Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times

Advertisements

Well as a former Hasid, the photos in the following link put things in perspective from what I was to what I am.

On Tisha B'Av, ex-ultra-Orthodox Jew mourns destruction of 'personal temple' | The Times of Israel

Old 07-25-2015, 05:02 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well as a former Hasid, the photos in the following link put things in perspective from what I was to what I am.

On Tisha B'Av, ex-ultra-Orthodox Jew mourns destruction of 'personal temple' | The Times of Israel
“Instead of focusing on the past, and looking at what we lost, we are looking to the future,” said Stein, who is now a member of Footsteps, an organization that helps ultra-Orthodox Jews transition to life in mainstream society. ~ quote from the link

Sounds like an activity of evolved spirit....

Old 07-25-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
“Instead of focusing on the past, and looking at what we lost, we are looking to the future,” said Stein, who is now a member of Footsteps, an organization that helps ultra-Orthodox Jews transition to life in mainstream society. ~ quote from the link

Sounds like an activity of evolved spirit....

From my point of view it was leaving a cult. The life of a Hasid is extremely more strict than what the current TOJs in this forum can ever imagine. Leaving the cult gives one the ability to think for oneself and make decisions for oneself. In my sect, I was part of the leadership core of the cult where I was being trained from day one to be a Rabbi. There was no individual life.

I really don't want to rehash this transition, but somewhere there is a old thread that I covered it.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Quote:

Quote:
From my point of view it was leaving a cult. The life of a Hasid is extremely more strict than what the current TOJs in this forum can ever imagine. Leaving the cult gives one the ability to think for oneself and make decisions for oneself. In my sect, I was part of the leadership core of the cult where I was being trained from day one to be a Rabbi. There was no individual life.

I really don't want to rehash this transition, but somewhere there is a old thread that I covered it.

Interesting article~! I can't imagine growing up that strict. In the small community where I live compared to where you grew up, strict had a different meaning. Only one family sent their kids away for school like to NYC & Chicago. We use to have a day school here where another family sent their kids but the majority of us went to public school, like myself.

This doesn't compare to the sad thing the girl did, but Deborah Feldman who wrote the book "UnOrthodox" really also felt a need to escape from the religous groups she was with. She wrote a good book and I enjoyed it. I know a lot of people don't agree with her and what she went thru.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
well that explains the animosity you have towards Orthodox Jews. I'd been wondering about where it came from.

It is a recipe for rebellion when parents try to force children into a role they may not want. Please at some point avail yourself of counseling, therapy, 12-step work, for your own healing and well-being. Bitterness and hatred and resentment are like eating rat poison, they corrode you from the inside and keep you from happiness. May the Shechinah surround you, guard you, comfort and protect you.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
It appears that some view the orthodox/fundamentalism as being the poison and stuck in the mire of pre-modern thinking which - G()D bless them, much of the youth of today are moving away from because they see it in a similar way to poison...as in - it is not good for a person to be consuming such a thing.

Much the much as i was trying to say in MOD CUT

It is refreshing to see that not all are mired in snubbing The World in favor of old bygone prejudice. There is hope!

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 07-26-2015 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: LINKS TO CLOSED THREAD THAT IS NO LONGER VISIBLE

Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
parents disowned her at age sixteen and just left her adrift in New York. A sad story, but she managed to get her life together eventually and get a degree from Harvard.
well guess what? secular parents disown their children too.
growing up in an intellectual secular home, I was punished for asking about God. I had a hidden bible that I read in secret. I was locked in my room until i completed college applications and was forced to attend, yup, an ivy league university.

when I got my life together eventually I found my way to Chassidus.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
well that explains the animosity you have towards Orthodox Jews. I'd been wondering about where it came from.

It is a recipe for rebellion when parents try to force children into a role they may not want. Please at some point avail yourself of counseling, therapy, 12-step work, for your own healing and well-being. Bitterness and hatred and resentment are like eating rat poison, they corrode you from the inside and keep you from happiness. May the Shechinah surround you, guard you, comfort and protect you.
Orthodox Jews is not the issue. Ultra Orthodox is. As I said earlier, being Orthodox is easy, being Ultra Orthodox (Frum or Haredi if those suit you better) is not since one is being controlled by the community and the family where those standards are much higher, more stricter and extremely more stringent. What happens behind closed doors is child abuse. Since you don't know me or have not lived my life as a early FFB I consider your comment about the need for counseling and the other garbage you typed as offensive and a personal attack.

I'm not Satmar. I'm Gur. So as an older adult, I'm now dealing with my generation who is in control and is a little more lenient to the current generation of children. I can walk among them as long as I keep to the rules of modesty (my wife, not so much so she doesn't travel with me to events in that community). I don't travel on a whim to community events. I travel when I'm invited (probably since my male bloodline is central to the dynasty, so I still get respect because of it).

Old 07-26-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
well guess what? secular parents disown their children too.
growing up in an intellectual secular home, I was punished for asking about God. I had a hidden bible that I read in secret. I was locked in my room until i completed college applications and was forced to attend, yup, an ivy league university.

when I got my life together eventually I found my way to Chassidus.
Anyone who knows what a cult is knows this as the brainwashed response to their past.

Another Ba'al Teshuva and not FFB, explained a lot. Has no personal experience growing up in the community.

FFB= Frum From Birth/Born Ultra Orthodox

Old 07-26-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
What happens behind closed doors is child abuse. Since you don't know me or have not lived my life as a early FFB I consider your comment about the need for counseling and the other garbage you typed as offensive and a personal attack.
i know that I did not grow up in a frum home, and i accept your experiences as you describe
guess what....child abuse happens in secular homes too, i went through it. People either get into therapy and deal with it, or they stay stuck in hate and blame and see themselves as victims.

if someone on a Judaism forum posts things like "Haredi Jews should not exist" and "if people were allowed to think, they would not be religious" then they are carrying around some pretty bitter invective. If I came out of a divorce and spewed bile like "men should not exist" and "people should not get married" more than one person on an internet forum would tell me pronto get into therapy. And they would be right. This is no different. It has nothing to do with being frum or haredi. It has everything to do with the bitterness in your posts. Plenty of people have happy marriages. Plenty of intelligent people choose to be frum Jews.

i have a great deal of respect for every Jew and hold every Jew in high regard. But when you continually berate other Jews with lashon hara you are going to get called on it. It is damaging to you, it is damaging to everyone who reads it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-26-2015 at 02:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism