Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
They bake babies into matzah. Didn't you know that?
that is not even a little bit funny. even as a joke it is not funny.

even as an attempt at light hearted banter, it is not funny.

do you know why it is not funny flipflop?

Old 07-26-2015, 03:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
How Brooklyn girl Chanie Gorkin’s poem became a global sensation

Old 07-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Hasidic Jew Runs Away From Her Orthodox Roots After Arranged Marriage, Child - ABC News

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/03/escape_from_hasidism/

Old 07-26-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
“Instead of focusing on the past, and looking at what we lost, we are looking to the future,” said Stein, who is now a member of Footsteps, an organization that helps ultra-Orthodox Jews transition to life in mainstream society. ~ quote from the link

Sounds like an activity of evolved spirit....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
From my point of view it was leaving a cult. The life of a Hasid is extremely more strict than what the current TOJs in this forum can ever imagine. Leaving the cult gives one the ability to think for oneself and make decisions for oneself. In my sect, I was part of the leadership core of the cult where I was being trained from day one to be a Rabbi. There was no individual life.

I really don't want to rehash this transition, but somewhere there is a old thread that I covered it.

It is interesting that you speak about cultish behavior. I drew a chart up which helps me to visualize the evolution of human consciousness and spirituality and one of the aspects I called 'cults' but I have now changed that to read 'Sects' because your explanation makes more sense.

Cults are dangerous and really have abandoned spirituality in favor of dogma.

A Sect is a group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.

I would say the difference is that not all sects are necessarily wrong because they challenge the status quo of the larger groups. Larger groups can be just as cult-like as smaller ones.

But the important thing is to see through all that and evolve into more appropriate positions of spirituality and awakening as human beings, rather than races of culture.

I think maybe the essay Faigy Mayer wrote could be classed as a type of suicide note and is really worth thinking about.

What is the abusiveness she speaks of in relation to the Hasidic that it so wants its adherents separated from The World?

And for that matter, what does the Hasidic teach its Children about The World which makes The World so evil in their eyes?

The World is more than just the bad things which come out of it.

The World does amazing good things too.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:01 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
Quote:
that is not even a little bit funny. even as a joke it is not funny.

even as an attempt at light hearted banter, it is not funny.

do you know why it is not funny flipflop?
Calm down. I'm an Orthodox Jew and I'm perfectly aware where the idea comes from. Veggienut has a "beef" against Chabad and was fishing for more ammo against them. So I gave her just what she wanted to hear. Lies.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 PM

Life After Hasidism | Local Brooklyn News and Features | The Brooklyn Ink

Old 07-26-2015, 04:13 PM

When Hasidic Boys Grow Up Without Real School - Sisterhood

Old 07-26-2015, 04:19 PM

*Life as a teen

Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Calm down. I'm an Orthodox Jew and I'm perfectly aware where the idea comes from. Veggienut has a "beef" against Chabad and was fishing for more ammo against them. So I gave her just what she wanted to hear. Lies.
Well maybe you need to search the Orthodox guidelines to make sure that giving people what they want to hear (even if it is 'lies') is the best way forward.

Perhaps by understanding where the actual abuse is coming from (rather than the made up stuff) might help you help others understand these Orthodox/ultra-Orthodox belief systems and how those beliefs are instilled into Children.

Because some kind of abuse seems almost certainly to be happening and perhaps it is not Orthodox to recognize such activity as actually being abusive?

Old 07-26-2015, 04:46 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Because some kind of abuse seems almost certainly to be happening and perhaps it is not Orthodox to recognize such activity as actually being abusive?
what part of "all abuse needs to be made public" do you not understand?

what part of "abuse is never OK" do you not understand?

child abuse is not anything new in the religious world or in the secular world. It needs to stop and people in the secular world and in the religious world need to be held accountable for harming children. That is why it is so important for people to be able to tell their experiences, and get the support and professional help that is needed for healing. This is how we break the cycle of abuse, by going public, and by getting counseling and therapy, and by learning healthy recovery skills for relationships, so that we can improve the quality of our life, and leave our children a different family legacy.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-26-2015 at 04:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism