Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 04:56 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehinde93 View Post
I was looking for the passage in the Tanakh, once I find it then we can see the reason the women were expelled.
I could tell you the passage (seeing as how you haven't read all the material in the various links I provided) and you can decide that "that isn't what the text means." And you have the right to do that, as long as you don't think that your personal interpretation of Ezra 10:3 is at all relevant to Judaism and Jewish law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
It's not that I don't agree I'm just looking for scripture to confirm that.
You are looking for scripture that confirms it the way you agree that it is confirming it. The development of law in Judaism goes well beyond what you think.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Straying off the topic does happen, but once we've created a totally new topic within a thread then that becomes a hijack. Usually when one strays, one covers some of the queries and returns to the topic. Once a new topic is started and becomes a disconnected tangent then it's a off topic hijack since it no longer is discussing the topic of the thread.
So it was on topic for you to make a claim about the "T in tanach" but not for me to correct you. Got it.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Isn't betrothal = engaged to be married? So isn't that speaking of a child born through lust?
No -- the mishna is talking about cases where the legal construct of marriage can apply. Where it can, the child's status depends on other factors. Where it can't the ultimate status follows that of the mother. The example given states that betrothal as a Jewish status can't apply when a non-Jew is involved, so a child from such a union has status determined by the mother.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
As this is another off topic wander:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
[b]

That applies to the actual Hebrew names of God such as הי( Hashem- substitute for the Shem Ha Morphesh , אלוהים(Elohim/God) not God which is not Hebrew -לעז(foreign) and has no Kedushah (holiness).
ה Ha=the

לעז Laaz is a root from Aramaic and not hebrew. Using hebrew to explain torah words is not correct. Thus we need to go into Arabic to find its correct meaning of the root which is: not speaking clearly.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 11-12-2015 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 AM

22,208 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
As this is another off topic wander:
my observation is that the frequent and repeated mis-use of the cry "off topic" in the Judaism forum is a way to belittle and mock and attack other individuals. Insult, bullying, derision, and hostility are not conducive to learning or discussion, and are not courteous or respectful.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-12-2015 at 07:34 AM..

Old 11-12-2015, 06:40 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
my observation is that the frequent and repeated mis-use of the cry "off topic" in the Judaism forum is a way to belittle and mock and attack other individuals; this repeated and on-going pattern of disrespect, insult, and hostility has nothing to do with discussing whatever the topic is at hand.
For discussing any topic at hand is what the "Ask a Jew" thread is for...This thread has a specific topic which you seem to want to avoid...

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
This is the Opening Post, defining what this thread is about.

Are the Chosen by Faith or by Blood?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Are folks of the Chosen by Faith in Torah or is it by Blood with or without the Torah?...I mean are those of Israel by Blood only or is it by Faith, observing the Feasts and Sabbaths of HaShem and following His Mitzvot?...The Gentiles that join themselves to HaShem join themselves to those at Mt. Sinai...
Try to adhere to the topic. Certainly some thread drift is normal and natural, remember that the Ask A Jew thread has been open since before there was a Judaism forum, so take advantage of it when needed. The forum search tools are also available.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This is the Opening Post, defining what this thread is about.

Are the Chosen by Faith or by Blood?...

Try to adhere to the topic. Certainly some thread drift is normal and natural, remember that the Ask A Jew thread has been open since before there was a Judaism forum, so take advantage of it when needed. The forum search tools are also available.
Understood -- but hasn't that question been answered and then reposted, indicating that the OP has in mind a different topic?

Old 11-12-2015, 07:41 AM

22,208 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So, I've read that one must be able to trace one's ancestry (genetically?) back to the group at Sinai....
where did you read this? what is the source? we are curious to see what other religion or group or agenda is claiming what you read
it does not sound like a Jewish source
The distinction is important and necessary because this is the Judaism forum
for an "all religions, all views" approach to the topic, that would happen in the Religion and Spirituality section instead of the Judaism forum.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-12-2015 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism