanos (mercy), like when praying for somebody's health.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
My sister is married to a non-Jew. So at my nephew's bris/brith mila/circumcision ceremony, the mohel used my sister's name when announcing my nephew's Hebrew name saying he was the son of his mother using her Hebrew name (as his father is not Jewish).

Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
In all Orthodox shuls I have attended, they use "Ben or Bas Avraham." And they use "Ben or Bas Soroh" when needing Hashem's rachmanos (mercy), like when praying for somebody's health.

the difference is that in most conservative shuls you are called to the torah in the names of both parents "david ben shlomo ve ruchel" , though at least at my shul, when we ask for refuah shlema, its in the name of the mother "david ben ruchel"

Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
the difference is that in most conservative shuls you are called to the torah in the names of both parents "david ben shlomo ve ruchel" , though at least at my shul, when we ask for refuah shlema, its in the name of the mother "david ben ruchel"
I think we all ask for refuah shlema in the name of the mother, because women tend to have a greater level of the midda of "mercy." Sounds like this is a consistent thought among most Jews. I remember in the reform shul growing up, we would sing the Debbie Friedman version of her misheberach song. Not exactly what we do in my shul today, but hey, at least they're doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism