Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:35 PM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
It's the standard in the Orthodox Jewish community. My kids' school separates the sexes in 1st grade, and their next real contact with the opposite sex is when they begin to date, which still does not include any form of touch until the wedding night. Divorce in the Orthodox community is less than 10%.
It would almost be a perfect world if everyone at least tried to keep in mind that their marriage is the most important thing they may ever do.

I really love how some women cover themselves from the public or how in the old days, a man would not see a woman with her hair down, only the husband would. Romance is a big thing and having strict rules would just enhance romance even more.

Still, I couldn't imagine myself having fun at camp when there was no girls to hold hands with on the midnight trail. All camps have a Friday night midnight trail where girls and boys hold hands before the banquet the next morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
It's the standard in the Orthodox Jewish community. My kids' school separates the sexes in 1st grade, and their next real contact with the opposite sex is when they begin to date, which still does not include any form of touch until the wedding night. Divorce in the Orthodox community is less than 10%.
Way to go to start a new topic in your own thread.

Care to start a new thread discussing "Giving a Get" and why it's such a large issue in the Orthodox community?

With Jewish divorce rates at 30%, NY Orthodoxy responds | The Times of Israel

Quote:
...one in three women seeking divorce is threatened with a get refusal or extortion from her husband...
http://www.newsweek.com/divorce-orth...d-endless-3082

Old 07-05-2015, 07:45 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
My boys tell me they are loving camp. I think they love the freedom of using the life skills we've taught them in a new environment. Plus the weather is nice there and they actually say they like the food. It's been a fun time for my little kids still at home, too, as they are getting so much more quality time with my wife and me.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
My boys tell me they are loving camp. I think they love the freedom of using the life skills we've taught them in a new environment. Plus the weather is nice there and they actually say they like the food. It's been a fun time for my little kids still at home, too, as they are getting so much more quality time with my wife and me.
Yup, it is like a liberating thing for a kid to be away from home for the first time especially, drama for mom especially too! Let them get used to leaving the home front and maybe you wont have to raise them into their 40s. Do they have a stream to drink straight out of? That was always the thing in camp, drank right from the stream.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Way to go to start a new topic in your own thread.

Care to start a new thread discussing "Giving a Get" and why it's such a large issue in the Orthodox community?

With Jewish divorce rates at 30%, NY Orthodoxy responds | The Times of Israel

http://www.newsweek.com/divorce-orth...d-endless-3082
That picture of Dr. Hindi Klein is priceless.

I never did understand the emphasis on staying on topic in a lot of threads, maybe a real serious thread, but usually it's just a couple people talking and it goes away forever. Dang. Think I will start a thread, ''Off Topic,'' probably be the most natural for me considering how bad I am at staying on topic, but then I am so slow, takes me a while to find out what's happening.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yup, it is like a liberating thing for a kid to be away from home for the first time especially, drama for mom especially too! Let them get used to leaving the home front and maybe you wont have to raise them into their 40s. Do they have a stream to drink straight out of? That was always the thing in camp, drank right from the stream.
My oldest is 13 and has 1 more school year at home, then off to yeshiva. This is his first extended trip away from home. We're watching carefully to see how he handles it, so we'll have a better idea if he'll be ready to leave home and go off to sit and learn. The younger brother just lucked out and got to go, too.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 AM

So tff, what is the underlying meaning of this thread? Is is another one of your agenda threads to tell us your version is the right way and everyone else's is wrong?

Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 AM

So tff, what does your daughter get to do for the summer?

Old 07-06-2015, 10:15 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
My mom had a bad experience at sleep away camp as a kid (the type of kid who just did not thrive spending a month or two away from home at 12 or 13) so she never let my brother and I go for more than a week. The Jewish sleepaway camps tended to be very expensive and longer term, so instead I went to 4-H camp for a week in various locations across Georgia each summer. I was also the kid who begged her parents to go to boarding school, so I think a lot of my mom's fears were unwarranted!

All of my friends in college went to sleep away camp and I really wish I had the Ramah experience. The friends made at those camps are friends for a lifetime. I even know a few marriages among Ramah and URJ alumni who met at camp over a decade ago.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
So tff, what does your daughter get to do for the summer?
She's only 7 years old. She's going to a local Jewish day camp and is loving it. She's getting lots of Tati-time this summer and is on cloud 9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism